Surface Area of Hollowed Hemisphere - Basic Geometry

In summary, to find the total surface area of the hollowed out hemisphere, we use the formula for surface area of a sphere and halve it to account for the hemisphere. The outer hemisphere has a radius of 1.25 cm, giving it a surface area of 2∏(1.25cm)2. The inner hemisphere has a diameter of 1.86cm, giving it a surface area of 2∏(.93cm)2. Adding these two values together, we get approximately 15.25 cm2. However, there is also a ring on the top that needs to be accounted for, which increases the surface area to approximately 17.44 cm2. If the numbers do not match
anniecvc
I need to find the total surface area of the hollowed out hemisphere (picture attached), with an inner diameter of 1.86 cm and what looks like an outer radius (also what I am assuming as height) of 1.25 cm.

Surface area of a sphere is 4∏r2, so half the sphere is 2∏r2.
Since the outer hemisphere has a radius of 1.25 cm, its SA is 2∏(1.25cm)2. The inner hemisphere has a diameter of 1.86cm, therefore a radius of .93 cm. Inner hemisphere then as a SA of 2∏(.93cm)2. Adding the two SA, I get:

2∏(1.252+.932) = apprx. 15.25 cm2.

However, the back of the book says the correct answer is apprx 17.44 cm2. So what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 560
Physics news on Phys.org
hi anniecvc! :smile:

erm :redface:

what about the ring on the top? :wink:

thank you tiny tim! i included it before it and the numbers didn't work out, but now it does, so i must've made a simple calculation error. thanks again.

Related to Surface Area of Hollowed Hemisphere - Basic Geometry

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a hollowed hemisphere?

The formula for finding the surface area of a hollowed hemisphere is SA = 2πr2, where r represents the radius of the hemisphere.

How is the surface area of a hollowed hemisphere different from a solid hemisphere?

The surface area of a hollowed hemisphere is different from a solid hemisphere because the hollowed hemisphere has a cavity inside, while the solid hemisphere is completely filled. This means that the hollowed hemisphere has a larger surface area than the solid hemisphere.

What are some real-life examples of objects with a hollowed hemisphere shape?

Some real-life examples of objects with a hollowed hemisphere shape include bowls, swimming pool filters, and bells.

How can the surface area of a hollowed hemisphere be used in practical applications?

The surface area of a hollowed hemisphere can be used in practical applications such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover the inside of a bowl, or determining the amount of material needed to construct a swimming pool filter. It can also be used in engineering and architecture for designing structures with a hollowed hemisphere shape.

Are there any limitations to using the surface area of a hollowed hemisphere formula?

One limitation of using the surface area of a hollowed hemisphere formula is that it assumes the shape is a perfect hemisphere with a uniform thickness. In real-life scenarios, this may not always be the case, which can lead to slightly inaccurate calculations. Additionally, the formula only applies to hollowed hemispheres and cannot be used for other shapes.