Superconductors, ElectroMagnets and MagLevs

In summary, the conversation is about superconductivity and its applications, specifically in MagLev trains. The person is struggling to understand the Meissner Effect and how it relates to superconductors. They question how superconducting magnets can exist if they are supposed to reject all magnetic fields. The answer provided is that superconductors act like a solenoid coil, producing a magnetic field outside of the coil but without any poles inside or on the coil itself.
DarkLeviathan
Guys I have a problem. Maybe, it's is a stupid one, but I really need help to comprehend something.

I'm writing a report about applications of superconductivity. I chose the MagLev trains applications. Let's say, everything was fine until I read about the Meissner Effect. Now I have my mind puzzled.

So, correct me if I'm wrong: Superconductors are "perfect" diamagnets, and diamagnets and Meissner effect are supossed to reject any magnetic field inside of them and thus creating a repulsive effect... How is possible to create superconductors magnets? Shouldn't they reject every magnet no matter its poles? Are superconducting magnet's poles placed in the opposite sides of the superconductor's surface but not in inside?

Please answer that doubt, I'm beginning to lose my nerves.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, it`s because Superconductors are electromagnets. They act like a solenoid coil and not like a bar magnetic. That is, the high current produces a magentic field outside the coil but there are no poles "inside" or "on" the coil itself.

Related to Superconductors, ElectroMagnets and MagLevs

1. What are superconductors?

Superconductors are materials that have the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This phenomenon is called superconductivity.

2. What are electromagnets?

Electromagnets are temporary magnets created by passing an electric current through a wire coiled around a metal core. They can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity, making them useful in many applications such as electric motors and generators.

3. How are superconductors and electromagnets related?

Superconductors and electromagnets are related because superconductors can be used to create powerful electromagnets. Since superconductors have zero resistance, they can carry large amounts of current without losing energy, making them ideal for creating strong magnetic fields.

4. What are MagLevs?

MagLevs, or magnetic levitation trains, are a form of transportation that uses superconducting magnets to levitate and propel a train above a track. This eliminates the need for wheels and reduces friction, resulting in faster and more efficient travel.

5. What are the advantages of using MagLevs?

MagLevs offer several advantages over traditional trains, such as faster speeds, smoother rides, and less noise pollution. They also have lower maintenance costs and are more environmentally friendly, as they do not emit any pollutants.