Symbols used to represent surface area Ratio in Refrigeration

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a symbol to represent the surface area ratio of a low temperature heat exchanger compared to the total surface area of both low and high temperature heat exchangers. The group suggests using any applicable symbol and suggests reading existing publications on refrigeration to see what symbols are commonly used. It is noted that there is not a standard symbol for this ratio and any symbol can be used as long as it is defined.
recreated
Dear all,

Does anyone know common symbols used to represent the ratio of two surface areas? The ratio is the surface area of low temp. heat exchanger divided by the total surface area of low and high temp. heat exchanger:
AL/AT = area ratio, i want to find or create a symbol for.

I would like to use any applicable symbol, but i am not confident, it may clash with other symbols in refrigeration.

I can use a symbol with a subscript but I'm finding it hard to think of a good one, any suggestions?
(There are soo many symbols I'm dealing with it's easy to clash)

kind regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use any symbol you like as long as you define it. Have you tried reading existing publications on refrigeration? You could read a few to see what's used. If you can't find one where it's mentioned then you don't need to worry about a clash.
I'd bet there's not a standard symbol for it. Don't worry.

Likes 1 person
Thank you. I did read a few papers and have noticed they use different symbols for the same thing, so you are right in saying "You can use any symbol you like as long as you define it".

1. What is surface area ratio in refrigeration?

Surface area ratio in refrigeration is a measure of the relationship between the total surface area of a refrigerant and the volume it occupies. It is used to determine the efficiency and performance of a refrigeration system.

2. How is surface area ratio calculated?

Surface area ratio is calculated by dividing the total surface area of the refrigerant by its volume. This can be done by using the formula: Surface Area Ratio = Total Surface Area / Volume.

3. What symbols are commonly used to represent surface area ratio in refrigeration?

The most common symbols used to represent surface area ratio in refrigeration are SAR or SARf. SAR stands for Surface Area Ratio and SARf stands for Surface Area Ratio of the refrigerant.

4. Why is surface area ratio important in refrigeration?

Surface area ratio is important in refrigeration because it directly affects the efficiency and performance of the system. A higher surface area ratio means that the refrigerant has more contact with the surrounding environment, which can lead to faster heat transfer and better cooling.

5. How does surface area ratio impact the design of refrigeration systems?

The surface area ratio is a key factor in the design of refrigeration systems as it helps determine the size and type of components needed for optimal performance. It also plays a role in selecting the type of refrigerant and the overall efficiency of the system.