Surjection Between Mapping Class Grp. and Symplectic Matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a "natural surjection" between M<sub>g</sub> and the group of symplectic 2gx2g-matrices, which is related to an action of M<sub>g</sub> on H<sub>1</sub>(S<sub>g</sub>,Z) induced by Dehn twists. The kernel of this action is the Torelli group, and the Wikipedia article on the mapping class group provides more information on this subject. The conversation also touches on the automorphisms in Mg and how they relate to homology.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

I am reading a paper that refers to a "natural surjection" between M<sub>g</sub>

and the group of symplectic 2gx2g-matrices. All I know is this map is related to some

action of M<sub>g</sub> on H<sub>1</sub>(S<sub>g</sub>,Z). I think this

action is define by/as the induced maps on homology by the D<sub>i</sub> , i.e.,

the Dehn twists that generate S<sub>g</sub>. I think the kernel is the Torelli

group, but I am not sure.

Any Ideas/Refs.?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about this subject but this Wikipedia article seems to briefly answer your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapping_class_group#Torelli_group

Look at the section on the Torelli group.

I gather from the blurbs in Wikipedia that the mapping class group of an orientable surface acts on the first Z- cohomology of the surface which through the cup product is a linear symplectic manifold. The action preserves the cup product and hence the linear symplectic form that the cup product determines. The reason that the cup product determines a symplectic form is because for a 2 manifold the bilinear form is antisymmetric.

The kernel of the action is called the Torelli group.

Last edited:
Thanks, Lavinia:

I just had a dumb confusion; the issue is that every automorphism in Mg gives

rise to an automorphism in homology, and Tg is the kernel of this general assignment

( of the homology functor, I guess) , i.e, the subgroup of automorphisms

that induce the identity map in homology. Sorry, just to make up for my dumb question;

I was confused because I believed since the induced maps (by a diffeo.) are isomorphisms,

that they fixed homology, i.e., were the identity, but this is clearly not the case.

Phew... feels good to get it out of my system. Now, I got to go deal with

ugly level-2 prime congruence subgroups of Sp(2g,Z). Later.

Related to Surjection Between Mapping Class Grp. and Symplectic Matrices

1. What is a surjection between mapping class groups and symplectic matrices?

A surjection between mapping class groups and symplectic matrices is a map that takes elements from the mapping class group and maps them onto elements of the symplectic matrix group in a way that preserves the structure and properties of both groups. This map is onto, meaning every element in the symplectic matrix group has at least one corresponding element in the mapping class group.

2. What are mapping class groups and symplectic matrices?

Mapping class groups are groups of diffeomorphisms on a surface, which preserve the surface's topology and are defined up to isotopy. Symplectic matrices are square matrices with special properties that preserve the symplectic form of a vector space. Both groups have important applications in mathematics and physics.

3. How are mapping class groups and symplectic matrices related?

Mapping class groups and symplectic matrices are related through their connection to symplectic geometry. The mapping class group of a surface can be represented by symplectic matrices acting on the surface's symplectic vector space. This allows for the study of mapping class groups through the lens of symplectic geometry.

4. Why is the surjection between mapping class groups and symplectic matrices important?

The surjection between these two groups provides a bridge between two important areas of mathematics - topology and symplectic geometry. It allows for a deeper understanding and study of both groups and their properties. Additionally, this surjection has important applications in areas such as low-dimensional topology and mathematical physics.

5. Are there any open questions or areas of research related to this topic?

Yes, there are still many open questions and areas of research related to the surjection between mapping class groups and symplectic matrices. Some of these include finding new connections between the two groups, exploring the implications of this surjection for other areas of mathematics, and studying the properties of symplectic matrices that arise from this connection.