Switching polarizer and analyzer: the order matters -- why?

• I
  • Thread starter PathEnthusiast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarizer
In summary: This is why you see a destruction of image when you try to watch a movie with a circular polariser in front of a mirror - because the circular polariser is transferring half the power of the original light to the mirror, cancelling out the image.In summary, the polarizer and analyzer on a microscope block light depending on how they are oriented. If the "top" of the analyzer is facing the polarizer, then light from the polarizer is blocked. If the "top" of the analyzer is facing the fluorescent light, then light from the fluorescent is blocked. If the "top" of the analyzer is facing the mirror, then light from the mirror is blocked. If the
PathEnthusiast
TL;DR Summary
I was playing around with the polarizer and analyzer on my microscope and discovered that the analyzer could block light from the polarizer--but not vice versa. I'm perplexed.
Hey all! I'm a pathologist and just got a polarizer/analyzer pair for my microscope. I decided to play around with them a little before I put them into the microscope to demonstrate the way they block light, and initially I found that no light was blocked no matter how I rotated them relative to each other. This was quite perplexing, and eventually, as I fiddled with them, I changed the order light was passing through and lo and behold light was blocked as expected when they were perpendicularly oriented. After some further experimentation, I have observed the following:

1) Light from an overhead fluorescent in my office is blocked when it passes through the polarizer and then the analyzer (when they're oriented perpendicularly).
2) Light from the overhead fluorescent is NOT blocked when light passes through the analyzer and then the polarizer (regardless of how they're oriented).
3) Light from my computer monitor is blocked by the polarizer alone (when appropriately rotated).
4) Light from my computer monitor is blocked by the analyzer alone (when appropriately rotated).

Based on these observations, I've concluded that the analyzer and polarizer are doing *something* different to light, but I'm perplexed as to what exactly.

My suspicion is that, when exposed to randomly polarized light, the polarizer blocks all directions of polarization but one, thus producing linearly polarized light. The polarizer will thus block all light polarized perpendicular to this direction.

On the other hand, I suspect that the analyzer is birefringent and is somehow producing circularly or elliptically polarized light. Such light would not be blocked by a linear polarizer. However, I'm at a loss to explain how a birefringent material is able to entirely block all light polarized in a particular direction. This seems like I've forgotten a really basic aspect of how circular polarizers work, but quick attempts at refreshing my memory reveal only that circular polarizers can cause destructive interference with light reflected off a surface that has the opposite direction of circular polarization. And I don't see how that helps explain the phenomena I'm observing.

It's been over 12 years since my last physics class, so I'm quite rusty and this is as far as I've been able to get on my own. Please help!

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably a birefringent film on one side of the polarizer. Play around with the combinations of order in the stack and flipping each polarizer. Any combination that has two crossed polarizers with nothing in between will block light. But if the polarization is changed in between them, they won't.
This is how circular polarizers are made.

Likes vanhees71
DaveE said:
Probably a birefringent film on one side of the polarizer. Play around with the combinations of order in the stack and flipping each polarizer. Any combination that has two crossed polarizers with nothing in between will block light. But if the polarization is changed in between them, they won't.
This is how circular polarizers are made.

YES!!!

It hadn't occurred to me that they would coat just one side with birefringent material. I now have some additional observations:

1) Light from the computer monitor is not blocked by the analyzer when the "top" of the analyzer faces the computer screen.
2) Light from the overhead fluorescent is not blocked when light passes through the polarizer and then the analyzer, if the "top" of the analyzer faces the polarizer.
3) Light from the overhead fluorescent IS blocked when light passes through the analyzer when the "top" faces the fluorescent light and then passes through the polarizer.

So my explanation of the phenomenon would be:

The birefringent film on the analyzer converts linearly polarized light into "rotating" polarized light that cannot be entirely blocked by a linear polarizer. However, if linearly polarized light passes through the polarizing material of the analyzer *before* reaching the birefringent film, essentially all light has been eliminated so rotating the polarization doesn't make a difference. Similarly, if light passes through the film first, then the polarizing material of the analyzer, the polarizing material converts it to linearly polarized light which can then be blocked by the second polarizer.

Sometimes you can peel the film off if you want.

PathEnthusiast said:
TL;DR Summary: I was playing around with the polarizer and analyzer on my microscope and discovered that the analyzer could block light from the polarizer--but not vice versa. I'm perplexed.

My suspicion is that, when exposed to randomly polarized light, the polarizer blocks all directions of polarization but one, thus producing linearly polarized light.
This is not an accurate description of the process. what your description implies is that you would only get a tiny fraction of the incoming light through. In fact the polariser takes the component of all of the randomly polarised parts of the light, resulting in half the energy getting through.

When linearly polarised light hits a circular polariser, the light becomes circularly polarised (obvs) and half its power gets through a linear analyser with any orientation. When circularly polarised light passes through a linear polariser, only one particular component of the resulting linearly polarised light is selected for one orientation of the analyser. It's blocked when the polarisations are crossed. There's a logic to it.
PathEnthusiast said:
It hadn't occurred to me that they would coat just one side with birefringent material.
A circular polariser has, by design , a thickness such that the path difference through the birefringent material is one quarter wave different for the two linear polarisations. That means it is a thin layer and has to be mounted on one side of the supporting linear polariser. The direction of rotation depends on the orientation of the linear polariser. There's a diagram in this link of what I mean.

1. Why is the order of switching polarizer and analyzer important?

The order of switching polarizer and analyzer is important because it determines the orientation of the polarized light passing through them. If the order is reversed, the polarized light will be blocked instead of passing through, resulting in incorrect measurements or observations.

2. How does switching the polarizer and analyzer affect the polarization of light?

Switching the polarizer and analyzer changes the orientation of the polarized light passing through them. This can result in either complete or partial blocking of the light, depending on the angle between the polarizer and analyzer. Additionally, switching the order can also affect the intensity and color of the polarized light.

3. Can switching the polarizer and analyzer affect the accuracy of experimental results?

Yes, switching the polarizer and analyzer in the wrong order can significantly affect the accuracy of experimental results. This is especially important in experiments that involve measuring the polarization of light, such as in optics or materials science. It is crucial to follow the correct order to obtain reliable and accurate results.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of switching polarizer and analyzer in the correct order?

Yes, there are some exceptions where switching the polarizer and analyzer does not affect the outcome. For example, if both the polarizer and analyzer are aligned at 45 degrees, switching the order will not make a difference. However, it is always best to follow the correct order to ensure accuracy and consistency in experimental results.

5. How can I determine the correct order for switching polarizer and analyzer?

The correct order for switching polarizer and analyzer can be determined by conducting a simple test. Start with the polarizer and analyzer aligned at 0 degrees and observe the intensity of the polarized light passing through. Then, switch the order and observe again. If the intensity decreases or the light is completely blocked, then the original order was correct. If the intensity increases, then the order needs to be switched. Repeat this test at different angles to confirm the correct order.