Surface temperature of the Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radiant energy flux density and how to calculate it at the Earth in terms of the Sun's temperature. There is a question about why the calculation involves multiplying the solar constant of the Earth by its surface area, and a clarification is made that the correct calculation involves using the cross-sectional area of the Earth. There is also a question about why the calculation involves multiplying by the tangent squared, which is explained to be a part of the formula for calculating the energy emission at a certain distance from the Sun.
Shackleford
This looks to be a fairly straightforward problem. I'm not sure why I'm having trouble.

The radiant energy flux density is the energy emission per unit area. Why would I not simply multiply the solar constant of the Earth times the surface area of the Earth? Of course, it would be a plane area approximation. Then, whatever that energy emission value that is, set it equal to the Stefan-Boltzmann constant*(TE)4*4pi*(RE)2?

Is the radiant energy flux density multiplied by the area equal to the power?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110318_204153.jpg?t=1300499036

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The cross section of the Earth you would use is not its surface area. It will be Pi*R^2. It is the area of the shadow that the Earth would cast on a plane perpendicular to the sun's intensity vectors.

AlexChandler said:
The cross section of the Earth you would use is not its surface area. It will be Pi*R^2. It is the area of the shadow that the Earth would cast on a plane perpendicular to the sun's intensity vectors.

Sorry, I was ambiguous. I meant plane area approximation, not surface area.

How do you calculate the radiant energy flux density at the Earth in terms of the Sun's temperature?

The manual has

JE = sigmaB*(TS)4*[(RS)/(DE)]2

I'm not quite sure why they multiplied it by the tangent squared.

Why did they multiply it by [(RS)/(DE)]2?

Related to Surface temperature of the Earth

1. What is the average surface temperature of the Earth?

The average surface temperature of the Earth is approximately 15 degrees Celsius (59 degrees Fahrenheit). This is based on a global average of temperatures from both land and ocean surfaces.

2. How does the surface temperature of the Earth affect climate change?

The surface temperature of the Earth is a key factor in climate change. As the Earth's temperature increases, it can lead to changes in weather patterns, sea level rise, and the melting of polar ice caps. These changes can have significant impacts on the environment and ecosystems.

3. How is the surface temperature of the Earth measured?

The surface temperature of the Earth is measured using a variety of methods, including satellite data, ground-based weather stations, and ocean buoys. These measurements are taken at various locations around the globe and are used to calculate an average temperature for the entire Earth.

4. What factors can influence the surface temperature of the Earth?

The surface temperature of the Earth is influenced by a variety of natural and human-made factors. These include changes in solar radiation, volcanic eruptions, greenhouse gas emissions, land use changes, and aerosols in the atmosphere.

5. How has the surface temperature of the Earth changed over time?

The surface temperature of the Earth has fluctuated over time, but the recent trend is one of overall warming. According to NASA, the Earth's average temperature has increased by about 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) since the late 19th century. This increase is largely attributed to human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.