Supplementary material for standard model

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles with understanding concepts in QFT and the frustration of reading complex sentences in papers. The participants share their favorite introductory textbooks and recommend additional resources. They also mention potential discrepancies between theory and experiments in QFT.
diegzumillo
Hi all

So I took graduate level courses of QFT, Quantum Gauge theories and a course on standard model of particle physics. I struggled a lot but got decent grades, so why does it all still look greek to me? It's becoming very frustrating to read sentences like "the theory is invariant under an SO(4) ∼ SU(2)L × SU(2)R invariance, broken down to SO(3) ∼ SU(2)c in the vacuum ...". It's like knowing what each word means (not all though, there are always gaps like I'm still a little raw on the whole concept of symmetry breaking) but it takes forever to translate each sentence, and every paper sounds like that from beginning to end! There must be shortcuts I'm still unaware of.

I'm not sure what I'm asking. If anyone remembers the initial struggle after taking these courses and familiarizing with the lingo, should you have any advice or good references I'd appreciate it. How do you get that fluent in reading in this field without losing your mind?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you struggle with group theory, check

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/cosmo-SS17/index.html

If it's chiral symmetry of QCD/hadron physics, here's a very nice intro:

V. Koch, Aspects of chiral symmetry, Int. J. Mod. Phys. E 6 (1997), p. 203–250
http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0218301397000147
https://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/9706075

As an introductory textbook my favorite at the moment is

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, 2014.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used Peskin and Schroeder and Sredinicki books during those courses. They're both nice references but I could absolutely use more books. Specially introductory level, because I have islands of knowledge with detailed calculations that don't communicate with each other well enough. I hope that analogy makes sense.

Your first link shows a list of references in german. Were you trying to link to a specific reference?

diegzumillo said:
like "the theory is invariant under an SO(4) ∼ SU(2)L × SU(2)R invariance, broken down to SO(3) ∼ SU(2)c in the vacuum ...".

Section 31.2 of

vanhees71 said:
M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, 2014.

discusses this specific example, but not in any great detail.

Just wanted to check back here to thank again for the Schwartz recommendation. My copy arrived a few days ago and I can't stop reading this thing! As far as introductory books go, this is excellent! Wish I had this earlier.

Likes vanhees71
Be careful! QFT has a huge addictive potential, but it's a pretty healthy drug anyway :smile:.

vanhees71 said:
Be careful! QFT has a huge addictive potential, but it's a pretty healthy drug anyway :smile:.

I am not sure about the healthy part. When one learns about things like Haag's theorem, suffering from sleep depravation becomes a real issue, which is very unhealthy.

Likes vanhees71
Don't worry about Haag's theorem and read

A. Duncan, The conceptual frame work of quantum field theory, Oxford University Press (2012)

instead.

Orodruin said:
I am not sure about the healthy part. When one learns about things like Haag's theorem, suffering from sleep depravation becomes a real issue, which is very unhealthy.
But I wouldn't say you couldn't see it coming, with all the patches added to this framework of QFT it's a matter of time until some inconsistencies will rise.

It's like of MS windows with all the online updates... it's just a matter of time until it will c...

Well, but QFT works much better than M$'s non-operating system ;-).

vanhees71 said:
Well, but QFT works much better than M$'s non-operating system ;-).
I am not sure this is correct.

I heard a remark from my QFT2 lecturer that said that recently they have been detected some discrepancy between the theory of Feynman diagrams and experiments, or was it between Villars-Pauli regularization and experiments.

I am not sure I remember correctly, but he did say say that there's some discrepancy between theory and experiments.

Hm, I'd think it's a discrepancy between experiment and the Standard Model, everybody is eagerly looking for.

1. What is the standard model?

The standard model is a theoretical framework in physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It is the most widely accepted model for understanding the basic building blocks of the universe.

2. What is supplementary material for the standard model?

Supplementary material for the standard model refers to additional information, data, or theories that support or expand upon the existing standard model. It can include experimental results, calculations, or proposed theories that aim to further our understanding of the standard model.

3. How is the standard model used in research?

The standard model is used in research to guide and inform experiments and studies in particle physics. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior and interactions of particles, and helps scientists make predictions and test theories.

4. What are the limitations of the standard model?

The standard model is not a complete theory and has some limitations. For example, it does not account for gravity, dark matter, or dark energy. Additionally, it cannot explain certain phenomena such as the hierarchy problem and the matter-antimatter asymmetry.

5. Are there any proposed modifications to the standard model?

Yes, there are several proposed modifications and extensions to the standard model, such as supersymmetry, grand unification theories, and string theory. These aim to address the limitations of the standard model and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental particles and their interactions.