Symmetry factors of some diagrams

In summary, the conversation revolved around diagrams that arise in ##\phi^4## theory with ##V=3, ## and ## J=0,...4## in turn. The participants discussed the symmetry factors for each diagram and whether any graphs were missing. The interaction Lagrangian and overall factors were calculated, and it was agreed that the counting was correct. The method of starting with drawing the elements of the diagram and then counting the connections was suggested. The speaker also asked for verification of their symmetry factors for the rest of the diagrams.
CAF123
Gold Member
I have drawn five connected diagrams that arise in ##\phi^4## theory. I was wondering if the symmetry factors I have for each of them are correct and if I have missed any graphs. I only want to consider the case of ##V=3, ## with ## J=0,...4## in turn. (V: number of vertices which i denoted by a cross and J: number of source points denoted by a bold circle)

If I have this case understood I am comfortable i could do other cases.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Symmfactors.png
    Symmfactors.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 632
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea about the symmetry factors, but I think there are diagrams missing. A "cross" where two legs have an additional loop attached (instead of both at one), then something similar to the lower right diagram, but just with one loop in the center and an additional loop at one leg.
Similar modifications are possible for the left diagram.

Hi Mfb
mfb said:
No idea about the symmetry factors,...
Should I write out my explanation for them and see if you agree?

...but I think there are diagrams missing. A "cross" where two legs have an additional loop attached (instead of both at one), then something similar to the lower right diagram, but just with one loop in the center and an additional loop at one leg.
Similar modifications are possible for the left diagram.
I'm having a little difficulty trying to picture what you mean - Is it possible for you to draw what you mean for the latter description?
For
A "cross" where two legs have an additional loop attached (instead of both at one)
do you mean three different crosses each with a loop attached to it (as shown in another attachment in the red box)

Attachments

• Symmfactors.png
    Symmfactors.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 815
I've also no clue what you mean with your symmetry factors. Please give the interaction Lagrangian (i.e., which convention you are using) and then write down the overall factor. Using
$$\mathcal{L}_I=-\frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4$$
for the upper left diagram I get a factor
$$\frac{\lambda^3}{(4!)^3}\cdot \frac{1}{3!}\cdot 12 \cdot 3 \cdot 8 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 3=\frac{\lambda^3}{8}.$$

Do we have constraints apart from the 3 vertices with 4 lines, and the number of external legs?

I don't think that list is complete (in addition to those already posted). One is there twice, ignore one copy.

diagrams.png

Hi vanhees71,
vanhees71 said:
I've also no clue what you mean with your symmetry factors. Please give the interaction Lagrangian (i.e., which convention you are using) and then write down the overall factor. Using
$$\mathcal{L}_I=-\frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4$$
for the upper left diagram I get a factor
$$\frac{\lambda^3}{(4!)^3}\cdot \frac{1}{3!}\cdot 12 \cdot 3 \cdot 8 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 3=\frac{\lambda^3}{8}.$$
Yes, that is my interaction lagrangian. I think I am getting 1/16 for my factor whereas you're getting 1/8. Just to check, I'm not talking about correlation functions at this point so the bold circles are also allowed to be permuted which might be why answer is off from yours by a factor of 1/2. (maybe)

My reasoning is basically for each loop there (apart from the top one), I can swap permute the prongs at each vertex 2! ways and also swap the propagators. For the top loop, I can swap the prongs and then reverse the propagator direction. This gives an overcounting of 2^3 so far. Then for the permutation of the source points together with reversal of the propagators gives another contribution of 2.

Thanks!

mfb said:
Do we have constraints apart from the 3 vertices with 4 lines, and the number of external legs?
I'm just considering the V=3 case at the moment and take J=0...4 in turn.

I don't think that list is complete (in addition to those already posted). One is there twice, ignore one copy.

View attachment 95422
Ok, I see thanks. My convention for the normalisation of the interaction piece is ##-\lambda \phi^4/4!## so maybe this makes it easier to compare to my symmetry factors.

Thanks!

CAF123 said:
Hi vanhees71,

Yes, that is my interaction lagrangian. I think I am getting 1/16 for my factor whereas you're getting 1/8. Just to check, I'm not talking about correlation functions at this point so the bold circles are also allowed to be permuted which might be why answer is off from yours by a factor of 1/2. (maybe)
I see. Before taking the derivatives wrt. the external currents the two-point functions have an additional factor 1/2. So we agree in our counting.

My reasoning is basically for each loop there (apart from the top one), I can swap permute the prongs at each vertex 2! ways and also swap the propagators. For the top loop, I can swap the prongs and then reverse the propagator direction. This gives an overcounting of 2^3 so far. Then for the permutation of the source points together with reversal of the propagators gives another contribution of 2.

Thanks!
I usually start by drawing the elements of the diagram, i.e., vertices and external points, and then I count, how to connect these elements with the corresponding propagator lines. This is kind of a graphical application of Wick's theorem.

vanhees71 said:
I see. Before taking the derivatives wrt. the external currents the two-point functions have an additional factor 1/2. So we agree in our counting.

I usually start by drawing the elements of the diagram, i.e., vertices and external points, and then I count, how to connect these elements with the corresponding propagator lines. This is kind of a graphical application of Wick's theorem.
Ok thanks, good to know we agree. I know sometimes counting these symmetry factors can be a bit of a pain but for some they can see it simply by looking at the diagram. Would it be too much to ask if you could verify if the rest of my symmetry factors I have drawn in my attachment are correct for the rest of the diagrams I am getting for V=3?

Attachments

• Symmfactors.png
    Symmfactors.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 675

Related to Symmetry factors of some diagrams

1. What are symmetry factors in diagrams?

Symmetry factors in diagrams refer to the number of ways a particular diagram can be transformed or rotated without changing its physical properties or results. They are essential in calculating the probability of certain interactions in particle physics.

2. How are symmetry factors calculated?

Symmetry factors are calculated using mathematical tools such as group theory and combinatorics. The process involves identifying and counting the number of symmetrical transformations that can be applied to a diagram without altering its properties.

3. Why are symmetry factors important?

Symmetry factors play a crucial role in predicting the outcomes of particle collisions in experiments. They provide a way to simplify complex diagrams and make accurate calculations, allowing scientists to better understand the fundamental forces of nature.

4. How do symmetry factors affect the final result of a calculation?

The symmetry factor of a diagram directly affects its contribution to the overall calculation. A higher symmetry factor means that the diagram is more likely to occur, increasing its weight in the final result. Conversely, a lower symmetry factor will decrease the diagram's contribution to the final result.

5. Can symmetry factors be used in fields other than particle physics?

Yes, symmetry factors have applications in various fields, including chemistry, biology, and even computer science. They are used to describe and analyze symmetrical structures and processes, providing valuable insights and predictions in different scientific fields.