Synchronous Frames/Coordinate Charts

In summary: Ah, I see where the disconnect is. In the previous thread referred to, there was an additional (if possibly implicit) requirement on the coordinate chart, that its surfaces of constant time be everywhere orthogonal to the congruence. Your chart does not have that property, but you're correct that it does have the other properties we described, at least on some open region within the exterior. (I think the "time extension" of that region goes to zero as the horizon is approached, but of course one can always restrict the region to a minimum value of ##r## that is a finite distance away from the horizon.)In the previous thread referred to, there was an additional (if possibly implicit) requirement on the coordinate chart, that
[Moderator's note: Spun off from previous thread due to topic shift.]

Orodruin said:
it is possible to construct a frame where the time coordinate corresponds to the proper time of a set of timelike curves
I believe this is only possible if the set of timelike curves forms a congruence that is both geodesic and hypersurface orthogonal. (The congruence of worldlines at rest in a global inertial frame in Minkowski spacetime of course satisfies both these requirements.) We had a recent thread on this; I'll see if I can find it.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
I believe this is only possible if the set of timelike curves forms a congruence that is both geodesic and hypersurface orthogonal. (The congruence of worldlines at rest in a global inertial frame in Minkowski spacetime of course satisfies both these requirements.) We had a recent thread on this; I'll see if I can find it.
I believe that this depends on what conditions you put on calling something a ”frame”. If you just mean ”coordinate system” I don’t think that is the conclusion, but I believe I remember the thread to which you are referring.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
I believe that this depends on what conditions you put on calling something a ”frame”. If you just mean ”coordinate system” I don’t think that is the conclusion, but I believe I remember the thread to which you are referring.
Those are the conditions for a synchronous coordinate patch, which has the feature that along lines of constant spatial coordinates, coordinate time difference equals proper time difference. But I agree that there are other coordinates possible that have this property, e.g. without hypersurface orthogonality, so that components like ##g_{01}## will not be zero.

Orodruin said:
If you just mean ”coordinate system” I don’t think that is the conclusion
Yes, it is, because it is only possible at all to find any coordinate system that meets the requirement that coordinate time is the same as proper time along any worldline in some congruence of timelike worldlines, if the congruence has the properties I stated.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Yes, it is, because it is only possible at all to find any coordinate system that meets the requirement that coordinate time is the same as proper time along any worldline in some congruence of timelike worldlines, if the congruence has the properties I stated.
Take Schwarzschild spacetime with regular spatial coordinates and take t=0 as a spatial hypersurface in the exterior region. You can now introduce a time coordinate that is the proper time of stationary observers relative to this hypersurface.

This is not a global coordinate system and eventually the hypersurfaces of equal time coordinate will no longer be spatial, but it is a coordinate system that satisfies the requirement of the time coordinate being the proper time of the world lines of constant spatial coordinates.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
Take Schwarzschild spacetime with regular spatial coordinates and take t=0 as a spatial hypersurface in the exterior region. You can now introduce a time coordinate that is the proper time of stationary observers relative to this hypersurface.

This is not a global coordinate system and eventually the hypersurfaces of equal time coordinate will no longer be spatial, but it is a coordinate system that satisfies the requirement of the time coordinate being the proper time of the world lines of constant spatial coordinates.
Ah, I see where the disconnect is. In the previous thread referred to, there was an additional (if possibly implicit) requirement on the coordinate chart, that its surfaces of constant time be everywhere orthogonal to the congruence. Your chart does not have that property, but you're correct that it does have the other properties we described, at least on some open region within the exterior. (I think the "time extension" of that region goes to zero as the horizon is approached, but of course one can always restrict the region to a minimum value of ##r## that is a finite distance away from the horizon.)

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
In the previous thread referred to, there was an additional (if possibly implicit) requirement on the coordinate chart, that its surfaces of constant time be everywhere orthogonal to the congruence.
Indeed, as PAllen mentioned in #17. If I recall correctly, he was contributing significantly to that thread.

Orodruin said:
ok, they are the 'hovering' observers at fixed ##r,\theta,\phi## Schwarzschild coordinates.

Orodruin said:
but it is a coordinate system that satisfies the requirement of the time coordinate being the proper time of the world lines of constant spatial coordinates.
So, in this specific case, the worldlines in the congruence that define the coordinate chart are not geodesics nor hypersurface orthogonal, however the coordinate chart being defined satisfies the requirement of the time coordinate being the proper time of the world lines of constant spatial coordinates.

cianfa72 said:
nor hypersurface orthogonal
Indeed, not orthogonal to the hypersurfaces of constant time coordinate. They are of course still orthogonal to the hypersurfaces of the regular Schwarzschild time.

Likes vanhees71 and cianfa72
Orodruin said:
This is not a global coordinate system and eventually the hypersurfaces of equal time coordinate will no longer be spatial.
Morever, as you pointed out, the hypersurfaces of constant coordinate time will no longer be spacelike.

cianfa72 said:
As you pointed out morever the hypersurfaces of constant coordinate time will no longer be spacelike.
Initially they will be, but after some time they will become null and after that there will be two timelike coordinates. As @PeterDonis noted in #21, I believe the time until this happens goes to zero as you approach the horizon, but I have not done this computation explicitly.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
Initially they will be, but after some time they will become null and after that there will be two timelike coordinates.
Do you mean 'null hypersurface' and after some coordinate time hypersurfaces with 2 timelike + 1 spacelike directions (coordinates) ?

cianfa72 said:
Do you mean 'null hypersurface' and after some coordinate time hypersurfaces with 2 timelike + 1 spacelike directions (coordinates) ?
No, the hypersurfaces of constant coordinate time will have 2 spacelike (angular) coordinates and one timelike coordinate - meaning 2 timelike coordinates in total.

Orodruin said:
but I have not done this computation explicitly.
I have now done the computation. Unless I did some arithmetic errors in the haste, the hypersurfaces become null at ##t=\pm 2r^2/r_S##, with ##t## being the usual Schwarzschild time, which does not go to zero as ##r\to r_S##. However, expressed in the new time coordinate ##\tau = (1-r_S/r)^{1/2}t##, this corresponds to ##\tau = 2r^2(1-r_S/r)^{1/2}/r_S##, which does go to zero.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, sysprog and cianfa72
Orodruin said:
No, the hypersurfaces of constant coordinate time will have 2 spacelike (angular) coordinates and one timelike coordinate - meaning 2 timelike coordinates in total.
Ah ok, you actually mean 2 spacelike + 1 timelike coordinates on the hypersurface plus 1 timelike coordinate adapted to the timelike worldlines in the congruence.

Btw, ##\tau = (1-r_S/r)^{1/2}t## should be the proper time of an 'hovering' observer at fixed Schwarzschild coordinate ##r## given in term of Schwarzschild coordinate time ##t## (##\tau## becomes the coordinate time of the coordinate chart being defined).

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Btw, τ=(1−rS/r)1/2t should be the proper time of an 'hovering' observer at fixed Schwarzschild coordinate r given in term of Schwarzschild coordinate time t (τ becomes the coordinate time of the coordinate chart being defined).
It is indeed, as mentioned in #29

1. What is a synchronous frame?

A synchronous frame, also known as an inertial frame, is a reference frame in which the laws of physics hold true and objects move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is a synchronous frame different from a non-synchronous frame?

A synchronous frame is different from a non-synchronous frame in that in a synchronous frame, the laws of physics hold true and objects move at a constant velocity, whereas in a non-synchronous frame, the laws of physics may not hold true and objects may not move at a constant velocity due to external forces.

3. What is a coordinate chart?

A coordinate chart is a mathematical tool used to map points in a coordinate system to points in another coordinate system. It allows for the conversion of coordinates between different reference frames.

4. How do synchronous frames and coordinate charts relate to each other?

Synchronous frames and coordinate charts are closely related as coordinate charts are used to map points between synchronous frames. They allow for the comparison and analysis of physical phenomena in different reference frames.

5. Why are synchronous frames and coordinate charts important in science?

Synchronous frames and coordinate charts are important in science because they allow for the comparison and analysis of physical phenomena in different reference frames. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects and systems in different environments and conditions.