T Section Lowpass LC Filter Frequency Formula

In summary, Dave says to use Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit transformations to reduce the complexity of the circuit. He includes source and load impedances in his model. He recalls using Norton theorem, with resistive circuits.
Laserray
I have been trying to find out how the cutoff equation for the T section LC Lowpass filter is derived. I remember from college that f=1/(2pi√(LC)) for an LC circuit. But, with the T section, the cutoff frequency is given by f=1/(pi√(LC)), with L being the sum of the two inductors. My math has gotten very weak since college and I really could use some help figuring out how you get to that latter equation. I have searched the web for hours and can't find explanations, just calculators. I don't really want to spend the next several days poring over my old electronics textbooks trying to relearn the theory. Can anyone give me some pointers here (please keep it on the simple side, there are some serious ruts in this 65 year old brain). Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try use Thevenin/Norton equivalent circuit transformations to reduce the complexity of the circuit. Remember to include source and load impedances in your model.

I vaguely recall using Norton theorem, with resistive circuits. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the pointer Dave. You are really challenging these old brain cells (its in there, but hasn't been accessed in 50 some years).

Same as for resistors, just use Zl = sL for inductors & Zc = 1/(sC) for capacitors, s = 2πfj.

Thanks again Dave. Funny how seeing various letters arranged a certain way on the screen (or page) can trigger memory pathways. As soon as I saw the impedance equations in your reply, I said to myself "Yep! that rings a bell". Now, I have a job to get the rest of the brain cells firing. Let's see, I wonder if there are any threads on this forum to determine how thick dust would be on a book sitting on a shelf for 40 years (actually only 31, we moved in 1987). Have great day. Ray

Constant K filter. Z1 ⋅ Z2 = K2

Z0 = √(Z1Z2) = √(L/C)
Z1 = XL1
Z2 =CC1

L = R/(π⋅fc)
C = 1/(π⋅fc⋅R)
fc = 1/(π⋅√(L⋅C))

Code:
-----L1---+-----------
          |
          |  C1
         ----
         ----
          |
          |
----------+-----------

-----L1/2---+----L1/2-------
            |
            |  C1
           ----
           ----
            |
            |
------------+---------------

------+----L1-----+-----------
      |           |
      |  C1/2     |  C1/2
     ----        ----
     ----        ----
      |           |
      |           |
------+------------+-----------

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom. But darn,I was kind of looking forward to the challenge of doing the Norton analysis. Now I prob will have to make myself do it. That's ok, thanks for your help. Have great day. Ray

1. What is a T Section Lowpass LC Filter?

A T Section Lowpass LC Filter is an electronic circuit that is used to filter out unwanted high frequency signals from a given input signal. It consists of two inductors and one capacitor arranged in a T-shaped configuration.

2. What is the purpose of a T Section Lowpass LC Filter?

The main purpose of a T Section Lowpass LC Filter is to reduce or eliminate high frequency noise or interference from a signal, thus improving the overall quality of the signal. It is commonly used in audio and RF circuits.

3. What is the formula for calculating the cut-off frequency of a T Section Lowpass LC Filter?

The formula for calculating the cut-off frequency of a T Section Lowpass LC Filter is fc = 1/(2π√(LC)), where fc is the cut-off frequency, L is the value of the inductors in the circuit, and C is the value of the capacitor.

4. How does the value of the capacitor affect the cut-off frequency of a T Section Lowpass LC Filter?

The value of the capacitor directly affects the cut-off frequency of a T Section Lowpass LC Filter. A higher value of capacitance will result in a lower cut-off frequency, which means more high frequency signals will be filtered out. Similarly, a lower value of capacitance will result in a higher cut-off frequency.

5. Is the T Section Lowpass LC Filter frequency formula applicable to all types of circuits?

Yes, the T Section Lowpass LC Filter frequency formula is applicable to all types of circuits as long as they follow the T-shaped configuration with two inductors and one capacitor. However, the values of L and C may vary depending on the specific application and desired cut-off frequency.