Summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions

In summary, the IUCSS Summer School is currently taking place at Indiana University, discussing the topic of Lorentz and CPT violation in the Standard Model Extension (SME). This is a generalized effective theory that adds terms to the Lagrangian to account for Lorentz violation, with constraints on coefficients from experimental data. Some incarnations of the SME also include gravity, but this requires a classical treatment and can only test gravitational and electromagnetic interactions. CPT violation implies Lorentz violation for local theories, making this topic of great interest to many scientists.
SpiffyKavu
IUCSS Summer School on the Lorentz- and CPT-violating Standard Model Extension (SME)

This program is going on now, at Indiana University. The title pretty much covers what the school is about. The SME simply takes the ordinary standard model and adds terms to the Lagrangian which violate Lorentz symmetry essentially by adding in a preferred direction via vectors and general tensors. Notes are being posted more-or-less daily at the program website.

Of course, there are an infinite number of possible terms, so most people just consider specific terms or the minimal SME, which adds only those terms which are power-counting renormalizable and gauge symmetric (under the full Standard Model gauge symmetry), along with a couple other assumptions. More more generic terms can be added, and some of these (non-power-counting renormalizable) operators have constraints on them from experiment.

It does not claim to be any fundamental theory. Rather, it only claims to construct a generalized effective theory of Lorentz violation which encompasses known physics, so these vectors and tensors added in must have small coefficients.

The most stringent bounds have so far come from astrophysical tests of the CMB and gamma-ray bursts, but other systems have been analyzed, from atomic clocks to resonant cavities to meson oscillations signals at our particle accelerators.

I must add that some incarnations of the SME DO include gravity, which has its own Lorentz violating terms added on as well. As might be expected, any treatment with non-flat backgrounds, and especially dynamical background geometry, must be a classical treatment. This means to me that the SME with gravity cannot test weak/strong interactions, only gravitational and electromagnetic.

I am slowly typing up the notes I have been taking, but the presenter's presentations are also being posted. I'm also a 2nd year grad student doing observational gamma-ray astronomy, so my notes are likely incorrect in places and certainly incomplete. We'd all, of course, love to be able to have a fundamental theory which includes both gravity and the standard model which can give us a specific low-energy effective theory, but no such model exists today, so people are somewhat content with studying all possible terms.

As a note, you might have noticed I haven't really said anything about CPT violation outside of the title. At the level of the Lagrangian, it seems that CPT violation implies Lorentz violation for local theories (Greenberg 2002 [arxiv version]).

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It's great to hear that the IUCSS Summer School on the Lorentz- and CPT-violating Standard Model Extension (SME) is currently taking place at Indiana University. This topic is definitely of interest to many scientists, including myself, as it allows us to explore the possibility of Lorentz and CPT violation in the Standard Model.

I agree that the SME is not claiming to be a fundamental theory, but rather a generalized effective theory that encompasses known physics. It's interesting to note that there are constraints on the coefficients of the added vectors and tensors from experimental data, which shows the importance of testing these theories.

I'm also intrigued by the inclusion of gravity in some incarnations of the SME. As you mentioned, this would require a classical treatment and can only test gravitational and electromagnetic interactions. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in future research and experiments.

Thank you for sharing your notes and for the reminder that CPT violation implies Lorentz violation for local theories. It's great to see that this topic is being actively studied and discussed. I look forward to reading more about the presentations and discussions at the summer school. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions?

A summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions aims to provide students and researchers with a comprehensive understanding of the theoretical framework and experimental evidence for deviations from the Lorentz symmetry in the standard model of particle physics.

2. Who can participate in a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions?

Typically, summer schools on Lorentz violating standard model extensions are open to graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and faculty members in the fields of particle physics, cosmology, and astrophysics. However, some schools may also welcome undergraduate students with a strong background in physics and mathematics.

3. What topics are covered in a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions?

Summer schools on Lorentz violating standard model extensions cover a wide range of topics such as the theoretical foundations of Lorentz violation, experimental techniques for testing Lorentz symmetry, and the implications of Lorentz violation for cosmology and astrophysics. In addition, there may be lectures and discussions on the latest research developments and open questions in this field.

4. What is the format of a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions?

The format of a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions typically includes lectures, tutorials, and hands-on workshops. There may also be opportunities for participants to present their own research and engage in discussions with experts in the field.

5. How can I apply to attend a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions?

Information on how to apply to a summer school on Lorentz violating standard model extensions can usually be found on the school's website. In most cases, interested individuals will need to submit an application form, a CV, and possibly a letter of recommendation. Some schools may also offer financial aid for participants in need.