Sum formula for the modified Bessel function

In summary, the conversation discussed a sum formula for the modified Bessel function and its different results when evaluated for real and complex numbers. A series expansion from wolfram.com was suggested as an alternative, which gave the same results as the 'besselk' function in MATLAB. The requirements for the function were also mentioned as a possible factor for the discrepancies in results. A code for inputting the function in MATLAB was also provided.
Hanyu Ye
Hi, everybody. Mathematic handbooks have given a sum formula for the modified Bessel function of the second kind as follows
NumberedEquation1.gif

I have tried to evaluate this formula. When z is a real number, it gives a result identical to that computed by the 'besselk ' function in MATLAB. However, when z is a complex number, the two results don't agree. What's wrong? Thanks a lot.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Hanyu,
I looked into some other series expansions, and found this one...from wolfram.com. It looks almost exactly like the one you were using above except for the ##I_n(z)## in your post was replaced by another sum formula.
upload_2015-6-2_16-47-19.png
Using this in matlab, I was able to get the same results as besselk for a sample of real and imaginary points.
So...I would look into the requirements for the function ##I_n(z)## that you were using to see if there are complications from the imaginary input.

Below is how I input it into matlab:
[\code]
function A=Kest(n,z);
expand = 10;
sum1 = 0;
for k = 0 :expand
sum1 = sum1 + (z/2)^(2*k)/factorial(k)/factorial(k+n);
end
term1 = (-1)^(n-1)*log(z/2)*(z/2)^n*sum1;

sum2 = 0;
%if n==0
%else
for k = 0:n-1
sum2 = sum2+(-1)^k*factorial(n-k-1)/factorial(k)*(z/2)^(2*k);
end
%end
term2 = sum2*1/2*(z/2)^(-n);

sum3 = 0;
for k = 0 :expand
sum3 = sum3 + (psi(k+1)+psi(k+n+1))/factorial(k)/factorial(k+n)*(z/2)^(2*k);
end
term3 = sum3*(-1)^n/2*(z/2)^n;
A = term1+term2+term3;
[/code]

1. What is the formula for the modified Bessel function?

The sum formula for the modified Bessel function is given by:

In(x) = Σk=0 (1/2k (x/2)n+2k / (k!)2)
where n is an integer and x is a real number.

2. How is the modified Bessel function used in scientific research?

The modified Bessel function is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and signal processing. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations that arise in these disciplines. It also has applications in statistics, probability, and the study of random processes.

3. Can the modified Bessel function be evaluated numerically?

Yes, the modified Bessel function can be evaluated numerically using various algorithms and software packages. Some common methods include the Taylor series expansion, asymptotic expansion, and continued fraction method. These methods provide accurate approximations of the function for a given set of parameters.

4. What are the properties of the modified Bessel function?

The modified Bessel function has several important properties, including:
- It is an entire function, meaning it is defined and analytic for all complex values of x.
- It is a solution to the modified Bessel differential equation.
- It has a series representation that can be used for numerical evaluation.
- It has a Fourier transform that is also a modified Bessel function.
- It has a relationship with other special functions, such as the hypergeometric function and the modified Struve function.

5. How is the modified Bessel function related to the ordinary Bessel function?

The modified Bessel function is closely related to the ordinary Bessel function. It can be expressed in terms of the ordinary Bessel function using the relationship:

In(x) = in Jn(ix)
where i is the imaginary unit and Jn is the ordinary Bessel function of the first kind. This relationship allows for the calculation of modified Bessel functions using existing algorithms and tables for ordinary Bessel functions.