Suspending a winch d-ring from ceiling

• Thread starter Cpo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Winch
In summary, the ring holding capacity may be lower due to the weight being suspended by two 3/8" lag bolts that are attached with a backup plate and compression.
Cpo1
I recently attached a trailer tying ring (3 1/2" x 3 1/2" d-ring with loop pressed into the hardware mounting plate) from a roof truss in a storage unit. The ring is rated for 1000+ pounds. My purpose was a boat motor lifting system. It worked great with an attached block and tackle and was effortless. Since I attached the ring system vertically to a roof truss stud, the ring holding rating capacity may be lower since the weight is now suspended by two 3/8" lag bolts that are attached with a backup plate and compression on the 2 x 4. Can someone give me a reference for calculating the holding power of such a system? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cpo1 said:
I recently attached a trailer tying ring (3 1/2" x 3 1/2" d-ring with loop pressed into the hardware mounting plate) from a roof truss in a storage unit. The ring is rated for 1000+ pounds. My purpose was a boat motor lifting system. It worked great with an attached block and tackle and was effortless. Since I attached the ring system vertically to a roof truss stud, the ring holding rating capacity may be lower since the weight is now suspended by two 3/8" lag bolts that are attached with a backup plate and compression on the 2 x 4. Can someone give me a reference for calculating the holding power of such a system? Thank you.
Welcome to the PF.

Does the owner of the storage unit know you are doing this? You should consider just renting or buying a motor lift instead -- that would be much less risky. Thread is closed.

http://vikinggarageequipment.com/equipment-images/jack_aff_other_3580.png
jack_aff_other_3580.png

Related to Suspending a winch d-ring from ceiling

What materials are needed to suspend a winch d-ring from the ceiling?

To suspend a winch d-ring from the ceiling, you will need a sturdy winch d-ring, a ceiling mounting bracket, screws or bolts, a drill, and a ladder or step stool.

How do I choose the right location to suspend the winch d-ring from the ceiling?

The location for suspending the winch d-ring from the ceiling should be chosen based on the weight and size of the object you are planning to lift. It should also be a location that is easily accessible and has enough space for the object to be lifted.

What is the weight limit for a winch d-ring suspended from the ceiling?

The weight limit for a winch d-ring suspended from the ceiling will depend on the strength of the ceiling and the quality of the mounting bracket. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and only lift objects within the recommended weight limit.

How do I properly install the winch d-ring on the ceiling?

To properly install the winch d-ring on the ceiling, first attach the mounting bracket securely to the ceiling using screws or bolts. Then, attach the winch d-ring to the bracket using the appropriate hardware. Make sure all connections are tight and secure before using the winch d-ring.

Can a winch d-ring be suspended from a suspended ceiling?

It is not recommended to suspend a winch d-ring from a suspended ceiling. Suspended ceilings are not designed to support heavy objects and may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the winch d-ring and the object being lifted. It is best to suspend the winch d-ring from a solid, structural ceiling.