About to get my Math undergrad -- What now?

• Math
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary: Summary, PF is seeking advice on what to do after graduation with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts mathematics and a physics minor. They have a 3.0 GPA and one published paper, as well as experience in tutoring. They are considering applying for a new data science masters program at their university, but are unsure about its quality. They are also thinking about moving to a country where their degree would be valued and potentially becoming an online tutor while living in a poorer country. They are also interested in teaching math, potentially without an education degree, and are open to working part-time or attending a low-tier graduate school with waived tuition and a stipend. They are looking for any feedback or ideas from others.
PsychonautQQ
Hey PF, since you're all so good at helping me with my homework maybe you can help me figure out my life as well :P.

edit: below are many ideas I've had about what to do after I graduate it. If anyone could offer insight into any of these topics or give me new ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated it. Thanks dudes!

I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in liberal arts Mathematics and a physics minor. I don't go to a special school, just a standard 4 year Wisconsin university, not Madison or anything fancy like that. My GPA is around a 3.0 and I have one published paper. I also tutored for a year. I'll be able to receive strong letters of recommendation in whatever I pursue.

So yeah, I don't have the strongest resume of all time, but it ain't bad. I also haven't worked since I was 19 and I'm 26 now (woot for financial aid and living in grandma's basement).

I have a few ideas rolling around in my head that i'll share, and if you have any crazy random ideas I didn't mention please let me know.

I could apply for a new data science masters program my school is starting. However it seems to be a pretty shallow program that just touches the surface of true data science, it seems more like a watered down statistics master really, I mean some of the courses I would have to take to complete my masters are MARKETING classes (that's a bad sign right?) They say that the wanted to the program to be well rounded. Lolamirite?

Another idea is that I could move somewhere where my degree would provide me with a nice job and a good salary for wherever I'm living. Are there any countries that would love to have someone with my resume? Are degree's from American universities held in high regard anywhere on this planet?

Another idea was that I wanted to get into online tutoring. One plan I was thinking is that I want to tutor American/Western students whilst living in a poorer country, this way I could make money from clients in richer nations while living in a poorer one, so my hourly fee that I charge would go further than if I was still in America. Is this possible? If so, can anyone help me learn about being an online tutor or recommend a nice country/city I could make my headquarters in? (by headquarters I mean home :D).

Also, I do love teaching/tutoring math. Is there any country I could go teach math in that wouldn't require me to have an education degree? Perhaps my tutoring experience would help. Maybe online tutoring could help me build a resume for real teaching? I also have a 100 hour TEFL (teaching english foreign language) certificate, but i'd rather teach Math than English :P.

Another option is just stay in my home town and work part time at some easy job that I'm overqualified for. There is a nice family christian store I'm applying for and also a Tobacco/pipe shop i'll probably apply to.

What I really wanted to do was go to graduate school in Aberdeen, the school I study abroad at. I learned however that they don't ever really wave tuition's for Americans (or anyone really I think) and yeah it just looks more and more like that's not going to happen.

Here's a big question for anyone who can answer: Are there any low tier graduate schools out there that I would be able to land some type of position (anything really!) in which I get my tuition waved and a meager stipend? If I could get my tuition waved and a meager stipend ANYWHERE for ANYTHING then I think I'd want to do it, I don't need much money to be content and I'd much rather go to school than work.So yeah, obviously I'm not looking for anyone to answer all my questions/ponderings, but if you have any feedback for this lost soul, feel free to share :D.

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
Hey PF, since you're all so good at helping me with my homework maybe you can help me figure out my life as well :P.

edit: below are many ideas I've had about what to do after I graduate it. If anyone could offer insight into any of these topics or give me new ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated it. Thanks dudes!

I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in liberal arts Mathematics and a physics minor. I don't go to a special school, just a standard 4 year Wisconsin university, not Madison or anything fancy like that. My GPA is around a 3.0 and I have one published paper. I also tutored for a year. I'll be able to receive strong letters of recommendation in whatever I pursue.

So yeah, I don't have the strongest resume of all time, but it ain't bad. I also haven't worked since I was 19 and I'm 26 now (woot for financial aid and living in grandma's basement).

I have a few ideas rolling around in my head that i'll share, and if you have any crazy random ideas I didn't mention please let me know.

I could apply for a new data science masters program my school is starting. However it seems to be a pretty shallow program that just touches the surface of true data science, it seems more like a watered down statistics master really, I mean some of the courses I would have to take to complete my masters are MARKETING classes (that's a bad sign right?) They say that the wanted to the program to be well rounded. Lolamirite?

Another idea is that I could move somewhere where my degree would provide me with a nice job and a good salary for wherever I'm living. Are there any countries that would love to have someone with my resume? Are degree's from American universities held in high regard anywhere on this planet?

Another idea was that I wanted to get into online tutoring. One plan I was thinking is that I want to tutor American/Western students whilst living in a poorer country, this way I could make money from clients in richer nations while living in a poorer one, so my hourly fee that I charge would go further than if I was still in America. Is this possible? If so, can anyone help me learn about being an online tutor or recommend a nice country/city I could make my headquarters in? (by headquarters I mean home :D).

Also, I do love teaching/tutoring math. Is there any country I could go teach math in that wouldn't require me to have an education degree? Perhaps my tutoring experience would help. Maybe online tutoring could help me build a resume for real teaching? I also have a 100 hour TEFL (teaching english foreign language) certificate, but i'd rather teach Math than English :P.

Another option is just stay in my home town and work part time at some easy job that I'm overqualified for. There is a nice family christian store I'm applying for and also a Tobacco/pipe shop i'll probably apply to.

What I really wanted to do was go to graduate school in Aberdeen, the school I study abroad at. I learned however that they don't ever really wave tuition's for Americans (or anyone really I think) and yeah it just looks more and more like that's not going to happen.

Here's a big question for anyone who can answer: Are there any low tier graduate schools out there that I would be able to land some type of position (anything really!) in which I get my tuition waved and a meager stipend? If I could get my tuition waved and a meager stipend ANYWHERE for ANYTHING then I think I'd want to do it, I don't need much money to be content and I'd much rather go to school than work.So yeah, obviously I'm not looking for anyone to answer all my questions/ponderings, but if you have any feedback for this lost soul, feel free to share :D.
First, I'm not an expert, just a retired M.S. level physics/engineering graduate that worked as an engineer my whole career.

I taught part time in Community Colleges also know as Junior Colleges. You might check out a full time position in such a school. Also, a masters degree and really a PhD might be best for mathematics if you can spend more time in school.

Regarding Aberdeen, my opinion is just go there and get any job you can. Then pester the school on a continuing basis, take anything, even part time teaching (adjunct). Be tenacious. Don't give up. Never give up! Go for the dream first. What do you have to lose? You'll regret giving up. Find a way to pay the higher tuition. Check into various grants. There's probably going to be some way to help do it.

Likes PsychonautQQ
bob012345 said:
First, I'm not an expert, just a retired M.S. level physics/engineering graduate that worked as an engineer my whole career.

I taught part time in Community Colleges also know as Junior Colleges. You might check out a full time position in such a school. Also, a masters degree and really a PhD might be best for mathematics if you can spend more time in school.

Regarding Aberdeen, my opinion is just go there and get any job you can. Then pester the school on a continuing basis, take anything, even part time teaching (adjunct). Be tenacious. Don't give up. Never give up! Go for the dream first. What do you have to lose? You'll regret giving up. Find a way to pay the higher tuition. Check into various grants. There's probably going to be some way to help do it.
What kind of full time position could I possibly get at a community college? Are there research positions at such places or are you saying I could be a math instructor even though I only have a math undergrad? Thanks for the response by the way I appreciate it.

Yeah, I mean as of right now being a researcher at Aberdeen would be cool but it's not a set in stone dream, other things could be just as cool really.

1. What types of career options are available with a Math undergraduate degree?

There are a variety of career options available to those with a Math undergraduate degree. Some common fields include finance, data analysis, statistics, computer science, and teaching. However, a Math degree can also be applied to many other industries such as engineering, research, and even healthcare.

2. Should I pursue further education after completing my Math undergraduate degree?

It depends on your career goals. If you are interested in research or academia, pursuing a graduate degree may be beneficial. However, if you are interested in entering the workforce immediately, gaining work experience and developing your skills may be more valuable.

3. What skills do I need to succeed in a Math undergraduate program?

To succeed in a Math undergraduate program, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in math concepts. Additionally, time-management, critical thinking, and communication skills are also important for success in this field.

4. How can I prepare for a Math undergraduate program?

To prepare for a Math undergraduate program, it is helpful to have a strong background in math, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. You can also familiarize yourself with basic programming skills and software commonly used in the field, such as Excel and MATLAB. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also be beneficial.

5. What are some resources available for Math undergraduates?

There are many resources available for Math undergraduates, including tutoring services, study groups, and online resources. Your university may also have a Math department or club that offers additional support and resources. Additionally, staying organized and regularly communicating with professors can also be helpful in navigating the program successfully.