Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU design troubleshooting

In summary, the conversation involves an individual working on a switch mode psu in step down configuration with key components being LM2592, 530-PC-24-1000, and GSIB-25. They have encountered an issue where the power supply is outputting 18.6 vdc to a 5watt load of LEDs, with Vin reading 19.5 vdc and feedback to ground reading 0.75 vdc. They seek methods to troubleshoot this issue and receive suggestions to try a resistive load and a regulated lab PSU for input, as well as adjusting the ratio of R2/R1 to around (10/1.23) -1. After further discussion, it is discovered that the
TG_MechE
I am working on a switch mode psu in step down configuration with the key components being:
LM2592 (adj) http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2592hv.pdf
530-PC-24-1000 http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/643/PC-594199.pdf
GSIB-25 http://www.vishay.com/docs/88646/gsib25xx.pdf

Using a slightly modified version of the example circuit where:
R2 = 23.82 KOhm
L1 = 100 mH
The diode on the left is not included but CFF is included as vin does not exceed 40vdc.
nf0ec4.jpg

I am using /HALF/ of the transformer and ending up with 20vdc at the output of the rectifier. (reading into this, it appears higher loads and adjustments of the filter capacitor should drop this down closer to 12vdc.) initially with both windings of the transformer attached, the rectifier was outputting a stunning ~40 vdc.

^this is not my issue however... (at least i don't think)

At the moment the power supply is outputting ~18.6 vdc... (to a 5watt load of LEDs)
With Vin reading 19.5 vdc and feedback to ground reading 0.75 vdc.

I am not sure why i am getting practically no step-down?

Adjusting R2 seems to have minimal affect on the output voltage.

It's also important to note that the LM2592 produces little to no heat... slightly disturbing..

Does anyone have a clue of some methods to troubleshoot this issue?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well... For first run I would try to start it with resistive load and a regulated lab PSU for input. I think it'll be the inadequate amount of input filtering and low output load.
Also, you defined L1 as 100mH, but is the component OK for the current? By the way, are you sure it's a good idea to drive LEDs from medium grade fixed voltage source?

Likes TG_MechE and davenn
I second Rive's observations.

My guess would be your 470 uf input capacitor is a bit skinny .
Pulling an amp out of a 470 uf drops its voltage 2.1 volts per millisecond,
ΔV/ΔT = I/C and there's 8 milliseconds between line cycle peaks.

Try tacking a 1000uf in parallel and see what happens?

And i hope by 100mh for your inductor you meant 100 Micro-henries not Milli-henries. Got a datasheet for it?

If the two secondary windings on the transformer are identical and isolated, then you might consider running them in parallel to reduce the resistive heat losses in the transformer secondary.

LEDs may just confuse things. You need to use a better defined resistive load during testing. I would start with a couple of 12 ohm, 10 watt, wire wound resistors in series.

It might help if you posted a photo of your circuit board with the components installed.

TG_MechE said:
...Does anyone have a clue of some methods to troubleshoot this issue?

You made a great first step right here:

TG_MechE said:
At the moment the power supply is outputting ~18.6 vdc... (to a 5watt load of LEDs)
With Vin reading 19.5 vdc and feedback to ground reading 0.75 vdc.
My high school electronics teacher lectured us boys "When all else fails , read the directions."
From that datasheet:
upload_2017-3-17_6-2-52.png

Feedback pin 4 wants 1.23 volts and is getting but 0.75, you say ? Good troubleshooting !
It'll stay saturated trying to raise feedback pin to 1.23 volts. So no stepdown and no heat. I like your powers of observation.

TG_MechE said:
Using a slightly modified version of the example circuit where:
R2 = 23.82 KOhm
L1 = 100 mH
What's R1 ? 1K as in drawing ?
Could it be as simple as:
1.23 = Vout X R1 / (R1+R2) = Vout / 24.82
to get 1.23 volts from a voltage divider of 1K and 23.8K will require 30.5 volts at output ?

Try adjusting ratio of R2/R1 to around (10/1.23) -1 ?

Last edited:
Likes TG_MechE
TG_MechE. Have you tied pin 5, (off\on) to ground, or left it floating?

Jim, you are 100% correct!
I had put the incorrect voltage divider in!
Thank you so much for your help (and to everyone else who commented.)

R1 was 1K, I changed R2 to 10k to achieve roughly 13vdc (my end goal) and everything is working perfectly now.

I have included a picture for those who were interested.
2ebczz5.jpg

jim hardy said:
You made a great first step right here:

My high school electronics teacher lectured us boys "When all else fails , read the directions."
From that datasheet:
View attachment 114650

Feedback pin 4 wants 1.23 volts and is getting but 0.75, you say ? Good troubleshooting !
It'll stay saturated trying to raise feedback pin to 1.23 volts. So no stepdown and no heat. I like your powers of observation.What's R1 ? 1K as in drawing ?
Could it be as simple as:
1.23 = Vout X R1 / (R1+R2) = Vout / 24.82
to get 1.23 volts from a voltage divider of 1K and 23.8K will require 30.5 volts at output ?

Try adjusting ratio of R2/R1 to around (10/1.23) -1 ?

Rive said:
Well... For first run I would try to start it with resistive load and a regulated lab PSU for input. I think it'll be the inadequate amount of input filtering and low output load.
Also, you defined L1 as 100mH, but is the component OK for the current?By the way, are you sure it's a good idea to drive LEDs from medium grade fixed voltage source?

Ahh good point! The inductor claims to be good up to 1amp. I plan to draw roughly 0.7-0.5 amps at 13volts in the final application. As for the LED, it is purely for testing as it was available and capable of handling the power.

Baluncore said:
TG_MechE. Have you tied pin 5, (off\on) to ground, or left it floating?

Pin 5 is straight to ground for instant-on. As this is going to be used to drive and amplifier IC, a time delay on may be better?

Likes jim hardy
Thanks for the feedback, and congratulations on your success .

I really like that regulator IC, copied the datasheet to my "HandyThings to Know " folder.
Will get a few on next parts order.Thanks for the introduction to it !

Likes TG_MechE
jim hardy said:
Thanks for the feedback, and congratulations on your success .

I really like that regulator IC, copied the datasheet to my "HandyThings to Know " folder.

Good luck! There is another version of this IC with 2 more pins which provides error reporting as well. Now onto the arduous process of eliminating 120hz hum.

jim hardy said:
Assembled adjustable DC-DC buck converter modules, (using LM2596), cost less than $2 each on ebay.

Likes jim hardy
Baluncore said:
Assembled adjustable DC-DC buck converter modules, (using LM2596), cost less than $2 each on ebay.

Amazing times we live in. Thanks, Balun !

1. What is a Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU?

A Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU (power supply unit) is an electrical circuit that converts a higher DC input voltage to a lower DC output voltage. It uses a switching regulator to efficiently regulate the output voltage, making it a popular choice for power supplies in electronic devices.

2. What are some common issues when troubleshooting Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU designs?

Some common issues that may arise when troubleshooting Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU designs include output voltage instability, excessive ripple or noise, and overheating. These issues can be caused by factors such as incorrect component selection, inadequate cooling, or faulty circuit design.

3. How can I test the functionality of a Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU?

To test the functionality of a Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU, you can use a multimeter to measure the output voltage and check for any fluctuations or abnormalities. You can also use an oscilloscope to measure the ripple and noise levels of the output voltage. Additionally, checking the temperature of the components can help identify any potential overheating issues.

4. What are some tips for troubleshooting Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU designs?

Some tips for troubleshooting Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU designs include checking for loose or damaged connections, inspecting the components for any signs of damage, and verifying that the components are within their specified tolerances. It is also helpful to refer to the datasheet of the components used in the design and to consult with other experienced engineers for advice.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of a Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU?

To improve the efficiency of a Switch Mode DC-DC step-down PSU, you can use higher quality components, reduce the switching frequency, and optimize the layout of the components to minimize parasitic effects. Additionally, implementing a feedback control loop and using synchronous rectification can also help improve the efficiency of the PSU.