Super capacitor for running DC motor

In summary, the person is planning to run a DC motor using a super capacitor. They have finalized the super capacitor and have planned to charge it to 120V and discharge it to 90V DC. They have used the formula t=[C*(V0-V1)/I] to calculate the discharge time.
Yasir
Hi,

I am planning to run a DC motor using a super capacitor. The specification of the motor are:

• Voltage : 90V - 120 V DC
  • Current : 15 A
  • Duration : Should run for atleast 10 seconds.

I have finalized this super capacitor from maxwell for the above operation http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/docs/160vmodule_ds_3000246-5.pdf

I have planned to charge this capacitor to 120V and then discharge till 90V DC.

I have used the formula:

t=[C*(V0-V1)/I] where,
t = Discharge time (sec)
C = Capacitance (F)
V0 = Initial Voltage (V)
V1 = Final Voltage (V)
I = Current (A)

Thus applying the values to the formula:
t ={5.8(120-90)/15} (120 - 90 is the voltage range for the motor, 15 is req. current)
={5.8(30)/15} (5.8 F is the capacitance of the Super cap mentioned in datasheet)
=11.6 sec.

11.6 sec which is more than what i require.

I got the above formula from Elna Supercapacitor, Illinois Capacitor Inc and Maxwell (Page 2) http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/docs/applicationnote_maxwelltestprocedures.pdf so m pretty sure about the formula.

So guys please help me here and let me know whether the calculations and the product i have finalized for running the motor for 10 seconds (atleast) is suitable or not. What problems i may face during this experiment. I have planned to use AC 110V supply with transformer/rectifier to charge the capacitor to 120 V. Do i need to add any other equipment between motor and supercap or a direct connection is sufficient.

Thanks in advance. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
C = Q / V
Q = I * t
∴ t = V * C / I
and so: dt = dv * C / I
Your 11.6 sec is correct.

To charge the capacitor to 120V DC you will need to rectify 120V / Sqr(2) = 85V AC

To protect the motor insulation, you might consider a reverse biased Schottky diode across the motor to catch any inductive kick produced during switching.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply Baluncore...
Guys all kind of suggestions are welcome...anything you want to add any modifications or any other super cap product cheaper and smaller than what i have suggested in the first post ...even if you think whatever i have posted is right, please let me know...
Thanks a lot again..

1. What is a super capacitor?

A super capacitor is an energy storage device that uses electrostatic double-layer capacitance to store and release energy. It has a higher energy density than traditional capacitors and can store and discharge energy much faster.

2. How does a super capacitor work for running a DC motor?

A super capacitor can be used to provide short bursts of power to a DC motor, allowing it to start and run smoothly. The super capacitor is charged by a power source and then releases the stored energy to the motor when needed.

3. What are the benefits of using a super capacitor for running a DC motor?

Super capacitors have a longer lifespan, faster charging and discharging rates, and higher energy density compared to traditional batteries. They also have a wider temperature range and are more environmentally friendly as they do not contain toxic chemicals.

4. How do I choose the right super capacitor for my DC motor?

The right super capacitor for your DC motor will depend on the power requirements of your motor. You should consider the voltage, capacitance, and internal resistance of the super capacitor to ensure it can meet the power demands of your motor.

5. Can a super capacitor be used as a replacement for a battery in a DC motor?

While super capacitors have many advantages over traditional batteries, they cannot store as much energy as batteries and are not suitable for long-term energy storage. Therefore, they are not usually used as a replacement for batteries in DC motors, but rather as a supplement for short bursts of power.