Compound Angle Formula: Solving Double Angle Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion regarding the use of double angle formulas, specifically sin(A+B). The individual is asking for help finding the correct combination to use, as they are getting different answers every time. It is suggested to use angles that allow for exact and simple calculation of the trigonometric functions. An example is given using sin(3pi/4) and cos(2pi/3).
Farnaz
TL;DR Summary
sin(19pi/2)=?
Hi, I am confused about how to handle the double angle formula. For example, sin(19pi/12)= sin(9pi/12+10pi/12) but there can be many other options too. like sin(18pi/12+pi/12) or sin(15pi/12+4pi/12)..every time I am getting different answers. Can anyone please how find the right one? Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example where you get a different answer? And what formula are you using to expand sin(A +B)?

Farnaz said:
Summary:: sin(19pi/2)=?

You wrote ##\sin(\frac{19\pi}2)## above, but are asking about ##\sin(\frac{19\pi}{12})## below.
Farnaz said:
Hi, I am confused about how to handle the double angle formula. For example, sin(19pi/12)= sin(9pi/12+10pi/12) but there can be many other options too. like sin(18pi/12+pi/12) or sin(15pi/12+4pi/12)..every time I am getting different answers. Can anyone please how find the right one? Thanks
The "right one" is a combination that you can do something with, assuming the answers are to be exact rather than approximate ones.
For example, ##\sin(9\pi/12 + 10\pi/12) = \sin(3\pi/4 + 5\pi/6)## is better than your other choices here because the angles are such that the sine and cosine terms all have exact answers.

^I don't know what you mean by exact, none of the above is approximation.

I don't understand the op either, but I would guess he/she has two equal numbers and did not recognize them as such.

For example something like
$$\sin \left( \frac{\pi}{12} \right)=\frac{\sqrt{2-\sqrt{3}}}{2}$$
$$\sin \left( \frac{\pi}{12} \right)=\frac{\sqrt{6}-\sqrt{2}}{4}$$
these are equal even though they look different

lurflurf said:
I don't know what you mean by exact, none of the above is approximation.
I assume you're quoting what I said. The context for my remark was that the sines and cosines of certain angles can be calculated exactly and simply; for example, ##\sin(3\pi/4) = \sqrt 2/2## and ##\cos(2\pi/3) = -1/2. The trig functions of many other angles don't lend themselves such straightforward computation.

I would start with sin(19pi/12) = sin(pi + 7pi/12) = ... which leads to nice simple expressions with a suitable way to write 7pi/12 as sum.

What is the compound angle formula?

The compound angle formula is a mathematical equation used to solve double angle equations. It is also known as the trigonometric identity for double angles.

How is the compound angle formula derived?

The compound angle formula is derived from the sum or difference of two angles. It is based on the trigonometric identities for sine, cosine, and tangent.

What are the applications of the compound angle formula?

The compound angle formula is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus to simplify complex equations involving double angles. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the use of trigonometry.

How do I use the compound angle formula to solve double angle equations?

To use the compound angle formula, you need to first identify the double angle equation and then substitute the values into the formula. Once you have simplified the equation, you can solve for the unknown variable.

Are there any tips for using the compound angle formula effectively?

Yes, it is helpful to memorize the compound angle formula and practice using it with different values. You can also use other trigonometric identities to simplify the equation before applying the compound angle formula.