Are there more flexible formulas for finding the area of surfaces of revolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different formulas for calculating volumes and areas of surfaces of revolution. The speaker initially used two expressions for area, which worked for rotations about any horizontal/vertical axis. They are now questioning the use of specific formulas for rotations about the x or y axis and wondering if a less specific formula, such as ##2\pi r## for the circumference, would work for all rotations. They also mention confusion about adding or subtracting areas in the "washer" case, as opposed to the volume case. Finally, there is a discussion about using different functions and axes for calculating volumes and areas.
PFuser1232
When I learned about volumes of solids of revolution, I never really memorized any formulas for specific cases per se. I used two expressions for area, either ##A = \pi (R^2 - r^2)## and ##A = 2\pi r h##.
Those expressions worked for rotations about any horizontal/vertical axis (not necessarily ##x## or ##y##) and for all functions.
Now I'm learning about areas of surfaces of revolution, but all the "formulas" or integrals online seem to be solely for rotations about one of the axes (##x## or ##y##). Is it possible to use a formula that is less specific, for instance, ##2\pi r## for the circumference? This would work for all rotations and it does not obscure the essence of deriving formulas for areas of surfaces of revolution. Also, in the "washer" (for lack of a better word) case, aren't we supposed to add the areas, unlike the volume case where we had to "subtract the volumes"? It seems very obvious to be, but I wanted to make sure since there is no reference to this particular case online.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always replace x by y.
Usually you have a function y(x), and rotating this function around different axes makes the problem different. Sometimes you can find a function x(y).
MohammedRady said:
Also, in the "washer" (for lack of a better word) case, aren't we supposed to add the areas, unlike the volume case where we had to "subtract the volumes"?
I don't understand that question.

MohammedRady said:
Also, in the "washer" (for lack of a better word) case, aren't we supposed to add the areas, unlike the volume case where we had to "subtract the volumes"?
mfb said:
I don't understand that question.
I don't, either. If you are using washers to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution, with a curve that is revolved around the x-axis, the volume of a typical volume element is ##\Delta V = \pi (R^2 - r^2)\Delta x##. For a given volume element you're subtracting the volume in the hole from the total volume. In the integral, you're essentially adding all of the volume increments, so perhaps this is what you meant.

What is the "Area of surface of revolution"?

The "Area of surface of revolution" refers to the total surface area of a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional curve or shape around an axis. This is often used in calculus to find the surface area of objects such as cones, cylinders, and spheres.

How is the "Area of surface of revolution" calculated?

The area of surface of revolution can be calculated using a specific formula, depending on the shape being rotated. For example, the formula for finding the surface area of a cone is A = πr2 + πrl, where r is the radius of the base and l is the slant height. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific shape being rotated.

What are some real-world applications of the "Area of surface of revolution"?

The "Area of surface of revolution" has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the surface area of a propeller or turbine blade, the volume of a water tank or oil drum, or the surface area of a satellite or other curved object.

What are some common misconceptions about the "Area of surface of revolution"?

One common misconception about the "Area of surface of revolution" is that it is the same as the volume of the shape being rotated. However, while the volume represents the space enclosed by the shape, the surface area is the total area of the outer surface. Another misconception is that the shape must be a perfect circle or ellipse in order to use the formula for surface of revolution, when in fact it can be any curved shape.

Are there any limitations to using the "Area of surface of revolution" formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the formula for surface of revolution. For example, it may not accurately represent the surface area of a shape with irregular curves or sharp edges. Additionally, the formula assumes that the shape being rotated is symmetrical, so it may not be accurate for asymmetrical shapes. In these cases, more advanced mathematical methods may be needed to find the surface area.