Symbol for Finite: Exploring the Use and Interpretation of ##<\infty##

In summary: Regardless, it is not a symbol of logic or mathematics.In summary, there is a symbol for representing infinity, usually written as ##<\infty## or ##=C<\infty##. However, there is no symbol or word for representing the opposite of infinity. The term "finity" does exist, but it is not commonly used in mathematics. Additionally, there is a discussion on whether infinity is undefined in the context of real numbers and the use of the set ##\overline{\mathbb{R}}## to represent extended real numbers. Finally, there is a mention of the philosophical concept of finity and its relationship to infinity.
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Is there a symbol for finite?
I know there's a symbol for infinite. But is there a finite one?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is usually written ##<\infty## or if it was done better ##=C<\infty##.

How about just specifying that the number in question is an element of the reals? There are no infinite reals.

Likes Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
Dumb question. What is C in this case?

Nugatory said:
How about just specifying that the number in question is an element of the reals? There are no infinite reals.
Is infinity undefined in reals ?

Finite and infinite are both adjectives. Although there is a noun form for infinity, I'm not aware of the existence of "finity" as a word in English. If so, we have a symbol for and a word for infinity, ##\infty##, we have neither a word or symbol for its opposite.

Mark44 said:
Finite and infinite are both adjectives. Although there is a noun form for infinity, I'm not aware of the existence of "finity" as a word in English. If so, we have a symbol for and a word for infinity, ##\infty##, we have neither a word or symbol for its opposite.
I prefer to think of them as mathematical constructs. English isn't necessary, which is good if you don't speak it.

7777777 said:
Is infinity undefined in reals ?
Yes. In some cases the set ##\overline{\mathbb{R}}=\mathbb{R}\cup \{\pm \infty \}## is used. It is referred to as extended real numbers.

logically
finite = not infinite ##\Rightarrow \neg\infty## or ##!\infty## or ##\infty’## or ##\overline{\infty}##
o0)

This page references the OED and says that finity is a word.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/finity

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I'm sure mathematicians prefer <∞ over those code style notations.
Given the mathematical disdain for logic symbols, may we postulate a dearth of Vulcan mathematicians? :-p

fresh_42 said:
A slightly better reference:
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=finity

I liked the quotes in mine
    • 1874, Hawthorne, Julian, chapter 31, in Idolatry: A Romance:
      He was calm in the conviction that he could measure and calculate the universe […] He matched finity against the Infinite.
    • 1899, London, Jack, The White Silence:
      Nature has many tricks wherewith she convinces man of his finity.
    • 1987, Fraser, Julius Thomas, Time, the Familiar Stranger, →ISBN, page 37:
      In a very non-Aristotelian fashion, Nicholas of Cusa produced a synthesis of finity and infinity.
    • 2006, Witzsche, Rolf A. F., Universal Divine Science: Spiritual Pedagogicals, →ISBN, page 106:
      We […] labor to find our identity in the infinite in spite of our encumberment in finity.
    • 1734, Watts, Isaac, “A Brief Scheme of Ontology”, in Philosophical Essays on Various Subjects, 6th edition, London: T. Longman, T. Fields and C. Dilly, published 1794, page 370:
      Disagreement in substance or essence […] may be called Disproportion, as there is a disproportion between finities and infinities, i.e. there is no proportion between them.
    • 1837 September 2, “The Transcendalist's Dialogues: No. IX”, in The Shepherd, volume 3, number 10, page 79:
      If we imagined a person capable of comprehending infinity, we should merely think that he was able infinitely to add up finities.
    • 1884 January 1, “Prayer and Science”, in Methodist Quarterly Review (4th)‎[1], volume 66, page 8:
      And this condescension of infinite Perfection to the finities—to their imperfections, contingencies, and littlenesses—is the very result of its perfection.

Last edited:
Likes Nugatory
fresh_42 said:
I think one has to be careful using that symbol. I have seen it mean convergence.

1. What is the symbol for finite?

The symbol for finite is a small vertical line with a horizontal line crossing through it, similar to the mathematical symbol for infinity (∞) but with the lines crossed.

2. How is the symbol for finite used in mathematics?

The symbol for finite is used to represent a quantity or value that has a definite limit or is bounded. It is often used in set theory, calculus, and other branches of mathematics.

3. Can the symbol for finite be used in other fields besides mathematics?

While it is primarily used in mathematics, the symbol for finite can also be used in other fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics to represent a finite or limited quantity or value.

4. Is there a difference between the symbol for finite and the symbol for infinity?

Yes, there is a difference between the two symbols. The symbol for finite represents a bounded or limited quantity, while the symbol for infinity represents an unbounded or limitless quantity.

5. Are there any alternate symbols for finite?

Yes, there are a few alternate symbols for finite, such as the letter "F" with a line through it or the letter "N" with a line through it. However, the small vertical line with a horizontal line crossing through it is the most commonly used symbol for finite.