Summation Verification: Evaluating Series with -e^t Answer

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a series and finding a function of e^rt to represent it. The person has produced a series and simplified it to -e^t, but is unsure if it is correct. They mention trying to simplify the factorial in the denominator and ask for suggestions on how to manipulate it. They also mention a possible solution using complex numbers. A link is shared for a series that represents the function of e^rt.
MathewsMD
Hi,

I'm just trying to evaluate a series and would just appreciate if someone could either verify or correct me work.

Essentially, I have a series that I've produced:

-[(t^2)/2 + (t^5)/(2x5) + (t^8)/(2x5x8) + ...]

= - *sum from n = 0 to infinity* [(t^(3n+2))/(3n+2)!] = -e^t

Sorry for the poor syntax. I'm just in a slight rush here and can hopefully fix it up sooner rather than later. Regardless, i essentially get -e^t as my answer, and if someone could verify if this is correct, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Hi,

I'm just trying to evaluate a series and would just appreciate if someone could either verify or correct me work.

Essentially, I have a series that I've produced:

-[(t^2)/2 + (t^5)/(2x5) + (t^8)/(2x5x8) + ...]

= - *sum from n = 0 to infinity* [(t^(3n+2))/(3n+2)!] = -e^t
?
How do you figure that your series equals -et?
The Maclaurin series for -et is -(1 + t + t2/2! + ... + tn/n! + ...)
MathewsMD said:
Sorry for the poor syntax. I'm just in a slight rush here and can hopefully fix it up sooner rather than later. Regardless, i essentially get -e^t as my answer, and if someone could verify if this is correct, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

Mark44 said:
?
How do you figure that your series equals -et?
The Maclaurin series for -et is -(1 + t + t2/2! + ... + tn/n! + ...)

Yes, it seems very odd and certainly not equivalent. I tried simplifying the series, but I only got to -t2 sum [t^3n/(3n+2)! But I can't quite further simplify it from here to put it in a form that seems expressible in terms of a function of e^rt. Any hints? Is there any way for me to possibly simplify the factorial in the denominator? If I change the summation from n = 0 to n = 1 (and still to infinity), this would allow it to become t^(3n - 3)/(3n - 1)!, but that still doesn't really help...

Mark44 said:
What's the problem you're trying to solve?

There's actually no specific problem...

I essentially have this series (that was found in another problem) and although there are other representations which could help me solve this, i was wondering if there was a way for me to transform this into a function of e^rt...I don't quite see any ways to do so, but would welcome any suggestions or methods. I don't quite see how having t^(3n) terms in the sum can allow for the sum to be expressed as a function of e^rt.
I was also wondering if there are other ways to manipulate the denominator factorial to help make the sum become another expression.

It is easy if you know about complex numbers
let
$$
A=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{3k}}{(3k)!} \\
B=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{3k+1}}{(3k+1)!} \\
C=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{3k+2}}{(3k+2)!} \\
t=-\tfrac{1}{2}(1+i\sqrt{3})
\text{then solve for C using}\\
e^x=A+B+C
e^{t x}=A+t B+t^2 C
\\e^{t^2 x}=A+t^2 B+t C
$$

Related to Summation Verification: Evaluating Series with -e^t Answer

1. What is summation verification?

Summation verification is a mathematical technique used to evaluate series, or the sum of a sequence of numbers. It involves using a formula or algorithm to calculate the sum of the terms in a series.

2. How is summation verification different from other methods of evaluating series?

Summation verification is different from other methods, such as direct substitution or integration, because it allows for a more efficient and accurate way of evaluating series with complex terms or infinite sums.

3. What is -e^t answer in summation verification?

-e^t answer is a common form of the answer obtained when using summation verification to evaluate a series. It often involves using the exponential function and negative values to represent the terms in the series.

4. How does one use summation verification to evaluate a series with -e^t answer?

To use summation verification to evaluate a series with -e^t answer, one would first need to identify the general term or pattern in the series. Then, they would use a series formula, such as the geometric series formula, to calculate the sum of the terms in the series.

5. What are some real-life applications of summation verification?

Summation verification can be used in various fields, such as statistics, physics, and engineering, to calculate the sum of a series of data points or values. It is also commonly used in computer programming to optimize algorithms and solve complex mathematical problems.