Symmetry of Liénard-Wiechert Potentials

In summary: However, when I reevaluate the electric field using retarded potentials, I find that the field does not seem to be symmetric.In summary, the electric field of a charge does not seem to be symmetric across a plane that is pi/2 radians from the velocity vector of the charge.
particlezoo
According to responses at:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/93390/field-of-moving-charge-lorentzlienard-wiechert

The Lorentz contraction of the electric field of a charge with uniform velocity is supposed to be symmetric across the plane pi/2 radians from the velocity vector of the charge. Now if that is true, then I should expect that the electric field of the charge should have the same magnitude on both sides, in the sense of a mirror. In other words, if I were to reverse the component of the relative position vector r-rS that is co-linear with the uniform velocity of charge q, then the co-linear component of the electric field derived from the Liénard–Wiechert potentials should likewise reverse, due to the obvious symmetry. However, upon examining the equation for the electric field according to the Liénard–Wiechert potentials:

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/1956a7a54e74bcfee533510e33d219646a81e75f

...this appears to not be the case. n in this example is a unit vector based on r-rS. In the simple case that the velocity is constant, the second term in the parentheses drops out. Let's make things simple by setting beta = 0.5 times the unit velocity vector. Then in the case that the unit radial vector is aligned with the unit velocity vector, then the contents contained within the parenthesis of the numerator of the first term has the magnitude (1-0.5) or 0.5, while the parentheses in the denominator would have the value (1-1*0.5) which has to be cubed. The magnitude of the ratio of former and the cube of the latter is (1-0.5)/(1-1*0.5)^3 = 1/(1-0.5)^2 = 1/0.5^2 = 4. What happens then if I reverse the direction of n? In that case, the result is (-1-0.5)/(1-(-1)*0.5)^3 = (-1.5)/(1.5)^3 = -1/(1.5)^2 = -4/9.

How can this result be reconciled with the claim that the electric field is symmetric across pi/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lorentz contraction of the electric field of a charge with uniform velocity is supposed to be symmetric across the plane pi/2 radians from the velocity vector of the charge.

I get the impression that the symmetric equation (not involving vectors) was derived without using retarded potentials. Naively and intuitively I would expect a difference in field between a charge moving towards me and one moving away, as predicted by the L-W equations.

1. What is the concept of symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials?

The symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials refers to the properties of the electric and magnetic fields as they are transformed under certain operations. In this case, the symmetry is related to the invariance of the electric and magnetic fields under Lorentz transformations, which are transformations that preserve the laws of physics in special relativity.

2. How is symmetry related to the equations for Liénard-Wiechert Potentials?

The equations for Liénard-Wiechert Potentials are derived from Maxwell's equations, which are themselves invariant under Lorentz transformations. This means that the equations for the potentials must also be invariant, and therefore exhibit symmetry, under these transformations.

3. What is the physical significance of symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials?

The symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different reference frames. By understanding how the fields transform under different conditions, we can better understand the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and make more accurate calculations and predictions.

4. Are there any known exceptions to the symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials?

While the equations for Liénard-Wiechert Potentials are generally considered to be symmetric under Lorentz transformations, there are some scenarios where this symmetry does not hold. For example, in the presence of strong gravitational fields or at very high energies, the equations may need to be modified to account for these extreme conditions.

5. How is symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials related to the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial reference frames. Symmetry in Liénard-Wiechert Potentials is a manifestation of this principle, as it shows that the equations for the potentials are consistent and hold true in different reference frames, as long as those frames are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.