Survivability in 1 psi zone: How screwed am I?

In summary, the presumed explosion is 800 kilotons air burst and the blast radius is 14.7km from the presumed target. The house is brick built, modern double glazed windows and is in the 1 psi zone. There is no information to suggest that I am not at risk. Some calculators can provide information on nuclear blast effects. The best advice is to prepare for the worst and to move to Bamfurlong if necessary.
mjagz81
TL;DR Summary
hi - calculate damage
HI,

Id like someone to assist me please. the nearest what I would consider nuclear target is 14.7km from my house as the crow flies.

The presumed explosion is 800 kilotons air burst

My house is brick built, modern double glazed windows. Diagonal on from the explosion. Nuke map indicates I am in the 1 psi zone. Not sure how much to trust Nukemap?

Where I live is the blue bit? How survivable and screwed am i?
bang.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard the new season of Midsomer Murders is stepping up its game, but wow.

• Haha
Likes Borg
mjagz81 said:
Where I live is the blue bit? How survivable and screwed am i?
Google around and you will find some pretty good nuclear blast effects calculators.

Move to Bamfurlong. Will be faster.

Likes hutchphd
Get a copy of The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, Third Edition, by Glasstone and Dolan. It has 660 pages of more than you ever wanted to know about the subject. And it will answer your question.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman
mjagz81 said:
How survivable and screwed am i?
No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
John Donne.

Look after your family and community now, they represent your future, and it might be the last chance you have.

Likes hutchphd
Surely that is public domain. I think the entire quote is called for

'No Man is an Island'​

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

/

Good replies, so the thread is closed.

1. What factors affect survivability in a nuke blast?

The survivability in a nuke blast depends on several factors, including the distance from the blast, the size and type of the bomb, and the type of shelter or protection available. Other factors such as age, health, and physical location can also impact survivability.

2. Is there any way to survive a direct hit from a nuke blast?

Surviving a direct hit from a nuke blast is highly unlikely. The intense heat and pressure from the blast can cause severe injuries and damage to the body. However, taking shelter in a well-built underground bunker or reinforced concrete structure can increase the chances of survival.

3. How long can someone survive in a fallout shelter after a nuke blast?

The duration of time someone can safely stay in a fallout shelter after a nuke blast depends on several factors, including the level of radiation exposure, the amount of supplies and resources available, and the individual's physical health. It is recommended to stay in a shelter for at least 2 weeks, but it may be necessary to stay longer depending on the severity of the blast and resulting fallout.

4. Can radiation from a nuke blast be treated?

There is no specific treatment for radiation exposure from a nuke blast. However, medical professionals can provide supportive care to manage symptoms and prevent further damage. It is essential to seek medical attention as soon as possible after exposure to radiation.

5. How can I prepare for a nuke blast and increase my chances of survival?

Some ways to prepare for a nuke blast include creating a disaster plan with your family, building or identifying a shelter, stocking up on emergency supplies and resources, and staying informed about potential threats. It is also essential to follow any evacuation or shelter-in-place orders from authorities during a nuclear attack.

Back