Supply Equation: Y=mx+c or S=d*Qty+c, Why P Instead of Qty?

• Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supply
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for supply, which is represented as y=mx+c or S=m*Qty+c. The use of P instead of Qty is due to the convention of graphing with quantity on the x-axis and price on the y-axis in economics. This is different from the usual mathematical convention of y=mx+c. The diagram in question is not wrong, but it needs a 90 degree counterclockwise rotation to align with the mathematical convention. The reason for this difference is due to the classical economic model where supply creates its own demand and suppliers set the price based on available resources.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
straight line equation
Relevant Equations
y=mx+c
1657595260579.png

1657595274059.png

The equation for supply should be this-:

y=mx+c

S=m*Qty+c
=c+d*Qty

Why is P used instead of Qty?
I understand that supply increases as price increases relation is used here, but I just want to think graphically. This looks wrong according to that.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The weird with the diagram is (I think) that it has the axes swapped. The quantity should be on the y-axis and the price on the x-axis.

Likes berkeman
Delta2 said:
The weird with the diagram is (I think) that it has the axes swapped. The quantity should be on the y-axis and the price on the x-axis.
this is same in almost every textbooks about this book.

it looks like 1 person wrote sth and everyone copied it. but since everywhere it's written the same, i suspect there's some logic behind it.

The diagram isn't wrong , it just isn't done the usual way we do in math. It needs a 90 degree counterclockwise rotation.

Delta2 said:
The diagram isn't wrong , it just isn't done the usual way we do in math. It needs a 90 degree counterclockwise rotation.
i mean how can that be possible? so u r trying to say the x-axis is the y-axis and vice versa, right? can we just assume that?

shivajikobardan said:
i mean how can that be possible? so u r trying to say the x-axis is the y-axis and vice versa, right? can we just assume that?
Yes that's what I am saying, the axis are swapped. It looks like instead of graphing for example ##D=a-bP## they have graphed the equivalent ##P=\frac{1}{b}(a-D)##.

Likes shivajikobardan
Delta2 said:
I just wanted to say that in Economics it is always the Quantity that comes on the x-axis and Price on y-axis.

We tend to think that "at price ##x## we would buy ##y## quantity of goods", but this system of graphing was developed when the classical model was prominent, that is "supply creates its own demand" and that "supply depends only on natural resources available (including labourers)", so suppliers used to decide the price, "Okay, we will sell our products at this price, eh?". It's more of Macroeconomic model, and then was taken in Microeconomics without any change.

• Informative
Likes pbuk, malawi_glenn, FactChecker and 1 other person
Hall said:
I just wanted to say that in Economics it is always the Quantity that comes on the x-axis and Price on y-axis.
Yes, that is exactly right. So whilst in maths we are used to the relationship y = mx + c, where m is the slope and c the y-intercept, in this case it helps to consider instead x = m'y + c' where m' is the reciprocal of the slope and c' is the x-intercept.

1. What is the supply equation and why is it important?

The supply equation, also known as the supply function, is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the quantity of a product or service supplied and its price. It is important because it helps businesses and economists understand how changes in price affect the quantity of goods or services that producers are willing to supply.

2. What is the difference between Y=mx+c and S=d*Qty+c in the supply equation?

In the supply equation, Y=mx+c represents the linear relationship between price (Y) and quantity (x) supplied, where m is the slope of the line and c is the y-intercept. S=d*Qty+c, on the other hand, represents the relationship between supply (S) and quantity (Qty) supplied, where d is the elasticity of supply and c is a constant term.

3. Why is P used instead of Qty in the supply equation?

In economics, the letter P is commonly used to represent price, while Q or Qty is used to represent quantity. This convention is used to avoid confusion and make it easier to interpret the supply equation.

4. How does the supply equation help in predicting market behavior?

The supply equation helps in predicting market behavior by showing how changes in price affect the quantity of goods or services that producers are willing to supply. This information can be used to make predictions about the behavior of suppliers in different market conditions, such as changes in demand or changes in production costs.

5. Can the supply equation be used to determine the optimal price for a product?

While the supply equation provides important information about the relationship between price and quantity supplied, it does not necessarily determine the optimal price for a product. Other factors, such as consumer demand, production costs, and competition, also play a role in determining the optimal price for a product.