Surjection: Is f^-1(X) Surjective? Why?

• Thread starter patfan7452
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surjection
In summary, the question is whether the inverse image of a surjective function from the natural numbers to a set X is also surjective. However, the inverse image is not necessarily a function unless the original function is bijective. It may be a set of natural numbers. Therefore, the correct question may be whether the inverse image equals the natural numbers, regardless of the surjectivity of the function.
patfan7452
If a function f: N-->X is surjective , is f^-1(X) (its inverse image) also surjective? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
f^-1(X) isn't a function...

Anyways, have you looked at any examples?

Hurkyl meant: isn't a function unless f is one-one, i.e. injective and surjective, i.e. bijective. Was this a trick question from some problem set?

No, Chris, I don't believe that's what Hurkyl meant! I started to interpret f-1(X) as if it were f-1(x) and say "that's not necessarily a function", but f-1(X) is the "inverse image" of X. It's not a function for the very good reason that f-1(X) is a set of natural numbers.

I suspect that the correct question was "If f: N->X is surjective is f-1(X)= N?" If I understand what is meant by "f:N->X", then "surjective" is irrelevant. For ANY function f:N->X, that is, "to every point in N assigns a point in X", f-1(X)= N.

Related to Surjection: Is f^-1(X) Surjective? Why?

1. What is a surjection in mathematics?

A surjection, also known as a "onto" function, is a type of function in mathematics where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, for every y in the range, there exists an x in the domain such that f(x) = y.

2. How is a surjection different from an injection?

A surjection is different from an injection in that an injection is a type of function where every element in the range is mapped to by at most one element in the domain. In other words, for every y in the range, there exists at most one x in the domain such that f(x) = y. This means that an injection is a one-to-one function, while a surjection is an onto function.

3. What does it mean for f^-1(X) to be surjective?

If f^-1(X) is surjective, it means that the inverse function of f, denoted as f^-1, is a surjection. This means that for every element in the range of f^-1, there exists an element in the domain of f^-1 that maps to it. In other words, for every y in the range of f^-1, there exists an x in the domain of f^-1 such that f^-1(x) = y.

4. Why is it important to determine if f^-1(X) is surjective?

Determining if f^-1(X) is surjective is important because it helps us understand the nature of the inverse function of f. If f^-1(X) is surjective, it means that the inverse function is able to map every element in the range of f back to the domain of f, which can be useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems.

5. What are some examples of surjective functions?

Some examples of surjective functions include the square function, f(x) = x^2, where every positive real number has a square root, and the absolute value function, f(x) = |x|, where every real number has a corresponding positive value. Other examples include logarithmic and exponential functions, as well as polynomial functions with odd degrees.