Tachyons and imaginary numbers?

Thank you.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tachyons and their mathematical and physical possibility. It also touches on the reliability of scientific sources and the importance of putting effort into learning. The conversation ends with a mention of the OP's interest in photography and their avatar featuring a photo of Einstein.
Physics news on Phys.org
Excuse me, I meant “imaginary” numbers

BadgerBadger92 said:
not mathematically possible?
Well of course it's mathematically possible; that's what imaginary numbers are.
Do you mean how is it physically possible?

Likes topsquark
DaveC426913 said:
Well of course it's mathematically possible; that's what imaginary numbers are.
Do you mean how is it physically possible?
Yes, but also on videos (maybe not a good source) they said it’s impossible to get the square root of a negative number

Imaginary numbers are employed regularly in applied physics in areas such as circuitry and signal processing, so "imaginary" isn't really imaginary. It's useful concept that models some real-world phenomena well.

Apparently, it also models hypothetical tachyons well.

Likes topsquark and BadgerBadger92
BadgerBadger92 said:
on videos (maybe not a good source)
No maybe about it. Normally we would ask for a specific reference, but in this case there's no point. You shouldn't be trying to learn physics (or math, for that matter) from random videos.

Likes topsquark
BadgerBadger92 said:
Yes, but also on videos (maybe not a good source) they said it’s impossible to get the square root of a negative number
Well, they'd be wrong*.

The square root of -1 is i.

*not really wrong - it's all about context. In vanilla math, one can't do it - but that's because one hasn't been introduced to imaginary numbers yet.

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
No maybe about it. Normally we would ask for a specific reference, but in this case there's no point. You shouldn't be trying to learn physics (or math, for that matter) from random videos.
I’ve been learning a lot of math on YouTube, but I’m thinking about just buying books for now on

Sorry if I’m bothering you guys

BadgerBadger92 said:
I’ve been learning a lot of math on YouTube, but I’m thinking about just buying books for now on

Sorry if I’m bothering you guys
It is no bother. You are asking questions. That's a good thing.

Likes berkeman and topsquark
BadgerBadger92 said:
Unfortunately this article looks to me like another example of why Scientific American is no longer reliable as a layman's source of information (and hasn't been for quite some time--I stopped my subscription a couple of decades ago). Neither quantum tunneling, nor correlated measurement results on EPR photons, are examples of anything traveling "faster than light". The article headline is basically click bait.

The abstract of the actual paper referenced in the article is here:

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.77.1254

Key phrase: the "tachyonlike excitations...do not violate Einstein causality". That means nothing is actually traveling "faster than light" (and it also means that whatever is actually happening can be modeled without having to use any actual tachyons with imaginary masses).

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
Unfortunately this article looks to me like another example of why Scientific American is no longer reliable as a layman's source of information (and hasn't been for quite some time--I stopped my subscription a couple of decades ago). Neither quantum tunneling, nor correlated measurement results on EPR photons, are examples of anything traveling "faster than light". The article headline is basically click bait.

The abstract of the actual paper referenced in the article is here:

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.77.1254

Key phrase: the "tachyonlike excitations...do not violate Einstein causality". That means nothing is actually traveling "faster than light" (and it also means that whatever is actually happening can be modeled without having to use any actual tachyons with imaginary masses).
Yeah I’m starting to learn that the hard way. Good news however, I’ve been pushing myself mathematically. When I get enough money I will be buying “Algebra and Trigonometry” by Blitzer. It’s a college textbook so I assume that it will be a great source

Likes Dale
DaveC426913 said:
It is no bother. You are asking questions. That's a good thing.
Thank you. Just I’m not very “popular” around here.

BadgerBadger92 said:
I’m not very “popular” around here.
You can change.
  • For example, you should select appropriate levels for you threads, which in your case is B. Pretending you know more than you do helps nobody.
  • You can respond to the threads you start, not just half of them.
  • You can think about what people are saying before replying: - your replies took 0, 1 and 5 minutes. If people spend time posting replies that you don't consider, of course they are going to be unhappy with you. A natural conclusion is that you don't want to put in the effort to learn.
  • You might think about your avatar. You might think you are another Einstein, but that doesn't mean everybody does.

Vanadium 50 said:
You can change.
  • For example, you should select appropriate levels for you threads, which in your case is B. Pretending you know more than you do helps nobody.
  • You can respond to the threads you start, not just half of them.
  • You can think about what people are saying before replying: - your replies took 0, 1 and 5 minutes. If people spend time posting replies that you don't consider, of course they are going to be unhappy with you. A natural conclusion is that you don't want to put in the effort to learn.
  • You might think about your avatar. You might think you are another Einstein, but that doesn't mean everybody does.
I like photography and it’s my favorite photo of Einstein.

After moderator review, the thread will remain closed as the OP question has been addressed.

Likes topsquark

1. What are tachyons and how do they differ from other particles?

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light. Unlike other particles, they have imaginary mass and can only travel faster than light, never slower.

2. What is the significance of imaginary numbers in relation to tachyons?

Imaginary numbers are often used in the mathematical equations that describe tachyons. This is because tachyons have imaginary mass, which means their mass is represented by imaginary numbers.

3. Can tachyons actually exist in our universe?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that tachyons exist in our universe. However, they are a possibility in certain theoretical models and are still being studied by scientists.

4. What are some potential applications of tachyons?

If tachyons were to exist, they could potentially be used for faster-than-light communication or travel. They could also help us better understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. Are there any experiments being conducted to study tachyons?

There have been some experiments conducted to try and detect tachyons, but so far, none have been successful. However, scientists continue to explore different methods and technologies to study these elusive particles.