Surface of protein channel in membranes

In summary, there is limited information available on the surface structure of protein channels. Most diagrams depict them as cylindrical tubes with a smooth surface, but more detailed documentations are not readily available. These large molecules are not rigid objects and may exhibit bending, but the exact surface structure remains unclear.
Joppy
MHB
Do we know roughly what the surface of a protein channel looks like? In most of the diagrams they are depicted as a sort of cylindrical tube with a smooth surface, but I'm curious if there are some more detailed documentations somewhere? For example I know they aren't rigid objects and may be subjected to a sort of 'bending', but I can't find any info on the surface structure.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Joppy said:
Do we know roughly what the surface of a protein channel looks like? In most of the diagrams they are depicted as a sort of cylindrical tube with a smooth surface, but I'm curious if there are some more detailed documentations somewhere? For example I know they aren't rigid objects and may be subjected to a sort of 'bending', but I can't find any info on the surface structure.

Hey Joppy!

Just my 2 cents.

I think they are just large molecules with no particular surface other then some fuzzly-wuzzly feebly-weebly shape.
We would just picture them as cylindrical tubes with some artificial surface details to explain what they do based on what we've observed them to do.

I like Serena said:
Hey Joppy!

Just my 2 cents.

I think they are just large molecules with no particular surface other then some fuzzly-wuzzly feebly-weebly shape.
We would just picture them as cylindrical tubes with some artificial surface details to explain what they do based on what we've observed them to do.

Mmmm. Fuzzly-wuzzly feebly-weebly shape it is then! :) Thanks.

1. What is the structure of a protein channel in a membrane?

The structure of a protein channel in a membrane is typically a hollow tube made up of amino acids arranged in a specific sequence. This tube is embedded within the lipid bilayer of the membrane and allows for the selective transport of molecules in and out of the cell.

2. How does a protein channel in a membrane function?

A protein channel in a membrane functions by utilizing specific amino acids that act as gatekeepers to control what molecules can pass through. This allows for the maintenance of a specific internal environment within the cell, while also facilitating the transport of necessary molecules.

3. What types of molecules can pass through a protein channel in a membrane?

The types of molecules that can pass through a protein channel in a membrane vary depending on the specific channel and its location within the cell. Generally, protein channels can transport ions, small molecules, and even larger molecules like proteins or nucleic acids.

4. How is the surface of a protein channel in a membrane determined?

The surface of a protein channel in a membrane is determined by the arrangement of amino acids within the channel. This arrangement, along with the size and shape of the channel, determines which molecules can pass through and how they interact with the channel surface.

5. What is the importance of protein channels in membrane biology?

Protein channels in membranes are crucial for maintaining the proper balance of molecules within a cell and regulating cellular processes. They also play a role in communication between cells and allow for the exchange of nutrients and waste products, making them essential for the survival and function of cells and organisms.