How Does Surface Tension Affect Pressure Between Non-Wetting Plates?

In summary: He proposes an equation for the force required to hold two plates together due to the surface tension of the liquid between them. He is unsure of the intuitive reasoning behind this equation and wonders if the pressure in the liquid between the plates is higher or lower than the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere.
Aias

Homework Statement

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanic...cs-spring-2013/assignments/MIT2_06S13_ps2.pdf
Problem 7[/B]

Homework Equations

##F=2*V/(a^2)*\sigma*cos(180-\theta)##

The Attempt at a Solution

With the problem statement given, it seems like the component of surface tension in the vertical direction on the upper plate would be in the same direction as the proposed required force due to the surface being non-wetting, thus no need for an actual force F to hold the plates together. I don't see what kind of force would want to push the plates apart? I came to that equation after some fiddling around, it seems like it could be correct, but I don't have an intuitive understanding why it would be so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aias said:

Homework Statement

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanic...cs-spring-2013/assignments/MIT2_06S13_ps2.pdf
Problem 7[/B]

Homework Equations

##F=2*V/(a^2)*\sigma*cos(180-\theta)##

The Attempt at a Solution

With the problem statement given, it seems like the component of surface tension in the vertical direction on the upper plate would be in the same direction as the proposed required force due to the surface being non-wetting, thus no need for an actual force F to hold the plates together. I don't see what kind of force would want to push the plates apart? I came to that equation after some fiddling around, it seems like it could be correct, but I don't have an intuitive understanding why it would be so.
As a result of the surface tension effect, is the pressure in the liquid between the plates higher of lower than the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere?

Chet

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin, elastic film. It is caused by the cohesive forces between molecules on the surface of the liquid, which creates a layer of tension that resists external forces.

Why is surface tension important?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the formation of droplets, the floating of objects on water, and the ability of small insects to walk on water. It also has practical applications, such as in detergents and surfactants, where it helps to reduce surface tension and allow for better cleaning.

What factors affect surface tension?

The strength of surface tension is affected by several factors, including the type of liquid, temperature, and the presence of impurities or surfactants. Generally, liquids with stronger cohesive forces, such as water, have higher surface tension. Higher temperatures also tend to reduce surface tension, while impurities and surfactants can decrease it significantly.

How is surface tension measured?

The most common unit of measurement for surface tension is the dyne per centimeter (dyn/cm), which represents the force needed to break a film of liquid one centimeter long. This can be measured using various methods, such as the capillary rise method, where the height to which a liquid rises in a small tube is used to calculate surface tension.

What are some real-world applications of surface tension?

Surface tension has several practical applications, such as in the production of soaps and detergents, where it helps to reduce surface tension and allow for better cleaning. It is also used in the production of liquid droplets, such as in inkjet printing and spray coatings. Additionally, surface tension is important in the transportation of water and nutrients in plants and the movement of blood in our bodies.