Superconducting magnet with HTS wire

In summary, a flat spiral coil with a width and height will produce a magnetic field that is approximately PxNxI/L. This field can be approximated using a single turn with average radius multiplied by spiral current and number of turns. To calculate the tesla strength of the magnetic field, you will need to know the inner and outer radius of the coil, as well as the number of turns.
MagnetDude
Hey guys, I am building a superconducting magnet. The wire I have is extremely thin, and is flat. To put it more into perceptive it has a width and height. When I wind it into a magnet, it is more like a disk coil, or racetrack coil. Because it has a different geometry than most other electromagnets, what equation would I use to calculate its magnetic field?

Most equations I have seen are a little something like this.

p=permeability
I=current
N=Number of turns
L=length of turn

The ones I have seen are PxNxI/L.

That goes for a solenoid mainly. The length of the coil I will make, if it were to be a disk, would be the Thickness of the wire times the number of turns, its width would have nothing relevant enough do with the calculation I would assume. After I find the turn density, what do I do? It is going to be a really weird magnet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In most cases you end up having to use numerical methods, e.g. FEM using something like COMSOL.
Analytical methods rarely work unless you have a very simple geometry (e.g. a long solenoid(

The coil I think you are describing is called a “pancake” or a “flat spiral” coil.
The question as to which model to use really depends on the inner to outer radius ratio.

A simple magnetic model is a flat conductive disk with inner and outer radii that has a sheet current circulating, the sheet current is Nturns times the spiral current. That may give you a simple analytic solution.

A first approximation of the field could be that of a single turn with the average radius, multiplied by spiral current and number of turns.

f95toli said:
In most cases you end up having to use numerical methods, e.g. FEM using something like COMSOL.
Analytical methods rarely work unless you have a very simple geometry (e.g. a long solenoid(

F95toli: This is not a long solenoid though, this is a flat solenoid. To give you more of a perceptive of this wire, here is a link to the

Baluncore said:
The coil I think you are describing is called a “pancake” or a “flat spiral” coil.
The question as to which model to use really depends on the inner to outer radius ratio.

A simple magnetic model is a flat conductive disk with inner and outer radii that has a sheet current circulating, the sheet current is Nturns times the spiral current. That may give you a simple analytic solution.

A first approximation of the field could be that of a single turn with the average radius, multiplied by spiral current and number of turns.

I just spent about 30 minutes googling what you suggested, and that you were stating seemed to be right, but all the equations I am finding are for inductance. I am not finding anything that gives me the tesla strength of the magnetic field.

There are many users of pancake coils for SC magnets.
Google 'magnetic field of pancake coil' or 'magnetic field of spiral coil' and you will get examples of flat spiral design.

What are your inner and outer radii ?
Do you need axial field only ?
http://spectronet.de/portals/visqua/story_docs/vortraege_2009/090520_measurement/090520_tag1/090520_03_andris.pdf

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
There are many users of pancake coils for SC magnets.
Google 'magnetic field of pancake coil' or 'magnetic field of spiral coil' and you will get examples of flat spiral design.

What are your inner and outer radii ?
Do you need axial field only ?
http://spectronet.de/portals/visqua/story_docs/vortraege_2009/090520_measurement/090520_tag1/090520_03_andris.pdf
Sorry for the late reply. I am only trying to fine the field that would come out of the Z axis if that is what you mean by axial field. my inner radii is .7535 CM, my outer is going to be 1.691, with 75 turns of HTS wire. I think Ill be able to do all the calculations myself, My math skills might not be that sharp for I am still in high school. I have heard the term vector before, but I forgot what it is for.

1. What is a superconducting magnet with HTS wire?

A superconducting magnet with HTS wire is a type of magnet that uses high-temperature superconducting (HTS) wire to generate a strong magnetic field. HTS wire is made of a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance at relatively high temperatures, making it more efficient than traditional superconducting materials.

2. How does a superconducting magnet with HTS wire work?

HTS wire is cooled to extremely low temperatures, typically below -200 degrees Celsius, which allows it to conduct electricity without any resistance. When an electric current is passed through the wire, it generates a strong magnetic field. This magnetic field can be controlled and directed by the shape and arrangement of the wire, making it useful for a variety of applications.

3. What are the advantages of using HTS wire in superconducting magnets?

One of the main advantages of using HTS wire is its high efficiency. Because it has zero resistance, it can generate a stronger magnetic field with less energy input compared to traditional superconducting materials. HTS wire also has a higher critical temperature, meaning it can operate at higher temperatures and does not need to be cooled to extremely low temperatures like other superconducting materials.

4. What are some practical applications of superconducting magnets with HTS wire?

Superconducting magnets with HTS wire are used in a variety of scientific and industrial applications. They are commonly used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in healthcare, particle accelerators in physics research, and in high-speed trains for magnetic levitation (maglev) technology. They are also used in magnetic separation processes, such as in mineral processing and waste management.

5. What are the challenges of using HTS wire in superconducting magnets?

The main challenge of using HTS wire in superconducting magnets is the cost. HTS wire is still a relatively new technology and can be expensive to produce. Additionally, the cooling systems required to maintain the low temperatures needed for HTS wire to function can also be costly. Another challenge is the fragility of HTS wire, which can be damaged easily if not handled properly.