Does Summation Over n from -∞ to +∞ in Quantum Mechanics Equal Ψ(x)?

In summary, the question is whether ##∑cnexp(iknx) = Ψ(x)## implies that ##n## ranges from ##-∞## to ##+∞##, and the answer is that it is dependent on the context and whether it is consistent with the Fourier series in terms of complex exponentials. The range of ##n## should be specified or clear in order to be certain.
knowwhatyoudontknow
Homework Statement
Clarification of Summation index
Relevant Equations
see below
I have a (trivial) question regarding summation notation in Quantum mechanics. Does

∑cnexp(iknx) = Ψ(x) imply that n ranges from -∞ to +∞ (i.e. all possible combinations of n)? i.e.
n

∑exp(iknx)
-∞

I believe it does to be consistent with the Fourier series in terms of complex exponentials.
n = 1 to +∞ would then be used when exp(ikNx) -> sinx/cosx.

Just want to be absolutely sure. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
knowwhatyoudontknow said:
Homework Statement:: Clarification of Summation index
Relevant Equations:: see below

I have a (trivial) question regarding summation notation in Quantum mechanics. Does

∑cnexp(iknx) = Ψ(x) imply that n ranges from -∞ to +∞ (i.e. all possible combinations of n)? i.e.
n

∑exp(iknx)
-∞

I believe it does to be consistent with the Fourier series in terms of complex exponentials.
n = 1 to +∞ would then be used when exp(ikNx) -> sinx/cosx.

Just want to be absolutely sure. Thanks.
The range of ##n## should be stated or clear from the context.

1. What is summation notation in quantum mechanics?

Summation notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the sum of a series of terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑) and is often used to simplify complex equations.

2. How is summation notation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, summation notation is used to represent the sum of a series of terms, typically involving operators or states. It allows for the concise representation of complex equations and simplifies calculations.

3. What is the purpose of summation notation in quantum mechanics?

The purpose of summation notation in quantum mechanics is to represent the sum of a series of terms in a concise and efficient manner. It is also used to simplify calculations and make complex equations more manageable.

4. Can you provide an example of summation notation in quantum mechanics?

One example of summation notation in quantum mechanics is the representation of a wavefunction as a sum of basis states. This can be written as Ψ(x) = ∑cnφn(x), where cn represents the coefficient of each basis state φn.

5. How does summation notation relate to the principles of quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, summation notation is used to represent the superposition principle, which states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states at the same time. Summation notation allows for the representation of these multiple states in a concise and efficient manner.