Sun's height above the horizon

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for finding the height of the Sun above the horizon as a function of time. The first formula proposed is found to be incorrect and a new formula is presented. The conversation also mentions using special values to check the formula and its results for different latitudes, including beyond the Arctic circle.
Irid
Hi,
I'm working on a lengthy problem, and one part asks to find the height of the Sun above the horizon as a function of time. I came up to this solution:

[tex]\tan (\theta+h) = \frac{\cos (\omega t)}{\tan \phi}[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is Sun's height below (or above) the celestial equator (i.e. -23.4 deg in winter solstice), while [tex]\phi[/tex] is the latitude of observation place. [tex]\omega t[/tex] is the phase of Sun's revolution if noon is the point of reference. I've checked many times that this formula is correct, however I have problems and I suspect that this might not be correct after all, because I have a factor of about 2 missing. Can you verify that this is a correct result?
I could post my solution to obtain this formula, if necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to your formula at the equator, where phi=0?

Could you show us some of the calculatons? What is h?

Last edited:
h is height of Sun. You're right, I forgot to check the condition for phi=0. So this formula is incorrect and I've already found a fault in my solution. I'm working on a correct version, but this seems rather complicated... Thanks for you help!

OK, so now I've obtained a new result for the height of Sun h above the horizon:

[tex]\sin h = \cos \theta \cos \phi \cos (\omega t) + \sin \theta \sin \phi[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is Sun's height below (or above) the celestial equator (i.e. -23.4 deg in winter solstice), while [tex]\phi[/tex] is the latitude of observation place. [tex]\omega t[/tex] is the phase of Sun's revolution if noon is the point of reference. Can somebody verify if this is correct?

At wt = pi/2, that is at sunset, the sun is at the horizon, and its elevation should be zero. But your formula does not give this for a non-zero phi.

Shooting star said:
At wt = pi/2, that is at sunset, the sun is at the horizon, and its elevation should be zero. But your formula does not give this for a non-zero phi.

The sun doesn't always set at the same time if you're not at the equator

On the equinoxes, day and night are equal at any latitude, and wt = pi/2 at sunset. So sin h should be zero. But the formula gives otherwise.

I feel sorry for the OP, but it looks as if he doesn't give up easily. I'm sure he'll derive the right formula eventually.

Shooting star said:
On the equinoxes, day and night are equal at any latitude, and wt = pi/2 at sunset. So sin h should be zero. But the formula gives otherwise.

I feel sorry for the OP, but it looks as if he doesn't give up easily. I'm sure he'll derive the right formula eventually.

On an equinox day Sun's declination is zero, so theta=0. Then the formula becomes

[tex]\sin h = \cos 0 \cos \phi \cos \omega t + \sin 0 \sin \phi = \cos \phi \cos \omega t[/tex]

At sunset wt=pi/2, and it gives h=0, no matter what phi. Maybe I misunderstood your point, but it seems incorrect.

You're correct. I mistakenly took theta to be 23.5 deg on the equinox. Sorry.

I don't know how you have derived the formula. That's why I wanted to check it by putting special values.

What results does it give when the latitude is beyond the Arctic circle?

This formula gives polar day or night (h>0 or h<0) values for appropriate Sun's declination and observation latitude figures.

Related to Sun's height above the horizon

1. How is the sun's height above the horizon measured?

The sun's height above the horizon is measured using an instrument called a sextant, which measures the angle between the horizon and the sun.

2. Why does the sun's height above the horizon change throughout the day?

The sun's height above the horizon changes throughout the day due to the rotation of the Earth on its axis. As the Earth rotates, the sun appears to move across the sky, causing its height above the horizon to change.

3. What factors can affect the sun's height above the horizon?

The sun's height above the horizon can be affected by a variety of factors, including the Earth's tilt, the time of year, and the observer's location on the Earth's surface.

4. How does the sun's height above the horizon impact daylight hours?

The sun's height above the horizon is directly related to the amount of daylight hours. When the sun is higher above the horizon, there are more daylight hours, and when it is lower, there are fewer daylight hours.

5. How can the sun's height above the horizon be used for navigation?

The sun's height above the horizon has been used for navigation for centuries. By measuring the angle between the horizon and the sun, sailors and explorers can determine their latitude and approximate location on the Earth's surface.