Problem when evaluating bounds....Is the result 1 or 0^0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a summation involving a polynomial of degree n and the Laplace transform. The issue of evaluating 0^0 is brought up, with the suggestion to take the limit as t approaches 0. It is also mentioned that in series, 0^0 is usually evaluated as 1 to ensure continuity.
nathangeo
Consider the summation ∑,i=0,n (t^(n-i))*e^(-st) evaluated from zero to infinity.

You could break down the sum into: (t^(n))*e + (t^(n-1))*e + (t^(n-1))*e + ... + (t^(n-n))*e ; where e = e^(-st)

To evaluate this, notice that all terms will go to zero when evaluated at infinity

However, when evaluated at zero, notice the last term of the summation; when i=n : (t^(0))*e^(-st)

(t^0) is equivalent to one so we could rewrite as (1). When evaluating the last term at zero, then, we obtain (1) from the e^(-st) term. But, if you think of (1) as t^0, evaluating the last term at zero will give you 0^0, or which cannot be evaluated.

My question is, how do we handle a situation like this? I can change (t^0) to (1) and then evaluate the bounds; or leave it as it is (t^0), and find that evaluating the bound at zero creates an indeterminant value.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From what it looks like, you are evaluating an integral. If that is the case, an isolated point is in general of no consequence, and the fact that you can't evaluate ## 0^0 ## does not affect the result. You can take the limit ## t \rightarrow 0 ## for the zero point.

Charles Link said:
From what it looks like, you are evaluating an integral. If that is the case, an isolated point is in general of no consequence, and the fact that you can't evaluate ## 0^0 ## does not affect the result. You can take the limit ## t \rightarrow 0 ## for the zero point.

Interesting, so that evaluates to one correct? And this is an integral. Specifically the Laplace transform of [(A_n)(t^n)] so any nth root polynomial

nathangeo said:
Interesting, so that evaluates to one correct? And this is an integral. Specifically the Laplace transform of [(A_n)(t^n)] so any nth root polynomial
If you are evaluating the Laplace transform of ## t^n ##, you might try this link: I am not sure exactly where your summation comes from.

Charles Link said:
If you are evaluating the Laplace transform of ## t^n ##, you might try this link: I am not sure exactly where your summation comes from.
It comes through inspection. And that summation doesn't appear in the problem anyways but it's similar. What I mean is a polynomial of degree n. For example if n=3 you would have A_0+A_1(t)+A_2(t^2)+A_3(t^3)

nathangeo said:
It comes through inspection. And that summation doesn't appear in the problem anyways but it's similar. What I mean is a polynomial of degree n. For example if n=3 you would have A_0+A_1(t)+A_2(t^2)+A_3(t^3)
I know the Laplace transform is a linear operator but i wanted to do it all in one operation.

In series like this, you would typically evaluate 00 as 1, as that usually makes the function continuous (if it is well-defined around 0). If your exponent is not discrete, things can get more complicated.

1. What is the concept of "bounds" in problem evaluation?

In problem evaluation, "bounds" refer to the range or limits within which a particular value or solution can fall. It helps to define the parameters of a problem and guide the process of finding a solution.

2. How does one determine whether the result of an evaluated problem is 1 or 0^0?

The result of 0^0 in problem evaluation is a commonly debated topic. In mathematics, the answer is considered to be undefined or indeterminate. In computer science, the result is often considered to be 1 for simplicity. However, it ultimately depends on the context of the problem and the interpretation of the exponentiation operation.

3. What is the significance of evaluating bounds in problem solving?

Evaluating bounds is crucial in problem solving as it helps to narrow down the possible solutions and provide a more accurate and meaningful solution. It also helps to identify any constraints or limitations that need to be considered in finding a solution.

4. Can the result of 0^0 be interpreted as either 1 or 0 depending on the context of the problem?

Yes, the interpretation of the result of 0^0 can vary depending on the context of the problem. It is important to carefully consider the mathematical and logical implications of choosing either 1 or 0 as the result.

5. Are there any real-world applications where the result of 0^0 is relevant?

The result of 0^0 is relevant in various fields such as statistics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in statistics, it is used in calculating limits and probabilities. In engineering, it is used in solving optimization problems. In computer science, it is used in programming languages to handle special cases and edge cases.