Synchronous machine problem (not homework)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a national-level engineering exam in India, where the task is to find the ratio of excitations between two synchronous motors acting as synchronous condensers. The solution involves calculating reactive power and solving equations, which can be time-consuming. The person asking for help is looking for a quicker and more efficient way to solve the problem. They mention the importance of using conceptual tricks and test-taking strategies in this type of exam. Towards the end, the person discovers a simpler method and considers the conversation solved.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Here's a question from a national-level engineering exam in India called GATE (2017).
It is for 2 marks, numerical answer type.

Two synchronous motors A and B in parallel with identical O.C. characteristics are acting as synchronous condensers and supply a total reactive power of 50MVAR to the grid. The grid is operating at 11kV. If the synchronous reactances of A and B are 1 ohm and 3 ohm respectively and current through both the machines is the same, find the ratio of excitations of A and B i.e. excitation of A/excitation of B.

I got the answer as 0.744 and it is correct. (The answer key says anything in the range 0.72 to 0.78 is acceptable).

Here is my solution:
Since the machines are acting as synchronous condensers, active power is zero, which means power angle for both the machines is zero.

So, we can write the equation for reactive power as,
EA*11-112+EB*11/3-112/3=50.
This simplifies to,

33EA+11EB=634...1)

Since both the currents are same,
EA-11=(EB-11)/3
which simplifies to

3EA-EB=22...2)

Solving 1) and 2) gives EA=13.27 kV and Eb=17.82kV.
So, their ratio is 0.744.
(I did not convert line quantities into phase quantities as the equations are scaled down by a factor of 3, which gets canceled out and we again get the equation in terms of line quantities).
Is there a simpler and faster way of doing it?

Because these calculations take time, while the expected time is roughly 2.7 minutes/problem. There are 65 questions and you get 3 hrs.
Of course no one attempts all the questions but still, the maximum time you can afford to spend on a question is 4-5 minutes and they asked this question for only 2 marks. Is there any short-cut or some conceptual trick? This exam is all about using conceptual tricks and short cuts and the way I solved it, it is worth at least 6 marks.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to do more research on this particular test. You should definitely consider employing some test taking strategies, which ensure that you do not get bogged down taking too much time on some questions (especially in relation to their point values).

Thanks @berkeman for moving the thread here. And I'm glad that after drawing a couple of phasor diagrams, I found a much easier way to do it. It does save a lot of time!:smile:We know Q=50MVAR.
So,
Q=S=VI
∴I=Q/V i.e I=50/11 kA.
Since I=IA+IB and IA=IB,
IA=IB=50/22 kA.Since the network is reactive and active power is zero, EA, EB and grid voltage 11kV are all in phase.
So,
EA/EB=(11+50*1/11)/(11+50*3/11)=292/392=0.744

This looks like the most obvious way of doing it:-p. Don't know why I complicated it earlier..o:)

I'll mark it solved now.

Likes jim hardy and berkeman

1. What is a synchronous machine problem?

A synchronous machine problem refers to any issue or malfunction that occurs in a synchronous machine, which is a type of electric machine that operates with a constant speed and is commonly used for generating power in power plants.

2. What are some common causes of synchronous machine problems?

The most common causes of synchronous machine problems include electrical faults, mechanical failures, control system malfunctions, and improper maintenance or operation.

3. How can synchronous machine problems be diagnosed?

Synchronous machine problems can be diagnosed by conducting various tests and analyses, such as visual inspections, insulation resistance tests, vibration analysis, and electrical measurements. These tests can help identify the root cause of the problem and determine the necessary repairs or adjustments.

4. What are some potential solutions for synchronous machine problems?

The appropriate solution for a synchronous machine problem will depend on the specific issue and its severity. Some potential solutions may include repairing or replacing faulty components, adjusting the control system, or performing maintenance tasks such as cleaning and lubrication.

5. How can synchronous machine problems be prevented?

To prevent synchronous machine problems, regular maintenance and inspections should be performed to identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems. Additionally, proper operation and following maintenance guidelines can help prevent issues from arising in the first place.