Survival of the Fittest: The Ultimate Dilemma on the Titanic

• Thread starter BadBrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conference
In summary, the conversation discussed a conference on Climate Change and the Future of Nuclear Power being held at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. There was a delay in receiving the notice and the speaker jokingly suggested using a wormhole to travel back in time to attend the conference. The conversation then took a humorous turn as they imagined landing on the Titanic and trying to figure out what to do.
BadBrain
In this past Saturday's mail, I received the Fall 2011 New England Section Newsletter of the American Physical Society which proudly announces a conference on Climate Change and the Future of Nuclear Power to be held at the University of Massachusetts Amherst on Friday and Saturday, November 18-19, 2011.

:confused::confused::confused:

Seeing as this was a mass mailing, I believe it highly unlikely that I was the only member to receive this notice on Saturday, November 19, 2011, the SECOND DAY OF THE CONFERENCE! (Then again, such is not forbidden by the laws of physics, and as the great Richard Feynman himself said: "Anything not forbidden by the laws of physics is compulsory.".

So, should I feel personally slighted? If I were Heisenberg, I would be uncertain!

:rofl:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
That is late.

Yeah, OK, so I edited it from "Fall 2001" to "Fall 2011".

Just a typo. Sorry!

Just jump into your neighborhood wormhole and ride a CTC back to the beginning of the conference.

jtbell said:
Just jump into your neighborhood wormhole and ride a CTC back to the beginning of the conference.

That's it!

You've solved my problem!

OH, NO!

I'VE LANDED ABOARD THE TITANIC (which just so happens to be fully equipped with free Wi-Fi access (pretty good for 1912, hey?))!

What do I do now?

Romance a beautiful woman, sleep with her then convince her to give up her spot on the lifeboat for you

1. What is the purpose of the "Late Notice to APS Conference" notification?

The "Late Notice to APS Conference" notification is meant to inform attendees that the deadline for submitting abstracts or registering for the conference has passed. This serves as a reminder to those who may have missed the initial deadline and provides important information about late registration options and potential penalties.

2. Can I still submit an abstract or register for the APS Conference after receiving the late notice?

Yes, you can still submit an abstract or register for the APS Conference after receiving the late notice. However, late submissions may be subject to a fee and may not be guaranteed a spot in the conference program or preferred presentation time.

3. What is the reasoning behind the strict deadlines for the APS Conference?

The strict deadlines for the APS Conference are necessary to ensure the timely organization and scheduling of the event. The conference committee must have enough time to review and select abstracts, assign presentation times, and coordinate other logistics. Additionally, strict deadlines help to maintain fairness and consistency for all participants.

4. I have a valid reason for missing the initial deadline, can I still submit my abstract or register for the APS Conference without penalty?

It depends on the specific circumstances and the discretion of the conference organizers. It is best to contact the conference committee directly to explain your situation and request an exception. They may be able to accommodate your request, but it is not guaranteed.

5. Is there any flexibility with the late registration fees for the APS Conference?

Again, this will depend on the conference organizers and their policies. Some conferences may offer discounted late registration fees for certain groups, such as students or international attendees. It is best to check the conference website or contact the committee to inquire about any potential flexibility with late registration fees.