Supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a sci-fi story involving a wormhole at the edge of the solar system and the two possible locations it could lead to, M87 or the Large Magellanic Cloud. The question is then raised about the possibility of the LMC forming a supermassive black hole, to which it is concluded that while it may not be expected, it is not impossible due to the galaxy's size and known mass.
Deleted member 690984
Ok, I know, it's science fiction, you can make anything work if you really want it to. I'm planning out a sci-fi story which I wanted to try and keep as grounded as possible in believable scientific concepts. For context, the basic premise is: humanity detects a wormhole on the outer edge of the solar system, and sends an expedition through it. The two locations I had in mind as to where the wormhole could lead include either M87 or the Large Magellanic Cloud. I want a supermassive black hole to feature in the story as part of the setting (hence M87 being one of them).

My question is simple: while the LMC does not have a supermassive black hole, is it beyond the realms of possibility for it to be able to form one? The LMC is approximately 158,200 light years from Earth, so we have a 158,200 year delay on anything that occurs there. Does the LMC have enough mass contained within to form a SMBH?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can say that, "the LMC does not have a supermassive black hole". This paper puts an upper limit of about 10 million solar masses on a SMBH in the LMC. So it could easily have a SMBH of a few million solar masses, similar to the one in the center of the Milky Way. Look at Figure 10 in this paper. The rotation curves look very consistent with a SMBH of 1 million solar masses, which would be consistent with the known mass of the LMC.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, Deleted member 690984, Rive and 1 other person
Perfect! Thank you!

A SMBH in the LMC is not impossible, but it would be unexpected - it's a small galaxy with no bulge.

Likes Deleted member 690984

1. What is a supermassive black hole?

A supermassive black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape from it. It is believed to be formed from the collapse of a large amount of matter, such as stars and gas, into a single point.

2. Where is the Large Magellanic Cloud?

The Large Magellanic Cloud is a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way located in the southern hemisphere. It is approximately 163,000 light-years away from Earth.

3. How big is the supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud?

The supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud is estimated to have a mass of about 20,000 times that of our sun. It is relatively smaller compared to other known supermassive black holes in the universe.

4. How was the supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud discovered?

The supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud was discovered by astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope. They observed the movement of stars around the center of the galaxy and found that they were orbiting around an invisible object with a very strong gravitational pull.

5. Is the supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud a threat to Earth?

No, the supermassive black hole in the Large Magellanic Cloud is located far enough from Earth that it poses no threat to our planet. However, its presence may have an impact on the surrounding stars and gas in the galaxy and may play a role in the evolution of the galaxy over time.