Summer Upper Level Math Courses Online?

In summary, someone needs to take Advanced Math and Advanced Calculus online in order to apply to economics grad programs. There are some distance learning programs available, but they are expensive.
reni
Econ Major here. I plan to graduate in spring 2016 and from there apply to economics grad programs. I still need to take Advanced Math and Advanced Calculus, and Real Analysis, all of which are not available during the summer at my uni (Florida International University). Anyone know of any online distance learning programs or colleges in the South Florida area that would allow me to take any of these classes before I start applying to grad schools in the fall of 2016?

Here are the course descriptions from the FIU Math and Stats Dept page:

MAA 3200 Introduction to Advance Mathematics (3). Topics include: naive set theory, functions, cardinality, sequences of real numbers and limits. Emphasis on formal proofs.
Prerequisite: MAC 2313 (Calc III)

MAA 4211 Advanced Calculus (3). An intense study of the foundations of calculus. Topics may include: the real number system, continuity, differentiation, Riemann-Stieltjes integration, and series of functions. Note: The student must complete MAA 3200 before attempting this course.
Prerequisites: MAC 2313 (Calc III), MAS 3105 (Linear Algebra) and MAA 3200 (Adv. Math)

MAA 5616 Introduction to Real Analysis (3). Lebesgue Measure and Integral with applications to Integral Transforms. Prerequisites: Any one of MAS 3105 (Linear Algebra), MAA 4211 (Advanced Calculus), MAP 4401 (Advanced Differential Equations), or MAA4212 (Topics in Advanced Calculus).

Physics news on Phys.org
Advanced courses are hard to find online, as there is a much stronger market for introductory courses.

I do recall taking linear algebra through LSU many years ago, and LSU does have more advanced math courses available through distance learning than many other places. I'm not sure these are the ones you need though. See:

https://is.lsu.edu/courselist.asp?cat=Mathematics&nid=102&pg=

I've been wondering the same. Since I'm taking an abstract algebra and analysis unit, I've been wondering whether differential equations and PDEs units are delivered online? I'd like to take pure maths and theoretical computer science units exclusive so I'd like to fast-track the required DE/ PDE units for my program.

For that reason, I've been thinking about utilising open universities in some English-speaking developing nation like India. Theoretically, the unit costs would be significantly lower and maths is a universal language to boot. Unfortunately, I'm finding it quite daunting going through all the potential universities and wonder if anyone is familiar with providers in that part of the world.

PS:
Athabasca offers "higher-level" units...
http://www.athabascau.ca/course/ug_area/science.php

The negative is the $1,000 per unit price...

Last edited:

1. What are some examples of upper level math courses offered online during the summer?

Some examples of upper level math courses that may be offered online during the summer include Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Number Theory, and Complex Analysis.

2. Are these online math courses equivalent to in-person courses?

Yes, online upper level math courses are typically equivalent to in-person courses in terms of content and rigor. However, the format of the course may differ slightly, with online courses often having more self-study and independent work.

3. How does the online format of these courses work?

Online upper level math courses typically use a learning management system (LMS) such as Canvas or Blackboard. Students can access course materials, lectures, assignments, and exams through the LMS. There may also be virtual lectures, discussions, and office hours with the instructor.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking upper level math courses online?

Yes, there are usually prerequisites for upper level math courses, regardless of whether they are taken online or in-person. These prerequisites may vary depending on the specific course, but they typically include completing lower level math courses or having a strong understanding of fundamental math concepts.

5. Can I receive credit for these online math courses towards my degree?

Yes, most universities and colleges will accept credits earned from online upper level math courses towards a degree, just as they would for in-person courses. However, it is always best to check with your academic advisor to ensure the online course will fulfill any degree requirements.