Supercritical Fluid and subzero

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of helium at low temperatures and the potential use of this phenomenon to create perpetual motion machines. The speaker also shares their belief in the impossibility of perpetual motion machines and their thoughts on the role of inter-molecular repulsions in the movement of the fluid. The conversation ends with speculation on the possibility of reaching extremely low temperatures through this process.
rohanprabhu
I saw a video on youtube or somewhere which showed that Helium somewhere around 4-5 degrees near Subzero, becomes a supercritical fluid i.e. it has 0 viscosity. And the video showed that the liquid was coming out of the glass by climbing up the walls.

I'm pretty surprised by this.. and some people said that this could be used to make perpetual motion machines, which, however I am totally against [I'd rather believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster].

so, if the fluid is to climb by itself, it needs a force that counteracts gravity. And that force purely will act, as the glass or the container walls cease to apply any force on the fluid. As such, I think that the force is caused by inter-molecular repulsions.

However, if we build something like a perpetual motion machine [not exactly perpetual], and the fluid continuously flows up and down. Then owing to work done by inner charges, the energy of the fluid must decrease after successive flows.

In that case, the temperature of the fluid must decrease. If we continue to do it, maybe at a point, the temperature may near sub zero. We might be able to reach the lowest temperatures ever.

What are your views on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
rohanprabhu said:
I saw a video on youtube or somewhere which showed that Helium somewhere around 4-5 degrees near Subzero, becomes a supercritical fluid i.e. it has 0 viscosity. And the video showed that the liquid was coming out of the glass by climbing up the walls.

I'm pretty surprised by this.. and some people said that this could be used to make perpetual motion machines, which, however I am totally against

I am *for* them. Unfortunately, they can not exist.

[I'd rather believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster].

so, if the fluid is to climb by itself, it needs a force that counteracts gravity.

No. A gas will also "climb out" of a container. There is no "extra" force causing this to happen. etc.

And that force purely will act, as the glass or the container walls cease to apply any force on the fluid. As such, I think that the force is caused by inter-molecular repulsions.

However, if we build something like a perpetual motion machine [not exactly perpetual], and the fluid continuously flows up and down. Then owing to work done by inner charges, the energy of the fluid must decrease after successive flows.

In that case, the temperature of the fluid must decrease. If we continue to do it, maybe at a point, the temperature may near sub zero. We might be able to reach the lowest temperatures ever.

What are your views on this?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on supercritical fluid and subzero temperatures. It is indeed fascinating to see how different substances behave under extreme conditions.

As you mentioned, supercritical fluids have unique properties such as zero viscosity, which makes them flow more easily than regular liquids. This can be advantageous in certain applications, but it is important to note that it is not a perpetual motion machine. The force that allows the fluid to climb up the walls is due to intermolecular repulsions, as you mentioned, and it requires energy to maintain this flow.

While it is possible to reach very low temperatures by continuously flowing the fluid, this would require a constant input of energy. And as you pointed out, the fluid's temperature would decrease with each cycle, eventually reaching subzero temperatures. However, it is unlikely that this method could be used to reach the lowest temperatures ever, as there are other more efficient and reliable methods for achieving extremely low temperatures.

Overall, the behavior of supercritical fluids and their potential applications are still being studied and researched. It is important to approach claims of perpetual motion machines with a critical and scientific mindset, as they often defy the laws of thermodynamics. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic for discussion.

1. What is a supercritical fluid?

A supercritical fluid is a state of matter where a substance is in a state between a liquid and a gas, with properties of both. This state is achieved by raising the temperature and pressure of a substance above its critical point.

2. How is a supercritical fluid different from a regular fluid?

A supercritical fluid has unique properties compared to a regular fluid. It has a higher density, lower viscosity, and can diffuse through solids like a gas. It also has increased solubility and can be used as a solvent for substances that are not soluble in regular fluids.

3. What are some common uses of supercritical fluids?

Supercritical fluids have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in extraction processes, such as extracting caffeine from coffee beans. They are also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, food processing, and as a solvent in chemical reactions.

4. What is the significance of subzero temperatures in supercritical fluid technology?

Subzero temperatures are used in supercritical fluid technology to achieve a lower critical point, making it easier to achieve the supercritical state. This allows for a wider range of substances to be used as supercritical fluids, including carbon dioxide, which is commonly used due to its low critical point.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with supercritical fluids at subzero temperatures?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with supercritical fluids at subzero temperatures. These include the risk of freezing, as well as the potential for explosion or fire due to the high pressure and flammability of some supercritical fluids. Proper training and safety precautions should always be taken when working with these substances.