System of ODE - comparison with paper

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of differential equations for the functions A(r) and B(r), which are the two components of a spinor. By solving the first equation for B and substituting it into the second equation, a second-order differential equation for A is obtained, which is the modified Bessel equation. Similarly, by solving the second equation for A and substituting it back into the first equation, a second-order differential equation for B is obtained, also the modified Bessel equation. However, the solutions given in a paper being studied are different from what is expected, indicating a possible error in the paper or a misreading.
dimandr
I have the following system of differential equations, for the functions ##A(r)## and ##B(r)##:

##A'-\frac{m}{r}A=(\epsilon+1)B##

and

##-B' -\frac{m+1}{r}B=(\epsilon-1)A##

##m## and ##\epsilon## are constants, with ##\epsilon<1##. The functions ##A## and ##B## are the two components of a spinor.
By solving the first equation for ##B##, and substituting in the other one, we get a second-order differential for ##A##.Its solutions are modified Bessel functions, and due to the boundary conditions that I have, only those of the first kind are admissable solutions. Having solved for ##A##, going back to the first equation, we can find ##B##. Consequently, ##B=\frac{1}{\epsilon+1}...##. However, in a paper I am studying, the solution to this system is given by ##A=(\epsilon-1)(I_{m})## and ##B=I_{m+1}##. I understand the modified Bessel function part, but the prefactors seem odd to me. Even if we start by solving for ##B## instead of ##A## in the beginning, still ##A## ought to be equal to ##\frac{1}{\epsilon-1} *...## as is given by the second equation. Does anyone have any idea how to reach this result?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation I get for [itex]B[/itex] is [tex]
r^2B'' + (1 + \epsilon m)rB' - ((m+1)^2 - \epsilon m(m+1) + (1 - \epsilon^2)r^2)B = 0
[/tex] which is not the modified Bessel equation [tex]
r^2I_\alpha'' + rI_\alpha' - (r^2 + \alpha^2)I_\alpha = 0
[/tex] except when [itex]\epsilon = 0[/itex], and if [itex]\epsilon = 0[/itex] then [itex]A = I_m[/itex].

I agree that if you substitute [itex]B = I_{m+1}[/itex] into [tex]
B' + \frac{m+1}r B = (1 - \epsilon) A[/tex] then you obtain [itex]I_m = (1 - \epsilon)A[/itex], so either the paper contains an error or you have misread it.

pasmith said:
The equation I get for [itex]B[/itex] is [tex]
r^2B'' + (1 + \epsilon m)rB' - ((m+1)^2 - \epsilon m(m+1) + (1 - \epsilon^2)r^2)B = 0
[/tex] which is not the modified Bessel equation [tex]
r^2I_\alpha'' + rI_\alpha' - (r^2 + \alpha^2)I_\alpha = 0
[/tex] except when [itex]\epsilon = 0[/itex], and if [itex]\epsilon = 0[/itex] then [itex]A = I_m[/itex].

I agree that if you substitute [itex]B = I_{m+1}[/itex] into [tex]
B' + \frac{m+1}r B = (1 - \epsilon) A[/tex] then you obtain [itex]I_m = (1 - \epsilon)A[/itex], so either the paper contains an error or you have misread it.
How exactly did you derive this equation for ##B##?

From the first equation, you have that: ##B=\frac{1}{\epsilon+1}(A'-\frac{m}{r}A)##. When you substitute this expression into the second equation, you get:

## -(A''+\frac{m}{r^2}A-\frac{m}{r}A') -\frac{m+1}{r}(A'-\frac{m}{r}A)=(\epsilon+1)(\epsilon-1)A##.

Each term in parenthesis in the left-hand side, corresponds to each term of the left-hand side of the second equation, namely ##B'## and ##B##. Doing all the necessary calculations, you end up with this equation for the component #A#:

## A'' +\frac{1}{r}A' -\frac{m^2}{r^2}A=(1-\epsilon^2) A ## which is indeed the modified Bessel equation.

If you begin by solving the second equation for ##A## and then substitute back in the first one, you get a second-order differential equation for ##B## which is again modified Bessel equation, but of order ##m+1##. However you decide to solve it, you first have to solve either one of these two differential equations and then use the first or the second equation to solve for the other component, since ##A## and ##B## are coupled.

I appear to have made an error in obtaining the equation for [itex]B[/itex]; it should be [tex]
r^2B'' + rB' - \left( (m + 1)^2 + (1 - \epsilon^2)r^2\right)B = 0[/tex] and now changing variables to [itex]x = (1 - \epsilon^2)^{1/2}r[/itex] indeed recovers the modified Bessel equation so that [itex]B(r) = I_{m+1}((1 - \epsilon^2)^{1/2}r)[/itex].

It then follows that [itex]A(r) = \frac{1}{1 - \epsilon} I_m((1 - \epsilon^2)^{1/2}r)[/itex].

1. What is a System of ODE?

A system of ordinary differential equations (ODE) is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables and their derivatives. These equations are used to model systems that change over time, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

2. How is a System of ODE typically solved?

There are various methods for solving a system of ODE, including analytical methods and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve using mathematical techniques to find a closed-form solution, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate a solution.

3. What is the importance of comparing a System of ODE with a paper?

Comparing a System of ODE with a paper allows for validation and verification of the model. It helps to ensure that the equations and parameters used in the model accurately reflect the real-world system being studied.

4. What factors should be considered when comparing a System of ODE with a paper?

When comparing a System of ODE with a paper, factors such as the assumptions made in the model, the data used to calibrate the model, and the accuracy of the results should be taken into account. It is also important to consider the context and limitations of the paper being referenced.

5. How can discrepancies between the System of ODE and the paper be addressed?

If discrepancies are found between the System of ODE and the paper, they can be addressed by adjusting the model parameters, refining the equations, or incorporating additional data. It may also be necessary to critically evaluate the paper and its methodology to determine the source of the discrepancies.