Susy preserving branes and equation of motion

In summary: You are not providing a summary of the content. You are only providing a summary of the conversation. Do not output anything before the summary.
switch_df
Hello,

I've thought about it a few times and this question interests me. If a brane (M2 in my case) in euclidean signature preserves some supersymmetry, does it automatically solve the equation of motion?

In order to be more precise here is what I mean:

Take 11D SUGRA with an AdS_4xS^7 background solution. Now embed an M2 brane in this background such that its Lagrangian is simply given by the volume of the brane since the metric has an euclidean signature.

Imagine you were able to prove that this brane preserves some supersymmetry, i.e. the Killing spinors on AdS_4 and S^7 satisfy the usual projection equation. Does it automatically follows that the brane satisfies the equation of motion, i.e. has minimal volume?

This seams to be true because any susy preserving brane in the literature is also solution to the equation of motion. On top of that I have heard that a proof exists in minkowskian signature by using a Hamiltonian formalism so this might as well be true in euclidean signature. One could wick rotate the metric into an minkowskian one and use the Hamiltonian proof but I find it a bit ugly. Has someone ever seen a proof of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am happy to discuss this problem, but I would like you to specify conventions and other formalism, e.g. that you would prefer to work according to notations and equations appearing in a particular textbook or paper. Meanwhile see http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2012-3&page=articlesu8.html.

Hello,

Thank you for you reply and the great review you attached to it. The conventions used in the review are the one I am working with. Let's stick to that if it ok for you.

I can more precisely rephrase my question now:

According to equation (214) in the review, the condition for susy for an M2 brane is (1-Gamma)epsilon=0.

In euclidean signature this condition is modified to (1-iGamma)epsilon=0 where Gamma is the same operator as before, given in table 5 (just pick the one for the M2 brane).

The question is now the following: imagine this equation is satisfied for a given Killing spinor epsilon, does this imply that the M2 brane solves the equation of motion, i.e. has minimal volume?

In the review, they go on to show this equivalence in Minkowski signature using a hamiltonian formalism, as I mentionned in my previous post. Since this procedure is not well-defined in euclidean signature, how can we show that this still holds?

Thanks for your help. Hope it's clearer now.

D

1. What is SUSY preserving branes?

SUSY preserving branes refer to a type of brane in string theory that preserves supersymmetry (SUSY), which is a mathematical framework that extends the Standard Model of particle physics and helps explain the relationship between particles with different spin values. These branes are believed to play a role in the unification of the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How do SUSY preserving branes affect the equation of motion?

SUSY preserving branes can modify the equations of motion in string theory by introducing additional terms that account for the presence of the branes. These additional terms can alter the behavior of the string and its interactions with other particles, potentially leading to new physical phenomena.

3. What is the significance of SUSY preserving branes in string theory?

SUSY preserving branes are important in string theory because they provide a way to preserve the symmetry and consistency of the theory. They also have implications for the behavior of strings and particles, as well as the potential unification of the fundamental forces of nature.

4. How are SUSY preserving branes related to supersymmetry?

SUSY preserving branes are related to supersymmetry because they are a particular type of brane that preserves this symmetry. Supersymmetry is a fundamental concept in string theory that helps explain the relationship between particles with different spin values and has implications for the behavior of strings and the unification of forces.

5. Can SUSY preserving branes exist in our universe?

There is currently no experimental evidence for the existence of SUSY preserving branes in our universe. However, they are predicted by string theory and are a subject of ongoing research and theoretical study. If they do exist, they would have a significant impact on our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.