Surviving a Poster Session: The Rollercoaster of Emotions and Experiences

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poster
In summary, Franz presented his work on asteroseismology of FG Vir to a small audience at a research symposium. He had some interesting results, but had some concerns with them. He is still working on a project focused on some nonstandard modifications to the stellar model codes. He is looking forward to presenting his work at the asteroseismology conference next summer.
franznietzsche
My first time, and my mentor was in England that week, so I was all on my own. That was fun.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your poster about, and where was the session at?

Gokul43201 said:
What was your poster about, and where was the session at?

Student and Postdoc Research Symposium here at Los Alamos.

I presented the work I had done so far on asteroseismology of FG Vir. Had some interesting results, but a lot of concerns with them as well. The work had focused on some non-standard modifications to the stellar model codes we use that were motivated by stellar hydrodynamics work done by a few guys at U of Az who I met earlier in the summer. Still working on that project, hoping to have a paper written by the end of the summer (still 4 weeks away for me).

Good for you! That's quite an accomplishment to survive your first ever poster presentation without your mentor nearby to rescue you if needed. Was there any other senior member of the lab present to help?

Moonbear said:
Good for you! That's quite an accomplishment to survive your first ever poster presentation without your mentor nearby to rescue you if needed. Was there any other senior member of the lab present to help?

No, I was quite on my own. The other student working on asteroseismology with my mentor had already headed back to school for the year, and the others were all working on completely different things. Although it wasn't an astrophysics conference, so there weren't too many people directly familiar with the material. However there has been some talk of me presenting this at the asteroseismology conference next summer :bugeye:

franznietzsche said:
No, I was quite on my own. The other student working on asteroseismology with my mentor had already headed back to school for the year, and the others were all working on completely different things. Although it wasn't an astrophysics conference, so there weren't too many people directly familiar with the material. However there has been some talk of me presenting this at the asteroseismology conference next summer :bugeye:
Wow! Franz! That is awesome!:cool:
*pats Franz on the back*

Going by the reaction of the pros, and your description of the subject matter, I got to say congrats. :cool:
Now would someone care to tell me what the hell a 'poster' is?

best way to survive a poster session is to stay away from your poster!

Thanks, Matt; that really cleared it up for me. :rolleyes:

Danger said:
Going by the reaction of the pros, and your description of the subject matter, I got to say congrats. :cool:
Now would someone care to tell me what the hell a 'poster' is?

Exactly what it sounds like. I described it to my non-science majoring friends back home as 'Professional Science Fair'. You have a poster that quickly summarizes your work, with some relevant descriptions/data.

matt.o said:
best way to survive a poster session is to stay away from your poster!

:smile:

I did a bit of that. Went around and interrogated the other astrophysics presenters. One guy had done SPH simulations of planet formation in a 50 AU binary system. Interesting stuff. The girl who was next to me worked in the Detonation Experiments divisions. She got to fire projectiles at high explosives and blow stuff up in her research. I just get to play with computers :frown: . Of course, astrophysical explosions are much better. :biggrin:

Oh... okay. That sounds like it must be pretty tough. How the hell can you summarize something like an astroseismology study onto a piece of Bristolboard?

I might not be around for the answer. W just came upstairs and said 'Tell your girlfriend goodnight.' She can't get it through her head that this isn't some kind of online dating service. (As if I could ever be interested in a Bush fan...:rolleyes: )
Anyhow, congrats again. Good work, dude.

Danger said:
Oh... okay. That sounds like it must be pretty tough. How the hell can you summarize something like an astroseismology study onto a piece of Bristolboard?

Well, actually the display areas are about six feet by 3 feet (though I actually thought we had twice as much space, so I had waayy too much stuff).

I might not be around for the answer. W just came upstairs and said 'Tell your girlfriend goodnight.' She can't get it through her head that this isn't some kind of online dating service. (As if I could ever be interested in a Bush fan...:rolleyes: )

Huh?

Ugh, conferences are really painful...especially the poster sessions. Glad to hear you survived.

Danger said:
an astroseismology study
Asteroseismology - the internal structure of stars (Latin - I think: aster = star)

Good job, Franz. Maybe you can hook up with the girl-next-board and work on some explosions!

Last edited:
Congratulations, Franz!

Danger, a 'poster' is a summary of one's work, as opposed to a paper and presentation. Many scientific/technical conferences have poster sessions as well as paper sessions.

In a poster session, people wander around in the same room looking at different posters, as opposed to listening to one person give a presentation in front of an audience.

franznietzsche said:
Huh?
She thinks that you're a girl. She thinks that anyone I interact with on line is a girl. I showed her Astro's picture, and she thinks that he's a girl :bugeye: . (I admit that there are some pretty hairy women in her family, but that's a stretch.)

Astronuc said:
Danger, a 'poster' is a summary of one's work, as opposed to a paper and presentation.
I think that I've got it. Is that then equivalent to the (abstract?) that comes with a paper?

Sorry about screwing up the name of the subject. I'm so used to other people's typos that I 'corrected' it automatically. :redface:

franznietzsche said:
The girl who was next to me worked in the Detonation Experiments divisions. She got to fire projectiles at high explosives and blow stuff up in her research.
Oh, man, I really missed my calling!

Where's the green-with-envy smilie?

Danger said:
She thinks that you're a girl. She thinks that anyone I interact with on line is a girl. I showed her Astro's picture, and she thinks that he's a girl :bugeye: . (I admit that there are some pretty hairy women in her family, but that's a stretch.)

I think that I've got it. Is that then equivalent to the (abstract?) that comes with a paper?

Sorry about screwing up the name of the subject. I'm so used to other people's typos that I 'corrected' it automatically. :redface:

No, posters have abstracts like papers do (sometimes the same abstracts, in my case I just reworked my poster abstract into A&A format for the paper I'm trying to get written). In my case, the poster was actually made from a set of powerpoint slides (which will also form the basis of a technical talk I'm going supposed to give to X division at some point. That will be scary, given that I will be giving the talk to some of the people who are the definitive experts in asteroseismology.)

Math Is Hard said:
Oh, man, I really missed my calling!

Where's the green-with-envy smilie?

Well just think, if you want to make a living blowing stuff up, just become a physicist.

Congratulations Franz! Do you have a picture you can post?

Evo said:
Congratulations Franz! Do you have a picture you can post?

Pictures? Nope. Although, there are supposed to be pictures of the session as a whole available to us at some point, no word on that as of yet.

Congratulations and damn you!:smile:

Danger said:
Anyhow, congrats again. Good work, dude.
:smile: :smile:

Hmmm...maybe if I had a bf like you I felt the same way!:-p

1. What is a poster session?

A poster session is an event at a conference or scientific meeting where researchers present their work in the form of a poster. It is an opportunity for scientists to share their findings and get feedback from their peers.

2. How do I prepare for a poster session?

To prepare for a poster session, you should carefully plan the layout and design of your poster, making sure to include all necessary information and visuals. It is also important to practice presenting your poster and be prepared to answer questions from attendees.

3. What should I include in my poster?

Your poster should include a title, introduction, methods, results, conclusions, and references. You should also include visuals such as graphs, charts, and images to help illustrate your findings.

4. How do I make my poster stand out?

To make your poster stand out, you should use clear and concise language, include visually appealing graphics, and use a well-organized layout. You should also make sure your poster is easy to read from a distance and includes key takeaways that will catch the attention of attendees.

5. How can I make the most of my poster session experience?

To make the most of your poster session experience, be sure to engage with other attendees and presenters, ask for feedback on your poster, and take notes on any interesting ideas or discussions that arise. It is also important to follow up with any potential collaborators or contacts you make during the session.