Swinging an object in a vertical plane

In summary: Indeed. For completeness I'll post it here:##F_C = F_T - F_G####F_T = \frac{mv^2}{r} + mg = 3.95N##Only two sig figs allowed, so ##F_T = 4.0N##.In summary, an object with a mass of 0.100kg and attached to a 0.25m long rope can maintain circular motion with a minimum speed of 1.6m/s. The tension in the string at the bottom of the circular path can be calculated using the equation F_C = F_T - F_G, where F_T is the tension force, F_C is the centripetal force, and F_G
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of 0.100kg is attached to a 0.25m long rope and swung in a circle in the vertical plane.

What is the slowest speed possible speed that the object can swing and maintain circular motion? What is the tension in the string at the bottom of the circular path?

Homework Equations

##m = 0.100kg##
##r = 0.25m##
##g = 9.8m/s^2##

##F_{net} = F_C = \frac{mv^2}{r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The tension in a circular loop changes; it goes from a maximum at the bottom to a minimum at the top. At the top, where the force of gravity is helping the object turn, there is a moment when only the force of gravity is turning the object. In this instant, the tension force equals zero, the centripetal force equals the force of gravity and the minimum speed can be derived.

##F_T = F_C - F_G##
##\Rightarrow v = \sqrt{gr} = 1.56m/s##

Only 2 significant figures allowed, so the min speed would be 1.6m/s.

Now the second part of the question confused me at first. There's no way the min speed = the max speed, and the max speed is needed to calculate the tension. I know that the maximum speed would be at the bottom of the circular path, but I have no way of finding the velocity from the information given. So that leads me to believe the question wants me to assume the object is following the circular path (lets say clockwise) until it reaches the bottom.

This involves taking an energy based approach to the problem. The energy in a system remains constant by the law of conservation of energy. The object will gain speed (kinetic energy increases, gravitational decreases) as it rotates from top to bottom and then will lose speed as it rotates from the bottom to the top (kinetic energy decreases, gravitational increases). Using these ideas we can find a velocity to work with because the kinetic energy + gravitational energy add up to the total mechanical energy. So first notice that the diameter from the top to the bottom of the circle is going to be ##2r## in length, that is, the height from the top of the circle to the bottom is ##h = 0.50m##.

Using this height, the gravitational energy at the top of the circle can be calculated ##E_G = mgh = 0.49J##.

Now ##E_G → E_K## as the object travels down:

##E_K = (0.5)mv^2##
##v = \sqrt{\frac{2E_K}{m}} = 3.13m/s##

Using this I can easily calculate the tension force from ##F_C = F_T - F_G##. Does this sound reasonable at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
Now ##E_G → E_K## as the object travels down:

##E_K = (0.5)mv^2##
##v = \sqrt{\frac{2E_K}{m}} = 3.13m/s##

Using this I can easily calculate the tension force from ##F_C = F_T - F_G##. Does this sound reasonable at all?

everything else was perfectly clear, but this part needs a little correction. If you are applying conservation of energy, remember that the object had some velocity/speed at the top. You have to include this while calculating speed at the bottom.

##E_G + E_K = (0.5)mv^2##

the ##E_G## is gravitational potential energy at the top relative to bottom level.
##E_K## is the kinetic energy at the top.
v is the required velocity at the bottom.

and now as you already know, you can calculate tension in the string at the bottom.

Using this I can easily calculate the tension force from ##F_C = F_T - F_G##.

NihalSh said:
everything else was perfectly clear, but this part needs a little correction. If you are applying conservation of energy, remember that the object had some velocity/speed at the top. You have to include this while calculating speed at the bottom.

the ##E_G## is gravitational potential energy at the top relative to bottom level.
##E_K## is the kinetic energy at the top.
v is the required velocity at the bottom.

and now as you already know, you can calculate tension in the string at the bottom.

Hm, so the kinetic energy at the top of the circular path would be ##E_K = (0.5)mv^2 = (0.5)(0.100)(1.6)^2 = 0.128J##.

Also the gravitational energy at the top would be ##E_G = 0.49J##.

##v = \sqrt{\frac{E_G + E_K}{(0.5)(0.100)}} = 3.51m/s##

So the velocity at the bottom would be approx 3.51m/s.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
Hm, so the kinetic energy at the top of the circular path would be ##E_K = (0.5)mv^2 = (0.5)(0.100)(1.6)^2 = 0.128J##.

Also the gravitational energy at the top would be ##E_G = 0.49J##.

##v = \sqrt{\frac{E_G + E_K}{0.5m}} = 3.51m/s##

So the velocity at the bottom would be approx 3.51m/s.

yes, exactly. Now figuring out tension is simple enough.

NihalSh said:
yes, exactly. Now figuring out tension is simple enough.

Indeed. For completeness I'll post it here:

##F_C = F_T - F_G##
##F_T = \frac{mv^2}{r} + mg = 3.95N##

Only two sig figs allowed, so ##F_T = 4.0N##.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of swinging an object in a vertical plane?

The purpose of swinging an object in a vertical plane is to observe and study the principles of circular motion and centripetal force. It can also be used to demonstrate the effects of gravity and inertia on the object being swung.

2. How do you determine the speed of an object being swung in a vertical plane?

The speed of an object being swung in a vertical plane can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the object to complete one full rotation and using the formula v = 2πr/t, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the swing, and t is the time in seconds.

3. What factors affect the period of a swing in a vertical plane?

The period of a swing in a vertical plane is affected by the length of the swing, the mass of the object, and the force applied to the object. A longer swing, a heavier object, and a larger force will result in a longer period of the swing.

4. How does the angle of the swing affect the motion of the object?

The angle of the swing can affect the motion of the object by changing the direction of the centripetal force acting on the object. A smaller angle will result in a more circular motion, while a larger angle may cause the object to move in a more elliptical path.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when swinging an object in a vertical plane?

Yes, safety precautions must be taken when swinging an object in a vertical plane. It is important to ensure that the object being swung is securely attached to the string or rope, and that there is enough space around the swing to avoid any collisions. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as goggles, when conducting experiments with swinging objects.