Systems Engineering QFD on an Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft

In summary: Suppose you make a list of aircraft characteristics (flyaway cost, operating cost/hour, thrust, cargo size, speed, landing strip requirements, maneuverability, range, crew size, etc.). Then you can develop a matrix of the relationships between the two sets.I would dispute that statement, expecially with respect to the latest FF air-drop fixed wing aircraft.That's a fair point. I didn't mention those specifically because they are newer and presumably more efficient.Also, since you are wanting to think about the overall system design, consider how to improve situational awareness of the aircraft in the Fire Zone, and improve communications.That's a good point.
ashah99
Homework Statement
Coming up with a QFD (House of Quality) list on an Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft
Relevant Equations
None
Hi everyone, I am currently taking an aerospace systems engineering course and right now, the focus is on Quality Function Deployment (QFD), which is basically a method driven by customer requirements, which can capture customer requirements and systematically convert them into engineering characteristics and quantitative design parameters. I'm looking to come up with as many customer needs and engineering characteristics as possible based on the topic of designing an aerial fire-fighting aircraft for wildfire response. The majority of the aircraft currently in service for firefighting purposes are modified commercial or military airframes, which creates inefficiencies and affects payload delivery. As for needs, I would say maximizing fire retardant capacity, payload drop, savings lives, etc, but really struggling with the engineering aspects of the QFD table.

I wanted to brainstorm with this thread to see how I should approach this problem from a systems perspective. Appreciate any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no experience with this, but since you are only asking to "brainstorm":
Suppose you make a list of aircraft characteristics (flyaway cost, operating cost/hour, thrust, cargo size, speed, landing strip requirements, maneuverability, range, crew size, etc.). Then you can develop a matrix of the relationships between the two sets.

PS. If you are in Aeronautical engineering, you may be able to put these qualities into more specific terms.

Last edited:
ashah99 said:
The majority of the aircraft currently in service for firefighting purposes are modified commercial or military airframes, which creates inefficiencies and affects payload delivery.
I would dispute that statement, expecially with respect to the latest FF air-drop fixed wing aircraft. Do you know which aircraft I'm referring to? (the latest and greatest)

Last edited:
ashah99 said:
I wanted to brainstorm with this thread to see how I should approach this problem from a systems perspective.

Also, since you are wanting to think about the overall system design, consider how to improve situational awareness of the aircraft in the Fire Zone, and improve communications. Consider this very troubling failure (from my perspective, I could have been on the ground near this...), and what improvements in the overall systems you could propose to prevent this problem:

1654470559149.png

https://www.firehouse.com/safety-he...y-injured-in-hermits-peak-wildfire-water-drop

ashah99 said:
Homework Statement:: Coming up with a QFD (House of Quality) list on an Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft
Relevant Equations:: None

The majority of the aircraft currently in service for firefighting purposes are modified commercial or military airframes, which creates inefficiencies and affects payload delivery.
Maybe. But engineering real world products is an exercise in cost-benefit. There are huge savings in using existing proven designs with lower manufacturing, service, and operational costs. If you design the best ever air tanker, but it's too expensive, no one will buy it.

Likes berkeman and FactChecker
ashah99 said:
IMHO, it is premature to state this before any analysis is done. There are a wide variety of airplanes and some may fit the requirements very well. Modifications can be much less expensive than an entirely new design and production effort.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Systems Engineering QFD?

Systems Engineering QFD (Quality Function Deployment) is a methodology used to ensure that a product or system meets the needs and expectations of its users. It involves identifying the customer's requirements and translating them into specific design and engineering features.

2. How is Systems Engineering QFD applied to Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft?

In the case of Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft, Systems Engineering QFD is used to determine the necessary features and capabilities of the aircraft to effectively fight fires. This includes considering factors such as speed, water carrying capacity, maneuverability, and communication systems.

3. What are the benefits of using Systems Engineering QFD on Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft?

The use of Systems Engineering QFD on Aerial Fire Fighting Aircraft helps to ensure that the aircraft is designed and built to meet the specific needs and expectations of its users. This can result in a more efficient and effective aircraft, leading to improved fire-fighting capabilities and potentially saving lives and property.

4. What are the steps involved in Systems Engineering QFD?

The steps involved in Systems Engineering QFD typically include identifying customer needs and requirements, prioritizing those needs, translating them into specific design features, and continuously evaluating and improving the product or system to meet those needs.

5. How is Systems Engineering QFD different from other design methodologies?

Systems Engineering QFD differs from other design methodologies in that it focuses on meeting the needs and expectations of the end-user, rather than just meeting technical specifications. It also involves continuous evaluation and improvement, rather than just a one-time design process.