Support of a Finitely Generated Module

In summary, a finitely generated module is a mathematical object constructed from a finite number of elements, called generators, using operations such as addition and multiplication. The support of a finitely generated module is the set of all non-zero elements in the module, representing its "size" or "extent" and helping to classify it into different types. The support is closely related to the generators, as it contains all elements that can be obtained by combining them using the module's operations. While the support may change if the module is modified, it will always be a subset of the generators.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
If ##R## is a commutative ring with ##1## and ##M## is an ##R##-module, the support of ##M## is defined as ##\operatorname{Supp}M = \{\mathfrak{p}\in \operatorname{Spec} R\mid M_\mathfrak{p} \neq 0\}##. Show that if ##\phi : R \to S## is a ring homomorphism and ##M## is a finitely generated ##R##-module, then $$\operatorname{Supp}(S\otimes_R M) = (\phi^*)^{-1}(\operatorname{Supp} M)$$ where ##\phi^* : \operatorname{Spec} S \to \operatorname{Spec} R## is defined by ##\phi^*(\mathfrak{q}) = \phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})##.

Likes jbergman and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Euge said:
If ##R## is a commutative ring with ##1## and ##M## is an ##R##-module, the support of ##M## is defined as ##\operatorname{Supp}M = \{\mathfrak{p}\in \operatorname{Spec} R\mid M_\mathfrak{p} \neq 0\}##. Show that if ##\phi : R \to S## is a ring homomorphism and ##M## is a finitely generated ##R##-module, then $$\operatorname{Supp}(S\otimes_R M) = (\phi^*)^{-1}(\operatorname{Supp} M)$$ where ##\phi^* : \operatorname{Spec} S \to \operatorname{Spec} R## is defined by ##\phi^*(\mathfrak{q}) = \phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})##.
Just curious, what level and course would a student be exposed to this material? Thanks.

A course in abstract algebra that covers commutative rings and modules. The concepts in this POTW stem from commutative algebra. I would say the material here is at the level of the 3rd/4th year undergraduate.

If anyone would like hints or clarification on the problem, please feel free to ask me.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and bob012345
Euge said:
A course in abstract algebra that covers commutative rings and modules. The concepts in this POTW stem from commutative algebra. I would say the material here is at the level of the 3rd/4th year undergraduate.

If anyone would like hints or clarification on the problem, please feel free to ask me.
Is ##\mathfrak{p}## a prime ideal? And what does ##M_{\mathfrak{p}}## mean? I studied some of this a while ago I am Aluffi and Jacobsen but have forgotten most of it.

jbergman said:
Is ##\mathfrak{p}## a prime ideal? And what does ##M_{\mathfrak{p}}## mean? I studied some of this a while ago I am Aluffi and Jacobsen but have forgotten most of it.

I think ##\mathfrak{p}## is a prime ideal.

Reminder:

Definition: Multiplicatively closed
Let ##R## be a ring. A subset ##S \subset R## is called multiplicatively closed if ##1 \in S##, and ##ab \in S## for all ##a,b \in S##.

Definition: Localisation of a ring
Let ##S## be a multiplicatively closed subset of a ring ##R##. Then
$$
(a,s) \sim (a',s') : \Leftrightarrow \text{ there is an element } u \in S \text{ such that } u (as' - a's) = 0
$$
is an equivalence relation on ##R \times S##. We denote the equivalence class of ##(a,s) \in R \times S## by ##\frac{a}{s}##. The set of all equivalence classes
$$
S^{-1} R := \left\{ \frac{a}{s} : a \in R , s \in S \right\}
$$
is then called the localization of ##R## at the multiplicatively closed set ##S##. It is a ring together with the addition and scalar multiplication
$$
\frac{a}{s} + \frac{a'}{s'} := \frac{as' +a's}{ss'} \quad \text{and} \quad \frac{a}{s} \cdot \frac{a'}{s'} = \frac{aa'}{ss'} .
$$

Complement of a ring with respect to a prime ideal is a multiplicatively closed set. Proof:
We must have ##1 \in R / \mathfrak{p}## because ##\mathfrak{p}## is proper being a prime ideal. For if ##1 \in \mathfrak{p}##, then would have ##r = r1 \in \mathfrak{p}## for all ##r \in R##, implying ##R = \mathfrak{p}##. Contradicting that ##\mathfrak{p}## is proper.
Suppose ##a,b \in R / \mathfrak{p}## but ##ab \not\in R / \mathfrak{p}##. This means that ##a,b \not\in \mathfrak{p}## but ##ab \in \mathfrak{p}##. This contradicts the definition of a prime ideal, and therefore we must have ##ab \in R / \mathfrak{p}##.

If ##S = R / \mathfrak{p}## is the complement of a prime ideal ##\mathfrak{p}##, then ##S^{-1} R## is denoted ##R_\mathfrak{p}##.Definition: Localisation of a module
Let ##S## be a multiplicatively closed subset of a ring ##R##, and let ##M## be an ##R-##module. Then
$$
(m,s) \sim (m',s') : \Leftrightarrow \text{ there is an element } u \in S \text{ such that } u (s'm - sm') = 0
$$
is an equivalence relation on ##M \times S##. We denote the equivalence class of ##(m,s) \in M \times S## by ##\frac{m}{s}##. The set of all equivalence classes
$$
S^{-1} M := \left\{ \frac{m}{s} : m \in M , s \in S \right\}
$$
is then called the localization of ##M## at ##S##. It is an ##S^{-1} R-##module together with the addition and scalar multiplication
$$
\frac{m}{s} + \frac{m'}{s'} := \frac{s'm +sm'}{ss'} \quad \text{and} \quad \frac{a}{s} \cdot \frac{m'}{s'} = \frac{am'}{ss'}
$$
for all ##a \in R##, ##m,m' \in M##, and ##s,s' \in S##.If ##S = R / \mathfrak{p}## is the complement of a prime ideal ##\mathfrak{p}##, then ##S^{-1} M## is denoted ##M_\mathfrak{p}##.

Last edited:
Likes jbergman
jbergman said:
Yes, ##\mathfrak{p}## is a prime ideal. The set ##\operatorname{Spec}R## is the spectrum of ##R##, the set of all prime ideals of ##R##.

To solve this problem, consider showing that ##\mathfrak{q}\notin (\phi^*)^{-1}(\operatorname{Supp} M) \iff \mathfrak{q}\notin\operatorname{Supp}(S \otimes_R M)## using Nakayama's lemma.

I hope you enjoyed the challenge! Here is my solution.

If ##\mathfrak{q}\notin (\phi^*)^{-1}(\operatorname{Supp}M)##, the localization ##M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})} = 0##. Thus $$(S\otimes_R M)_\mathfrak{q} \simeq S_\mathfrak{q}\otimes_S(S\otimes_R M) \simeq S_\mathfrak{q}\otimes_R M\simeq (S_\mathfrak{q}\otimes_{R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}) \otimes_R M\simeq S_\mathfrak{q}\otimes_{R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}=0$$ which shows ##\mathfrak{q}\notin \operatorname{Supp}(S\otimes_R M)##.

Conversely, if ##\mathfrak{q}\notin \operatorname{Supp}(S\otimes_R M)##, by the above calculation ##S_\mathfrak{q}\otimes_{R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})} = 0##. Let ##k(\mathfrak{q})## and ##k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))## be the residue fields of ##S_\mathfrak{q}## and ##R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}##, respectively. Suppose ##\mathfrak{m}## is the maximal ideal of ##R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}##. There are isomorphisms \begin{align*}0 &= k(\mathfrak{q})\otimes_{k(\mathfrak{q})} (S_\mathfrak{q} \otimes_{R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})})\\ &\simeq k(\mathfrak{q}) \otimes_{R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}\\ &\simeq (k(\mathfrak{q}) \otimes_{k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))} k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))) \otimes_{R_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}\\
&\simeq k(\mathfrak{q}) \otimes_{k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))} \frac{M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}}{\mathfrak{m}M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} \end{align*} Since ##M## is a finitely generated ##R##-module, ##M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}/\mathfrak{m}M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}## is a finite-dimensional vector space over ##k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))##, say, of dimension ##n##. Then ##k(\mathfrak{q}) \otimes_{k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))} \frac{M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}}{\mathfrak{m}M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}} \simeq k(\mathfrak{q}) \otimes_{k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))} [k(\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q}))]^n \simeq k(\mathfrak{q})^n##. It follows that ##k(\mathfrak{q})^n = 0##, so ##n = 0##; this forces ##M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})} = \mathfrak{m}M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})}##. Nakyama's lemma implies ##M_{\phi^{-1}(\mathfrak{q})} = 0##, i.e., ##\mathfrak{q}\notin (\phi^*)^{-1}(\operatorname{Supp} M)##.

1. What is a finitely generated module?

A finitely generated module is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and operations defined on those elements. It is generated by a finite number of elements, meaning that every element in the module can be expressed as a linear combination of the generators.

2. How is the support of a finitely generated module defined?

The support of a finitely generated module is defined as the set of all elements in the module that are needed to generate all other elements. In other words, it is the set of generators and any elements that are required to express them as linear combinations.

3. Why is the support of a finitely generated module important?

The support of a finitely generated module is important because it provides information about the structure and properties of the module. It can help determine the dimension of the module, its submodules, and its quotient modules.

4. How is the support of a finitely generated module calculated?

The support of a finitely generated module can be calculated by finding the minimal set of generators for the module and then determining which additional elements are needed to express those generators as linear combinations. The resulting set is the support of the module.

5. Can the support of a finitely generated module change?

Yes, the support of a finitely generated module can change if the set of generators is changed. Adding or removing generators can change the support of the module and affect its structure and properties.