Switching to Math -- "If you are the 50th best student in the class"....

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of natural thought processes when solving math problems. The speaker shares their experience of not thinking in equations and numbers, even after practicing many problems. They also mention the importance of doing more practice problems to improve. The given solution uses the concept of being in the middle of the class to solve a problem, while the speaker's approach is different. They suggest finding more challenging problems to improve mathematical thinking.
crastinus
I have discovered that, even when doing math problems, I don't actually think in math.

I was just practicing for fun on Alcumus. The question was this: "If you are the 50th best student in the class and also the 50th worst student in the class, how many students are in the class?"

The answer is easy and obvious, but here's the thing: I looked at their solution, and it went in a direction that I just do not naturally go. The solution says: "You are better than 49 other people. You are worse then 49 other people. The number of people in the class must then be: 49 + 49 + 1 = 99."

A simple example, yes, but now that I think about it I just don't instinctively think in equations and numbers like that. I find that even doing tons of problems doesn't help as much as one would think, although it is good and necessary.

What are some ways to switching one's natural thought process to one that is more "math"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The more practice problems you do, it should come easier. That is my suggestion. So what was your approach? How was it different from the given solution?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
crastinus said:
"If you are the 50th best student in the class and also the 50th worst student in the class, how many students are in the class?"
This should suggest that you are right in the middle of the class, which leads you to the solution you posted.

There will be problems of sufficient complexity that you can't solve in a flash of instinct. Then you have to do maths.

The answer is then: find harder problems that force you to "do the math".

1. How can I become the 50th best student in my math class?

To become the 50th best student in your math class, it is important to consistently study and practice the concepts taught in class. Make sure to attend all lectures and ask your teacher for help if you are struggling with any topics. Also, try to complete all assignments and participate in class discussions. With hard work and dedication, you can improve your math skills and become the 50th best student in your class.

2. Is being the 50th best student in the class good enough?

Being the 50th best student in your math class is a great achievement, as it shows that you have a strong understanding of the material and are performing well compared to your peers. However, it is important to continue to strive for improvement and not become complacent with your ranking.

3. How does being the 50th best student in the class affect my future?

Being the 50th best student in your math class can have a positive impact on your future. It shows that you have a strong foundation in math, which can be beneficial for pursuing careers in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. It can also improve your chances of getting into a good college or university.

4. Are there any tips for maintaining my ranking as the 50th best student in the class?

To maintain your ranking as the 50th best student in your math class, it is important to continue to work hard and stay focused. Take notes during lectures, review class material regularly, and seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed. It can also be helpful to form study groups and practice solving math problems together.

5. How can I improve my ranking from the 50th to the top 10 in the class?

If you want to improve your ranking from the 50th to the top 10 in your math class, it will require even more dedication and hard work. Make sure to fully understand the concepts taught in class and seek additional resources or help if needed. Practice solving challenging math problems and consistently strive for improvement. Do not be afraid to ask your teacher for extra credit opportunities or seek out additional study materials. Remember to stay motivated and never give up on your goal.