Supersonic ballistics is nonlinear right and not solvable exactly right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and techniques to solve for the maximum distance of a 7.62x54 round, taking into account factors such as resistance and varying force angles. The accurate methods for obtaining approximations involve tables or functions based on measurements.
pablo4429
So I thought I would try to figure out the maximum distance of our 7.62x54 round. obviously I used F=ma and for resistance I used Fdrag=(mass of bullet*density of air*v^2)/ballistic constant. the v^2 terms makes the equation nonlinear and not exactly solvable right? also, the angle at which the force is acting is continually varying, which also adds to the compexity , is this correct? can someone explain some techniques to solve this or what method is used to obtain approximations.

here are the equations i started with

mx''=mPx'^2 where P is a constant from properties of the air and bullet and

my''=mLy'^2-gm where L is the same constant as above, just using sin to get the vertical component of force
i did the standard integrating with respect to t and x after moving over the correct terms, twice to get x and y as functions of t, and the final equations I got were ridiculous.

any insight would be great all
thanks

p.s. sorry about the moronic title to the thread, I rewrote it then forgot to remove a word or two

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. Is supersonic ballistics considered a nonlinear system?

Yes, supersonic ballistics is considered a nonlinear system because it does not follow a linear relationship between input and output variables.

2. What makes supersonic ballistics different from subsonic ballistics?

Supersonic ballistics is different from subsonic ballistics because it involves speeds greater than the speed of sound, which introduces additional complexities and nonlinearity.

3. Can supersonic ballistics be solved exactly?

No, supersonic ballistics cannot be solved exactly due to the nonlinear nature of the system, which means there is no single mathematical solution that can accurately predict all outcomes.

4. What methods are used to approximate solutions for supersonic ballistics?

Common methods used to approximate solutions for supersonic ballistics include numerical simulations, computational fluid dynamics, and experimental testing.

5. Are there any real-world applications for supersonic ballistics?

Yes, supersonic ballistics has many real-world applications, such as in the design and testing of high-speed aircraft and missiles, as well as in understanding the effects of supersonic shockwaves on structures and materials.