Why Do We Use Frustrums Instead of Disks to Find the Surface of Revolution?

In summary, when calculating the surface of revolution, we can use either disks or fustrums to sum up the individual surface areas. However, for solids of revolutions, it is more accurate to use fustrums due to the difference in formulas and resulting integrals.
Bipolarity
When I learned solids of revolutions, we divided the solid into infinitely thin "disks" and then summed up their individual volumes to get the volume of the surface.

Now in surface of revolutions, we are divided the solid into infinitely thin fustrums and summing up their individual surface area to get the total surface area of the solid.

My question is: Why can't we just use disk to find the surface of revolution by summing up the surface areas of infinitely thin disks? Why use a fustrum for the surface of revolution but not for the solid of revolution?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Office_Shredder said:
I have never heard the term frustum before so googled it. The notes here
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/SurfaceArea.aspx

seem to suggest that they are doing exactly what you propose. Can you explain the difference?

It seems that surface of revolution only works with fustrum but not with disks.
I have done the calculations, and because the formula for surface of a disk is different from that for a fustrum, the integrals come out different.

Interesting, for solids of revolutions, it doesn't matter whether you use disks or fustrums.

Or maybe I am making a mistake.

BiP

Hi Bipolarity! :smile:
Bipolarity said:
Why can't we just use disk to find the surface of revolution by summing up the surface areas of infinitely thin disks? Why use a fustrum for the surface of revolution but not for the solid of revolution?

Because the error in the volume is πx(dx)2tanθ / πx2dx, which -> 0 as dx -> 0, so i's ok to use a disc instead of a frustrum.

(And the error in the area is secθ - 1)

1. What is a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional geometric shape created by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis. The resulting shape resembles a three-dimensional object with circular symmetry.

2. What are some real-life examples of surfaces of revolution?

Some common real-life examples of surfaces of revolution include spheres (such as a basketball or the Earth), cylinders (like a soda can or a pillar), and cones (like an ice cream cone or a traffic cone).

3. How are surfaces of revolution used in mathematics?

Surfaces of revolution are used in mathematics to study geometric shapes and their properties. They are also used to model real-world objects and phenomena, such as the shape of the Earth or the trajectory of a thrown ball.

4. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a surface of revolution?

The formula for finding the surface area of a surface of revolution is A = 2π∫ab y√(1 + (dy/dx)2) dx, where y is the function describing the curve and a and b are the limits of integration.

5. How are surfaces of revolution related to calculus?

Surfaces of revolution involve the use of calculus, specifically integration, to find their surface area and volume. They also play a role in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.