Surface Brightness at any angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that requires the calculation of surface brightness of a flat surface at any angle based on a constant source function. The problem also includes considering limits at different optical depths and explaining why brightness is not infinite at a certain angle. The conversation also mentions the use of an integral formula in the solution, but there is uncertainty about its accuracy and the handling of the optical depth portion of the problem. The conversation ends with a request for posting the image directly to potentially receive more responses.
dykuma

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the problem
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bps6ga2o4hjpgw/hw4.png?dl=0
For those who don't want to click the link, basically the problem wants me to calculate the surface brightness of a flat surface at any angle if the source function S = B(T), which is a constant.

It then wants me to consider limits at optical depths τ<<1 and τ >>1, and to know why brightness is not infinite at θ = π/2,

Homework Equations

Non were provided. My guess for the first part is that I should use something similar to
F=∫ I⋅Cos(θ) dΩ. I have no idea for the second part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that for a flat source Ω=2π, so the result of this integral may be F= I⋅2π⋅Cos(θ), however, then the
second question makes no sense, as Cos(π/2)=0 (unless that's the point). Further, I don't know if that is even the right equation, as I am not sure I want flux for this.

I am also unsure how to handle the optical depth portion of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
dykuma said:

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the problem
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bps6ga2o4hjpgw/hw4.png?dl=0
For those who don't want to click the link, basically the problem wants me to calculate the surface brightness of a flat surface at any angle if the source function S = B(T), which is a constant.

It then wants me to consider limits at optical depths τ<<1 and τ >>1, and to know why brightness is not infinite at θ = π/2,

Homework Equations

Non were provided. My guess for the first part is that I should use something similar to
F=∫ I⋅Cos(θ) dΩ. I have no idea for the second part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that for a flat source Ω=2π, so the result of this integral may be F= I⋅2π⋅Cos(θ), however, then the
second question makes no sense, as Cos(π/2)=0 (unless that's the point). Further, I don't know if that is even the right equation, as I am not sure I want flux for this.

I am also unsure how to handle the optical depth portion of the question.
You may get more response if that image is posted directly.

upload_2016-9-24_21-36-23.png

You may get more response if that image is posted directly.

Thank you! I was unable to do so, I apologize.

I'm going to bump this question one more time. I can literally find nothing about this problem online, or in two different textbooks.

What is surface brightness at any angle?

Surface brightness at any angle refers to the measure of the amount of light emitted or reflected from a surface at a specific angle. It is used to describe the overall brightness of an object or surface, taking into account the angle at which it is viewed.

How is surface brightness at any angle measured?

Surface brightness at any angle is typically measured in units of magnitude per square arcsecond (mag/arcsec^2). This unit represents the amount of light received from a surface per unit area and is commonly used in astronomy and other fields of science.

What factors can affect surface brightness at any angle?

Surface brightness at any angle can be affected by various factors, such as the distance of the object from the observer, the type of surface material, and the angle at which the surface is viewed. Other factors like atmospheric conditions and the presence of dust or other obstructions can also impact surface brightness.

Why is surface brightness at any angle important in astronomy?

Surface brightness at any angle is an important measure in astronomy as it helps astronomers to study and understand celestial objects. It can provide information about the composition, temperature, and distance of objects in space, and is often used to compare the brightness of different objects.

How can surface brightness at any angle be calculated?

Surface brightness at any angle can be calculated by taking into account the luminosity of the object, its distance, and the angle at which it is viewed. This calculation can be done using specialized instruments and software or through manual calculations using established formulas.