Symmetry Groups of the Standard Model: SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1)

In summary: Yes, knowing the symmetries of your problem allows you to write down the lagrangian terms (the allowed ones are those who are invariant under the symmetry transformations- and Yukawa term is such) pretty much without error, right.
Qubix
I have a question regarding symmetry groups. I've often heard that the Standard Model is a SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) theory. From what I understand these groups contain the symmetries under which the Lagrangian function is invariant. If so, what does every one of the 3 groups above contain (what symmetry do they correspond to) and does specifying the symmetry groups give a complete description of the Lagrangian ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Qubix said:
I have a question regarding symmetry groups. I've often heard that the Standard Model is a SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) theory. From what I understand these groups contain the symmetries under which the Lagrangian function is invariant.
That's not an exhaustive list of the symmetries. It includes the local gauge symmetries which are the more important symmetries because they govern the dynamics of the theory.
If so, what does every one of the 3 groups above contain (what symmetry do they correspond to)
These symmetries generate the conserved dynamic charges (through Noether theorem) of the theory which are the color charge [SU(3)], the isospin charge [SU(2)], and the hypercharge [U(1)]. The isospin and hypercharge are spontaneously broken but one U(1) sub-symmetry remains unbroken and generates the electric charge conservation.
and does specifying the symmetry groups give a complete description of the Lagrangian?

It goes a long way, but it is not complete. You still have to specify the field content beyond the gauge fields, what representation of the gauge symmetry do they belong to, and what other non-gauge interactions (such as a Yukawa interaction) are present. Most of the standard model parameters go into completely describing the Yukawa interaction.

Isn't the Yukawa term just one more possible term due to the SM gauge symmetry group?

As dauto points out this is just the gauge symmetry group, and there are other symmetries (for example everything in the SM are also representations of the Poincaré group). There are various matter fields with handedness.

SU(3) is the strong interaction - dimSU(3) = 8 gauge bosons

SU(2)xU(1) is, in a manner of speaking, the electroweak interaction: dim = 3+1 gauge bosons. This breaks to the weak and electromagnetic interactions where 3 representations gain mass (w gauge bosons) and one (photon) remains massless due to the Higgs. Excuse my abuse of terminology.

in complete (I think), SU(2)xU(1) contains 4 gauge bosons (massless). This is spontaneously broken via the Higgs Mechanism, under which the 3 out of the 4 gauge bosons gain mass (Ws and Z), into one U(1) symmetry as a remain, which gives you the massless boson (photon).

But I guess knowing the symmetries of your problem allows you to write down the lagrangian terms (the allowed ones are those who are invariant under the symmetry transformations- and Yukawa term is such)

Related to Symmetry Groups of the Standard Model: SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1)

1. What is the Standard Model and why is it important?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework in particle physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It is important because it successfully explains and predicts many experimental results, and is considered the most accurate description of the subatomic world.

2. What are the symmetries of the Standard Model?

The symmetries of the Standard Model refer to the mathematical groups that govern the interactions between particles. The most commonly used symmetry groups are SU(3) for strong interactions, SU(2) for weak interactions, and U(1) for electromagnetic interactions. Together, they form the symmetry group SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1).

3. What does SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) represent in the Standard Model?

SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) is the symmetry group of the Standard Model that describes the interactions between quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons. It is a mathematical representation of the different types of forces and particles in the universe.

4. How does the symmetry group SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) affect particle interactions?

The symmetry group SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1) allows for the exchange of particles, known as gauge bosons, between particles with different charges. This exchange results in the fundamental forces of the universe, such as the strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, and electromagnetic force.

5. Are there any limitations to the Standard Model's symmetry groups?

While the Standard Model is incredibly successful in predicting and explaining particle interactions, it does have limitations. For example, it does not account for gravity and dark matter, and it cannot be used to explain the origins of the universe. This has led scientists to search for a more comprehensive theory, such as a Grand Unified Theory, which would encompass all four fundamental forces and unify the known particles.