Supercooling Drinks: How to Get That Gel-Liquid Mix

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary: I get a similar effect by freezing cola and running it through an ice shaver. Because as noted the ice isn't hard even at the fairly low temps in the freezer it tends to crumble and shave pretty readily and results in a soft liquid slush as opposed to a mound of hard ice for drizzling flavoring over.Another option is to freeze a tray of cola cubes to use in cooling a cola drink. This prevents the watering down from plain ice.
Mk
As I am drinking some supercooled lemonade, I've noticed that my favorite drinks are drinks that have been supercooled. When there is water or lemonade or any other drink left in the freezer for a while but it remains a liquid, and I open the drink for the first time— as it instantly freezes and turns to a gel-liquid mix— I love the texture and the coolness of it.

How could I build something that would supercool my drink every time? Has it been done before, and is it possible?

Thanks, didn't know what forum would be best for this post, but I thought General Discussion might expose the topic to a wide-range of people.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if supercooling is the right term here. If these are packaged drinks, the pressure is what inhibits freezing. Getting the effect you see is simply a matter of cooling them to the right temperature (simple in theory - in practice, it is a pretty narrow temp range).

If it is only pressure that inhibits freezing, why when I put a bottle of water in the freezer, isn't it always liquid, and turns to slush when I open or pour it? 99% of the time, it'll be rock hard. Is it because of the built in expanding mechanisms in a water bottle?

Unless you live in a very,very deep cave I doubt your water bottles are at the same pressure as the packaged drinks.

actually you can get the slushyness you want by getting one of those cups that you put in the freezer. I think the insides of the cups are full of alcohol and once it gets cold and you pour a drink into it it slushes right up.

Note also that the sugar and other dissolved stuff in a drink other than water will lower the freezing temperature and carbonation will in inhibit crystal formation, making them freeze as a thick slush instead of a block.

russ_watters said:
I don't know if supercooling is the right term here. If these are packaged drinks, the pressure is what inhibits freezing. Getting the effect you see is simply a matter of cooling them to the right temperature (simple in theory - in practice, it is a pretty narrow temp range).

I get a similar effect by freezing cola and running it through an ice shaver. Because as noted the ice isn't hard even at the fairly low temps in the freezer it tends to crumble and shave pretty readily and results in a soft liquid slush as opposed to a mound of hard ice for drizzling flavoring over.

Another option is to freeze a tray of cola cubes to use in cooling a cola drink. This prevents the watering down from plain ice.

1. What is supercooling and how does it work?

Supercooling is the process of cooling a liquid below its freezing point without it solidifying. This is achieved by carefully controlling the temperature and removing any impurities or disturbances that could trigger the liquid to freeze.

2. Why would someone want to supercool their drinks?

Supercooling can create a unique texture and taste for beverages. It also allows for a gel-liquid mix that can be visually appealing and fun to drink.

3. What types of drinks can be supercooled?

Most liquids with a high water content can be supercooled, including water, juices, and sodas. Alcoholic beverages with a lower alcohol content can also be supercooled.

4. Is it safe to consume supercooled drinks?

Yes, it is safe to consume supercooled drinks as long as they are not left in the supercooled state for an extended period of time. Once the drink is disturbed or reaches room temperature, it will quickly freeze and can be consumed as a regular frozen beverage.

5. How can I supercool my drinks at home?

To supercool drinks at home, you will need a clean container with a lid, a thermometer, and a freezer. Start by chilling the container in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Then, carefully pour your desired drink into the container and place it back in the freezer. Monitor the temperature until it reaches a few degrees below the freezing point of the drink. Remove the drink from the freezer, close the lid tightly, and gently shake or tap the container to trigger the liquid to freeze. Enjoy your supercooled drink!