Sum of interior angle is NOT 180, or is 0 degree?

In summary: This is a very interesting property of spherical geometry and one that has many applications in various fields.In summary, when drawing a triangle on the surface of a sphere, the sum of the interior angles will always be greater than 180 degrees. To learn more about this theory, you can search for "noneuclidean geometry" or "spherical geometry." A great circle on a sphere is the circle formed by the intersection of the surface of the sphere and a plane that passes through the center of the sphere. The maximum value of the sum of the interior angles of a triangle on the surface of a sphere is 3*180 degrees, or 540 degrees. However, for arbitrarily small triangles, the sum of the interior angles approaches 180
furtivefelon
hi, today, my teacher told us that if you draw a triangle on the surface of a sphere, you'll get a triangle with interior angle of not 180 degree, also, if you draw a triangle in a trumpet like shape, you'll get a triangle with 0 degree.. where can i find more infomation about this theory?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is correct. The sum of the angles on the surface of a sphere is > 180, but IIRC is < 180 on say the surface of a saddle. The only real word phrase I can give you to use in your search for these kind of counterintuitive situations is "noneuclidean geometry", or "spherical geometry". I'll try to fish up a good link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop quiz

What's the maximum value of the sum of the interior angles of a triangle on the surface of a sphere? :smile:

Who're you asking ?

On a sphere, a great circle is a ...

Ouch! Gokul, you're hurting my brain! What's a "great circle"? I am dying to know... just curious... :biggrin: I can't yet discern differences of a circle drawn on a sphere as opposed to a circle drawn on a flat sheet of paper.. except that a circle drawn on a sphere would be drawn around a slight bulge.

I hope that's not too dumb a question .. I'd just really like to know.

Gokul43201 said:
Who're you asking ?

Anyone who cares to jump in!

I mentally constructed a triangle whose interior angles summed to 540 degrees in my head. I say in my head because I thought of it but there's no telling whether the mental construction actually summed right in my head. I give up if it's any more than that. My head hurts now :confused:

I think you can get the sum of the angles as close to 540 degrees as you like.
Just a guess.

540 is a bit light - sorry, Vsage! :-)

Consider the intersection of 2 great circles.

A great circle is the circle that is formed by intersection of the surface of a sphere and a plane that passed through the center of the sphere. For example the equator.

Tide said:
What's the maximum value of the sum of the interior angles of a triangle on the surface of a sphere? :smile:

I'll take a wild guess: 3*360 - 180 (i.e. 900 degrees). On a sphereyou say what would appe appear to be the exterior angle sare unf act the inerior angles and the minimum value of the sum of the inetrior angles is 180 degrees in the degnerate case (not that it really makes sense to talk about the sum of the interior angles in the degenerate case).

Tide said:
540 is a bit light - sorry, Vsage! :-)
How can it be larger than 540 degrees? When measuring an angle between lines we have two choices and we always take the smaller one.
When an angle between lines gets larger than 180, we take the other angle, which is smaller than 180 degrees. So the maximum angle would be 3*180=540...
Although in this case it could mean measuring the angle outside the triangle, which is not the idea.
Hmm... on second thought, it might be possible to have an angle greater than 180 degrees, but you'd have a weird way of looking at the triangle. The sides through that point where the angles is greater than 180 degrees have to meet on the sphere and you'd be measuring the angles on the outside of the triangle, while you could just as well measure them on the inside...

Galileo,

Jcsd's wild guess is a very good one!

For arbitrarily small triangles on a spherical surface the sum of the interior angles approaches 180 degrees. However, a spherical surface has the interesting property that the remaining surface is also a triangle! An interior angle of the small triangle and the corresponding interior angle of the large triangle sum to 360 degrees.

Related to Sum of interior angle is NOT 180, or is 0 degree?

1. What is the sum of the interior angles of a triangle if it is not 180 degrees?

The sum of the interior angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees. If the sum is not 180 degrees, then it is not a valid triangle.

2. Can a polygon have interior angles that do not add up to 180 degrees?

Yes, certain polygons can have interior angles that do not add up to 180 degrees. For example, a concave polygon or a polygon with more than five sides may have interior angles that add up to more or less than 180 degrees.

3. Why is it important to know the sum of interior angles of a shape?

Knowing the sum of interior angles is important because it helps us determine the type of shape or polygon we are dealing with. It also helps us calculate missing angles or sides of a shape.

4. How can we prove that the sum of interior angles is always 180 degrees for a triangle?

The sum of interior angles of a triangle can be proven using the Triangle Angle Sum Theorem, which states that the sum of the interior angles of any triangle is 180 degrees. This theorem can be proved using algebra or geometry.

5. Are there any real-life applications of knowing the sum of interior angles of a shape?

Yes, knowing the sum of interior angles is useful in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and navigation. It helps in designing and constructing structures, calculating distances and angles, and understanding the shape of the Earth and its features.