Symmetry breaking/ degrees of freedom

In summary, diagonalization of a symmetric tensor in O(n) space does not consume any of the Goldstone bosons, but the number of remaining degrees of freedom may change depending on the specifics of the symmetry breaking.
Neitrino
Dear PF...

Please help me with basic question more I think more I get confused...

In O(n) space there are n(n-1)/2 generators...
suppose I have symmetric tensor in O(n) space, it will have n(n+1)/2 independent components... and i am building invariant potential from it (quartic polynomial expression), then I will find which components minimize my potential and will have symmetry breaking.

Broken generators will transform into Goldstone boson.
So initially i have n(n-1)/2 goldstonic degrees of freedom.

But before i minimize my potential i want to diagonalize my tensor...
Does diagonalization consume goldstonic degrees of freedom/consumes generators?

After diagonalisation shall i have again n(n-1)/2 goldstonic degrees of freedom in my bydget or less ?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance.The diagonalization of a symmetric tensor with n(n+1)/2 independent components will not consume any of the n(n-1)/2 generators. After the diagonalization process, you will still have n(n-1)/2 Goldstone bosons, as this is the number of broken generators that are associated with the symmetry breaking of the quartic polynomial expression. However, it is important to note that some of the Goldstone bosons may become absorbed by other particles and cease to exist, depending on the type of symmetry breaking and the structure of the quartic expression.

1. What is symmetry breaking?

Symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where the symmetries of a system are not preserved in its ground state or lowest energy state. This means that the system exhibits different properties or behaviors at different points in space or time, breaking the symmetry that was present in the initial state.

2. What are degrees of freedom in a system?

Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent parameters that are needed to describe the state of a physical system. In other words, it is the number of variables that can change without affecting the overall behavior of the system.

3. How does symmetry breaking affect the degrees of freedom in a system?

Symmetry breaking often reduces the number of degrees of freedom in a system. This is because the broken symmetry restricts the possible states that the system can occupy, leading to a decrease in the number of independent parameters needed to describe it.

4. Can symmetry breaking occur spontaneously?

Yes, symmetry breaking can occur spontaneously in certain physical systems. This means that the system does not need external influences or forces to break its symmetry, but rather the symmetry is broken due to the inherent properties of the system itself.

5. What are some examples of symmetry breaking in nature?

Some examples of symmetry breaking in nature include the breaking of rotational symmetry in magnetic materials, the breaking of translational symmetry in crystals, and the breaking of gauge symmetry in the electroweak interaction between particles.